Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ging Build €2,500

Options
  • 18-03-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a solid gaming build with 2tb storage. Currently i have a 256gb SSD for a boot drive.

1. What is your budget? Budget is €2,500 euro for everything

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mainly gaming, streaming, torrent downloads.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? 256gb SSD

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need? N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Debit Card, Cash

9. When are you purchasing? Next 2 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

This will be for mainly playing games like Starcraft 2 and other such high end games of max graphics settings.

Would like it to be quiet as possible and i am very open to liquid cooling.

You have €2,500 budget so show me the best, go go go ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What resolution and refresh rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Isn't starcraft 2 a old low end game at this stage? It's all about getting a single core to clock as high as possible in that game.
    Crazy money to spend, you get serious diminishing returns spending over €1,500.
    But I'm sure someone will come up with a build.

Yeah unless he's at 4k we won't even be hitting €2,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Starcraft is pretty low end it was one of the strengths of the game. Liquid cooling is rarely quieter than air, pumps tend to be louder than fans these days. Look out for reviews on quiet components, CPU cooling is easily done with 3 fans, intake, heatsink and exhaust, you can have them very quiet indeed.

GPUs tend not to be so much of an issue as they are near silent at idle and only ramp up when gaming when it doesn't tend to matter quite as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Interested at all in VR? You could either buy a Vive + 6600k & R9 390 build for a good bit below your budget, or you could splurge your cash on a top-end VR machine once the Fury Pro Duo is released & then buy a Vive with your endless mountain of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I've got a 4K monitor/tv figured out already outside cost for machine. Yeah sc2 is considered "old" by standards however from LOTV I'm looking at this build plus I want to future proof as much as possible.

I'm looking at a i7 skyline build with 64gb ram possibly with a gtx989ti or a Titan x card.

I would consider be headset. Not really seen much that I at myself however I am open.

64gb RAM? :pac:

980Ti €750
    i7 6700k €350
    Z170 board €100
    512gb SSD €120
    16gb RAM €80
    Case €120
    750w PSU €100
    2tb HDD €90
    Total €1710

If you want to go higher, do some research, because there's no point in spending anymore money here. You'll have an array of high end, top quality parts for these prices. Buy from Amazon say, it might hit 1800-1900 from amazon

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

A custom watercooling loop would easily consume the rest of the budget if we are just spending money for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I'd say at this price the OP should wait until June/July when Polaris and Pascal launch, and see how well these GPUs stack up against the Fury X and 980Ti. Too many DX12 benchmarks are showing the Fury X take the lead, but that card is still not enough for 4K. No current single GPU is.
    This way you can grab the next architecture and benefit from AMD/nVidia's "nicities" and future proof.
    Digital's build is solid, I would just build that, and add a GPU down the line for the best €/Performance

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Cheers guys, some food for thought there.

Digital, your build is pretty solid i may look into that.

Eoinmc97, how much of a difference is expected with Polaris and Pascal launch, is there any initial benchmarking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Cheers guys, some food for thought there.

Digital, your build is pretty solid i may look into that.

Eoinmc97, how much of a difference is expected with Polaris and Pascal launch, is there any initial benchmarking?

There's just a lot of speculation at the moment. The initial launch will actually be the mobile stuff IIRC. The big issue at the moment is how will DX12 effect everything and what will the new round do to price points for a given segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

With a budget like that, surely you could stick a few 500gb SSD's in there instead of the 2TB drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Only really need 1 500gb SSD (which Digital has in his build which I think you are referencing). Even that is a luxury as 120GB and 250GB will do just fine for most users. HDD are still wonderfully cheap bulk storage :D

He's also got another 250gb SSD there, so the 500gb one I've in is optional.

Advertisement