Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Books on 1916?

Options
  • 18-03-2016 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping for some suggestions on the most informative book about 1916. I have a reasonable grasp on what happened but would like to read a clear accurate book about it all.

Maybe there's a pair of books, or a book with suggested other books as support reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Charles Townshend's Easter 1916: The Irish Rebellion is a good, well-written look at the event and the historical context.

Ruth Dudley Edwards has recently published a book focusing on the seven signatories of the proclamation who essentially the masterminds behind the Rising, The Seven. As you'd expect, it's a biographical work and character study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Thanks Ascendant, I'll hopefully get around to taking a look for them at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Thanks Ascendant, I'll hopefully get around to taking a look for them at the weekend.

Paul O'Brien has done a series of books, each one focusing specifically on a particular part of the Rising, e.g. the GPO, Ashbourne, the Four Courts, etc.

By themselves, they're a bit lightweight (review of the GPO-centered one here) but if read together, they do provide a good picture of what precisely was going on and where.

Advertisement