Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the wild onion bakery

• 18-03-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hey guys anyone whats the story with the above, has been closed most days since last week. I know Ruth the owner wasnt very well last week , just hope all is ok..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Bob said on Twitter that they won't be open this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Ruth has passed away, they'll be closed again this week. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

oh no .. that's such sad news. She was quite a character. Always loved going into the old diner on High Street but didn't make it to the one on the Ennis Road as much as I liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

ah no way.

That's very sad, she was a real character and will be missed. She had such a way about her.

The first few times I went into the Wild Onion I didn't know what to make of her at all but as soon as you got her you got her.

I always came away from the restaurant or the shop with a smile on my face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Don't forget those burgers - drooooool.....

Never to be equalled.

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

I am so sad to read that, a fantastic woman. May she RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Indeed, she will be well missed.

Loved going to the cafe with my then-girlfriend for breakfast on a Saturday morning, was there often enough to be given a name and the ability to book a table. Really liked Ruth a lot, and I used call in to the bakeshop when I could get a chance for a good chat.

My heart goes out to Bob after this. Very sad. :'(

It'll be an interesting funeral as she was well known to a lot of the Limerick community. I hope I can make it to pay my respects.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/204651/Tributes-paid-in-Limerick-following-passing.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

RIP she will be missed. Love the cafe and the craic.my heart goes out to Bob

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Sad to hear this too. When we were moving to Limerick back in '07, we stayed in Jury's one weekend and they recommended the Wild Onion for breakfast, so Ruth was one of the first local traders we encountered!
    I worked near High Street for a year as well and became a semi regular, hadn't been in the new place much though.
    RIP Ruth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Used to work around the corner. Always made by day a little brighter going in and having some banter with Ruth. You will be missed.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Ruth was such a wonderful lady , we used to have great chats about the american football oh how she loved her sport.Digital radio was always on the Chicago stations when you'd go in and their coffee was superb. My heart goes out to Bob and Damien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

My God, this had made me very sad to read just now, she was such a character, unfortunately her new location meant I hadn't the chance to pop in very often but whenever I did she was such great company, at first I thought it was a bit contrived but the more I went the more I realised that it was her way and she was genuinely interested in people and loved her job. I used to slag her a bit about the Chicago Cubs and always left the shop feeling a bit brighter.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Sad ending to this thread - Bob is closing :(

https://www.facebook.com/WildOnionBakeshop/posts/1198962726811292

Their products and personalities will be a big loss to the Limerick food scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Really saddened about this. Will miss them both great ambassadors for the city. Great craic and banter all the time.

Treated all the regulars like family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Great people..lovely woman, and really got limerick humor.

Advertisement