Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sammy's Inch

Options
  • 18-03-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can't believe the prices they charge. 3.20 for a coffee! and 4.50 for a tiny square of apple cake! a real rip off for the tourists I am afraid.

I had a hot chocolate and it was awful, one of the worst I ever tasted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

as a cyclist my group stop here for coffee-what a rip-off merchant .prices are like city centre prices but i will not stop here again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

as a cyclist my group stop here for coffee-what a rip-off merchant .prices are like city centre prices but i will not stop here again

I know its crazy, especially the tiny square of Apple pie for 4.50.... you could buy a whole pie in Supervalu for 3.99.....

You can go to fantastic cafe's in Kerry for example Jam in Killarney and Nana Bea's in Castleisland and get fantastic food for a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I know its crazy, especially the tiny square of Apple pie for 4.50.... you could buy a whole pie in Supervalu for 3.99.....

You can go to fantastic cafe's in Kerry for example Jam in Killarney and Nana Bea's in Castleisland and get fantastic food for a good price.
    Do you think Sammy buys his cakes in Supervalue?

Would not be at all surprised

Would not be at all surprised
    Have you ever been there. Maybe you could ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's a tourist trap, the tour buses stop there and they don't know any better. The food is very poor there too.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It's a tourist trap, the tour buses stop there and they don't know any better. The food is very poor there too.

Really disgusting the way the rip of the tourists. Also we walked into the lounge from the cafe and it was freezing, they only had the heating on in the cafe although there were actually people eating and drinking in the lounge, mind you they had their coats on. Imagine paying those prices and freezing at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's basic economics - when there's no other competition around in the vast majority of cases prices will rise and quality will fall.

In terms of one of the places you mentioned Jams in Killarney have a huge range of competition within 10 minutes walk so they have to be competitive on price and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Really disgusting the way the rip of the tourists. Also we walked into the lounge from the cafe and it was freezing, they only had the heating on in the cafe although there were actually people eating and drinking in the lounge, mind you they had their coats on. Imagine paying those prices and freezing at the same time!
    It's the same with most of our tourist hotspots unfortunately, anything on the ring of Kerry, the parking on the cliffs of Moher etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21 molzer

I pass by regularly, the coffee was pretty good but the prices were completely OTT (akin to 5* hotels!) so I gave it up.
    Why can't these guys be happy with a reasonable margin?

Having said that I was charged €5.50 for an Americano and a portion of stale brown bread in cahirsiveen about a month ago so Helens coffee shop is a non runner for me also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bof

There are very few beach bars in Ireland. Sammy's is one of them. Being able to sit outside, eat or drink and take in one of the best beaches in the world is worth the extra in my opinion

I understand about the beach but why rip locals and tourists off when there is no need to, its pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The High prices can be justified, as people have done, by citing view, a rare beach bar, lack of nearby competition etc. but for the food to be of a very poor standard when high prices are being charged then that's unforgivable and simply gouging.
    I've no issue paying for a good quality product but it's sickening when it's poor quality.

As stated earlier in thread just vote with your feet and go elsewhere.In market economy sammy can charge but we dont have to pay.my experience on a few visits-poor product-way overpriced.My opinion is obviously many peoples opinion.When people stop coming through the door this will change.Tourist season is very short For beach bar experience go to O Carrolls Cove in Castlecove

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ate in the restaurant once, it was pretty nice and same as what you'd pay in Killarney, also ate in the cafe once, I think I paid around 4 euros for around 6 chips, I wasn't impressed. Foley's pub which is also in Inch, have a restauraunt which is cheaper and far nicer, they don't do any cafe style food though.

siblers wrote: »
    Ate in the restaurant once, it was pretty nice and same as what you'd pay in Killarney, also ate in the cafe once, I think I paid around 4 euros for around 6 chips, I wasn't impressed. Foley's pub which is also in Inch, have a restauraunt which is cheaper and far nicer, they don't do any cafe style food though.

I heard good reports about Foleys also. Maybe there is a business opportunity for a good cafe nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

There is also the Strand Hotel overlooking Inch beach, which serves good food, and is as far as i know more reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

There is also the Strand Hotel overlooking Inch beach, which serves good food, and is as far as i know more reasonably priced.

Think it is owned by the same Family

Maybe there is an idea for someone to set up a coffee van on/near the beach on the weekends, at least your would get a decent coffee or chocolate at a reasonable price.

Maybe there is an idea for someone to set up a coffee van on/near the beach on the weekends, at least your would get a decent coffee or chocolate at a reasonable price.
    You could set one up. How much would that coffee and sticky bun cost?

Sammy would be quaking in his boots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

FYI: "The Strand" is not owned by the same family.

An even better question is how come there are no ice cream vans on the beach, ever ?......

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would also echo the previous comments about Foley's and The Strand being far superior options to Sammy's. Nothing more pleasurable than sipping a pint in The Strand while watching the Sun set over Inch beach!

As for ice-cream or coffee vans on the beach, that would require Kerry Co Co to issue the appropriate permits and I'm sure Sammy would go apoplectic at even the suggestion that that might happen!

Advertisement