Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorizo

Options
  • 18-03-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I lived in Spain or a while and when I bought Chorizo there I used to keep it in the fridge and use over perhaps a month. The Chorizo I see here in Aldi and Tesco say to use within 2 or 5 days, any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Does it say to consume within a number of days "once the packaging has been opened"? That's usually the case with packaged meat products, while the Use By date will be a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've kept chorizo in the fridge for weeks after opening and it's still been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've bought the Lidl chorizo and hung it up in the kitchen for a few weeks before it was used up.
    I'm still alive, as is my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

They probably write that for legal reasons? Cured meats in general can last long (weeks, some of them months) even outside the fridge, if there are the proper conditions of course. Putting them in the fridge and consume them in a few days is the safest route that producers suggest to consumers to avoid issues I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They probably write that for legal reasons?
    Yeah, or just blindly copying what they put on other meat products as standard.

http://www.thetapaslunchcompany.co.uk/cookbook/how-to/how-to-store-chorizo
    In conclusion - my advice: freeze fresh chorizo to keep it soft, otherwise let it dry in the fridge. Wrap cured chorizo in a tea-towel and keep it in the fridge - it should last 6 months in good condition. Wipe off any mould like any Spaniard would...and Enjoy!

Tesco sell raw chorizo now which would be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Does it say to consume within a number of days "once the packaging has been opened"? That's usually the case with packaged meat products, while the Use By date will be a lot longer.

Yes thats exactly what it says.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, or just blindly copying what they put on other meat products as standard.

http://www.thetapaslunchcompany.co.uk/cookbook/how-to/how-to-store-chorizo

Tesco sell raw chorizo now which would be different.

Gosh now I don't know if the one I bought from Aldi was raw! I did cook it and it was fine and kept using it for about a month, stored in the fridge. No problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Gosh now I don't know if the one I bought from Aldi was raw!

Was it tied at the end with string... ? if so it was cured , I cant recall ever seing raw chorizo in Aldi

laros wrote: »
    Was it tied at the end with string... ? if so it was cured , I cant recall ever seing raw chorizo in Aldi

yes it was tied with string, it must have been fine otherwise we would have been ill. It all gets so confusing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zelda247 wrote: »
    yes it was tied with string, it must have been fine otherwise we would have been ill. It all gets so confusing these days.

The raw one would be squishy, usually the pack would clearly say it if its from a supermarket in commercial packing. I got it in a butchers once and it was not said on the pack. I can't even remember if I ate any raw, still evidently alive!

The majority of the time, by far, it is the cured one.

Here is the tesco one to be cooked. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268558488

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The raw one would be squishy, usually the pack would clearly say it if its from a supermarket in commercial packing. I got it in a butchers once and it was not said on the pack. I can't even remember if I ate any raw, still evidently alive!

The majority of the time, by far, it is the cured one.

Here is the tesco one to be cooked. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268558488

Thanks. Thankfully Aldi had it back in stock today and it has string on the end for sure so I will use like the last one and not worry about it. It tasted delicious by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

laros wrote: »

Unreliable. I have bought both raw and cured chorizo that is tied up with string.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I have bought both raw and cured chorizo that is tied up with string.

... In Aldi....?
    My answer was in reply to the chorizo that the OP had purchased in aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Not in Aldi. Let's hope anyone reading your particular piece of advice reads the whole thread.

Advertisement