Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping Beauticians

Options
  • 18-03-2016 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Just a general query on this if people don't mind.

What's the general thoughts on tipping a beautician? I know we or most people do tip their hairdresser but is it the same for a beautician?

I'm talking about things like after you get a facial / massage etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

The girls at work seem to tip between 10-20% for eyelashes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Thanks..

Just wondering what people might expect etc.

If you're getting a facial treatment which is setting you back €100 should you leave €10 on top of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I am a beauty therapist and tipping is not expected at all. If you decide to leave something, it's at your own discretion. They aren't going to think you're mean if you don't. And there's no set guidelines. I've been tipped 1 euro right up to 20 euro.

Showing up on time and clean to your appointment is tip enough for your therapist, and most people do that so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I rarely tip at beauticians or hairdressers. The price of the services are usually high enough and I don't see a reason to tip, unless there has been some exceptional service.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

For me this is across the board - I don't tip unless it is truly exceptional, and I've not tipped a hairdresser or beauty therapist yet. In the US their hourly rate is pitiful due to the expected tips; in Ireland the hourly rate is higher. I would believe most staff are earning at least the same as (if not more than) me an hour. I don't get tipped for completing a report for a customer, so I don't grasp the point of tipping for something I'm already being charged for.

• Advertisement

on_my_oe wrote: »
    For me this is across the board - I don't tip unless it is truly exceptional, and I've not tipped a hairdresser or beauty therapist yet. In the US their hourly rate is pitiful due to the expected tips; in Ireland the hourly rate is higher. I would believe most staff are earning at least the same as (if not more than) me an hour. I don't get tipped for completing a report for a customer, so I don't grasp the point of tipping for something I'm already being charged for.

Would agree with this on the whole. That said, I always tip my hairdresser because I'm outrageous for leaving things to the last minute so when I call up, he'll always squeeze me in.
    I have a lady who always tips me generously, too generously. She's a devil for not making appointments and will walk in just as you're about to close, or if you're out the door busy. She's always so lovely, and so grateful though that I'll never tell her were too busy, I'll always fit her in, if that means working into my break or staying a few minutes late, and it's not because she tips but because she appreciates my work, she's a regular client and she's a ray of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

And those are great examples of being exceptional :)

(And to be fair, if I found a therapist like you nearby, I might go more often!)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

I don't tip hairdressers or beauticians either. Personally, I don't see why I would go and spend €120 to get my hair done and have to tip them on top of that. It's a service at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I tip hairdressers and beauticians and then come home and moan about it!!!! I always go in determined not to tip and then when I'm paying I always feel horrible and mean if I don't.

Really something I need to work on!!!!

amor3 wrote: »
    I tip hairdressers and beauticians and then come home and moan about it!!!! I always go in determined not to tip and then when I'm paying I always feel horrible and mean if I don't.

Really something I need to work on!!!!

To be honest I think most people would rather you didn't give them a tip rather than feel like you begrudged giving it. I know the girls in our salon don't bat an eyelid whether they're tipped or not. Like I said, it's not expected. You're not being mean by not tipping. Being a customer is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I get my nails done every three weeks, same person every time. I don't tip during regular appointments, but I give what I'd consider a nice tip in a thank you card at Christmas. I also gave a large tip when she did all the nails for the wedding party when I got married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Back home, on a very good week I'd leave with about €50 a week in tips. In Toronto, I leave with anywhere from $70-120 a day. And my hourly rate is only about €2 less than I was on. Tipping culture over here is INSANE.

Cupcake crisis can you PM me with info on the industry over there? Regulations? How it differs from here?

Cupcake crisis can you PM me with info on the industry over there? Regulations? How it differs from here?

Will do!!

LexieOnRale, you'll need to delete some pm's!

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I live in Toronto and I give 15% to the beautician/hairdresser etc for every treatment. I'm not generous, it's just what's expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Sometime's I'll make a point of not tipping if I've been left waiting a long time and sometimes if the service is exceptional I will.

It usually depends on if I have the cash with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I'm a tipper.
    After being ten minutes early, waiting 45 minutes after the appointed time and being charged 14 Euro for my 7 year old son's dry haircut which took all of 5 minutes with a Wahl clippers I did not tip.

Advertisement