Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending computer abroad

Options
  • 18-03-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

First of all apologies if this is not the correct place.

I am moving back to Portugal and I own a mini PC that works as a mediacenter that I would like to take with me. Do you guys know what is the best option to post this to Portugal?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

If its a mini PC, could you put in into your check in luggage? Remove GPU, wrap it well in clothes and you should be good. Registered postage from An Post it works out about €80 for 14 Kg. How heavy is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

zEmo23 wrote: »
    First of all apologies if this is not the correct place.

I am moving back to Portugal and I own a mini PC that works as a mediacenter that I would like to take with me. Do you guys know what is the best option to post this to Portugal?
    Thanks in advance

How are you moving the rest of your stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

glynf wrote: »
    If its a mini PC, could you put in into your check in luggage? Remove GPU, wrap it well in clothes and you should be good. Registered postage from An Post it works out about €80 for 14 Kg. How heavy is it?

I didnt think I was allowed to do it. I'd say is about 8Kg, I'm also worried stuff will get broken

syklops wrote: »
    How are you moving the rest of your stuff?

Most of the rest of the stuff is clothes so I'm just checking in a few bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Most of the rest of the stuff is clothes so I'm just checking in a few bags

Who are you flying with?

As another poster said, you could carry it on carry on. Just make sure everything is backed up, and make sure the case screws are the ones you can take off easily in case they want to look inside.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Who are you flying with?

As another poster said, you could carry it on carry on. Just make sure everything is backed up, and make sure the case screws are the ones you can take off easily in case they want to look inside.

Thanks for the advice. Might do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I didnt think I was allowed to do it. I'd say is about 8Kg, I'm also worried stuff will get broken

If you have a large CPU cooler and/or GPU, remove them and wrap them in an anti static bag or bubble wrap if you have some. Another option is to carefully stuff bubble into the case to stop heavier parts from flexing and wraping. Did this years ago at work with a PC that had a few capture cards and a GPU in it, and it survived DPD to the UK.

Advertisement