Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roaming changes on Vodafone

Options
  • 18-03-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Just got a text there directing me to this bit of info

https://www.vodafone.ie/terms/customernotices/#euroamingregulation
    As of 26th April 2016, new EU Roaming Regulation 2016 will apply to customers who use our standard default roaming rates in Europe.

Customers will no longer pay a flat rate for voice, text and data but will pay their home rate (domestic) or use their home (domestic) allowance plus a roaming surcharge.

The total of the domestic rate plus roaming surcharge will be capped at current regulated rates.

If the domestic rate is greater than the cap, the surcharge will not be added and you will pay the domestic rate only.
    EU Regulated Roaming rates from 26th April
    Rate Cap
    Making a call Domestic + 5c/min 19c
    Receiving a call 1c/min
    Sending a text Domestic + 2c/text 6c
    Data Domestic + 5c/MB 20c
    In addition to these changes, Vodafone Passport for voice calls will no longer be available to customers.
    For more information on Vodafone RED Roaming click here and business customers click here
    Rates exclude VAT

Since this is a change to the terms and conditions, do I have the right to cancel my contract?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I would imagine not.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭confusicus

Ah well. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As its a change in your favour, I would imagine not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Reg 14 doesn't apply when the changes are due to new legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

I got that email too. I couldn't really understand it, even though I worked in statistics and measurement before I retired!
    I have therefore assumed:-
    1. Vodafone has found a way around the legislation to make me pay at least as much as before, if I use the phone when travelling. If not, the wording would have been MUCH clearer, so they could take a bow for saving me money.
    2. Vodafone thinks its customers are, as a whole, a 'cash cow' who will be slow to change provider, so its 'OK' to charge every last cent they can.
    3. Vodafone thinks people won't read the whole thing, and can be assumed to be willing to pay rather than make the effort to understand, or ask COMREG what's happening here.
    4. I will be paying more, whatever I do.
    so, business as usual.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    As its a change in your favour, I would imagine not.

How is it a change in favour of the customer?
    They have been told to abolish roaming charges, but
    ...they are going to charge a surcharge on top of using my allowance of minutes.
    ...If I have limited minutes, and run out, they will charge 19c a minute, as far as I can work out.
    ...If I have unlimited minutes, I still end up paying for a call - to my mind, thats a roaming charge. And, thats if I use their network when abroad.

How is it a change in favour of the customer?
    They have been told to abolish roaming charges, but
    ...they are going to charge a surcharge on top of using my allowance of minutes.
    ...If I have limited minutes, and run out, they will charge 19c a minute, as far as I can work out.
    ...If I have unlimited minutes, I still end up paying for a call - to my mind, thats a roaming charge. And, thats if I use their network when abroad.

VF are just abiding by the regs.
    Don't blame them, blame the clowns in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

garhjw wrote: »

The "clowns" in Brussels have set a maximum, and we are thankful to them for doing this. There is nothing stopping Vodafone from offering a better deal if their interest is not gouging people. yet if you go to Newry for an hour they do what they can to make you overpay.

The "clowns" in Brussels have set a maximum, and we are thankful to them for doing this. There is nothing stopping Vodafone from offering a better deal if their interest is not gouging people. yet if you go to Newry for an hour they do what they can to make you overpay.

2things:
    1. What's your point?
    2. Newly is in a different country so roaming rates apply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Clowns in Brussels?
    Would they be the same clowns that have forced the telco industry to get rid of the totally crazy per text, per min and per MB charges they used to apply to the avg Joe for years costing countless people needlessly. Calls of 70c+ per min were ultimately the reality for people in the past.

Phone companys don't do stuff for the customer out of charity, they are forced to change by regulations. The EU have massively improved things when it comes to roaming so calling them clowns shows a failing to understand how the situation used to be.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Clowns in Brussels?
    Would they be the same clowns that have forced the telco industry to get rid of the totally crazy per text, per min and per MB charges they used to apply to the avg Joe for years costing countless people needlessly. Calls of 70c+ per min were ultimately the reality for people in the past.

Phone companys don't do stuff for the customer out of charity, they are forced to change by regulations. The EU have massively improved things when it comes to roaming so calling them clowns shows a failing to understand how the situation used to be.

I understand it a lot better than you. I work in wholesale telecoms. Look across Europe at retail offers networks such a VF, orange and three have. They are already well below the regulated rates. The competitive plans were already driving prices down. Regulation is required but they are behind the curve in how it should be applied.

Do you know how much it costs a network to invest in infrastructure to support the increasing data usage of consumers?

I understand it a lot better than you. I work in wholesale telecoms. Look across Europe at retail offers networks such a VF, orange and three have. They are already well below the regulated rates. The competitive plans were already driving prices down. Regulation is required but they are behind the curve in how it should be applied.

Do you know how much it costs a network to invest in infrastructure to support the increasing data usage of consumers?

Look, I know they need to charge for their services. I might not have been clear enough in my original post (I did rant on a bit about the assumptions I would make, based on how confusing the wording was), but my point was that a company that wants to tell you good news usually manages to do it without totally confusing the reader.
    Over the years, although they have somewhat improved, it has been very very difficult to know what option/package was best for your circumstances, and this latest email did little to help me understand what will happen when I next travel. I might even leave the phone at home. Not, I suspect, the reaction or consequence the email intended to trigger?

Advertisement