Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax file number mess help

Options
  • 18-03-2016 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone knew how you could change your tax file number from non resident to resident. I think I may have clicked non resident when applying for my tfn and now I'm getting taxed just under a third of my wages which I cannot live on if I'm going to be taxed ao heavily.
    Can anyone help me out on this one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Call the ATO. Are you a resident for tax purposes?

I think, even on a WHV you are a resident for tax purposes.

Like I said, simple call to the tax office will resolve it.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/

Example: Foreign resident

Lars lives in Munich and is granted a 12 month working holiday visa. He plans to return to Munich, and resume his career as a carpenter, after his 12 month working holiday in Australia.

Lars arrives in August 2011 and has five different jobs while he travels around Australia, visiting every capital city during his 12 month stay. He stays in no place for longer than two months.

Lars only works for seven of the 12 months he is in Australia as he is primarily here to see as much as he can, picking up carpentry work to supplement his funds as he travels.

Lars is not an Australian resident for tax purposes. Although he is in Australia for more than six months in the year ended 30 June 2012, he is considered a foreign resident for tax purposes as his usual home is outside Australia.

or do you fit into this example:

Example: Australian resident for tax purposes

Kate is from Ireland and has a working holiday visa. She stayed in Sydney for most of the 12 months she was in Australia.

Kate had a one week holiday travelling up the east coast just after arriving in Sydney, and another two week holiday at Byron Bay. She spent the last three weeks of her stay in Australia travelling around Western Australia.

Kate lived in share accommodation at one location for four weeks in Sydney and share accommodation at another location in Sydney for ten months. Kate's name was put on the lease and she made a part contribution to the bond.

Kate worked in coffee shops and restaurants throughout the whole period she was in Sydney. Kate joined a library, the Irish club and a water polo club while staying in Sydney.

Kate's behaviour during the time spent in Australia reflects a degree of continuity, routine or habit that is consistent with residing here. Kate is considered to be an Australian resident for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jenasaurus

Thank you that really helped a lot ☺

Advertisement