Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are my options now?

• 18-03-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've been using the TomTom app (W.Europe) on my iPhone for about 3 years now, and find it very useful. Since I'll be going to the States in september, I was planning on downloading the comparable USA version, but it looks like this is now being deprecated in favour of the TomTom Go app, and while I can't find out how big the maps are for the US, I suspect they'll be too large for my 16gb iPhone.

So I appear to have a few choices:

1. Buy a hardware SatNav, either here on Amazon or when I get to the States (although I'll need a SatNav to get to a shop selling a SatNav ;)). Prices for SatNavs appear to have gone up by quite a bit since I was last in the market for one, particularly when you need US maps. I don't see anything under 180 STG on Amazon.

2. Buy the original TomTom app for US, and deal with the fact that it won't be updated going forward. Not sure if I can even do that; the app is still on iTunes, with a shiny 'do not buy' image, but you can still buy it apparently.

3. Buy the new TomTom Go app, and hope I can squeeze the necessary maps on. Very risky option.

4. Buy a cheap Android tablet (Asus Memo Pad maybe?) and install the TomTom Go app on that. Not sure how this will work especially as I'll be using my iPhone for entertainment purposes, but actually, there's probably no reason why I can't use the Android tablet for that (podcasts, music, fitbit).

Honestly, at the moment, I'm leaning towards 4, as it means I'll have something I can use for >1 thing. Any option I'm not considering?

Comments

Advertisement