Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 520...?

Options
  • 18-03-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Anyone have one? I'm a bit addicted to my Strava segments and that makes this Garmin super attractive... Does it work well??

Cheers 😄

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It gets annoying quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rogcaler

The average on mine has never been right out cycling and I think the Bluetooth connection to your phone is flakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i like mine
    live segments is good
    useful virtual training partner
    uploads direct to strava(via garmin connect)
    can see my prs on segments
    can load maps
    can see txts and calls on screen

great bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The best thing about most new garmin devices is that they send your data to Strava etc, very quickly.

The rest of the toys, are just toys that you turn off after a few rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

To hijack the thread a bit, my 500 is starting to act up and was wondering whether to see if I could get a reboxed one from Garmin or upgrade to the 520.

Are the extras worth it as I think the 500 is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Leroy42 wrote: »
    To hijack the thread a bit, my 500 is starting to act up and was wondering whether to see if I could get a reboxed one from Garmin or upgrade to the 520.

No...

But...

You don't have to connect to a PC again and your data is uploaded fairly quickly.

Might not seem important but it's really handy once you get used to it.

#itsthelittlethingsinlife

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've had the 500, 810 and 520 ( in that order).

All very easy to use and get used to. 500 does everything important. 810 adds connected features. The 520 adds to the connected features.

For me the perfect device would be the 520 with the 810's touch features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Leroy42 wrote: »

my previous garmin 305 was replaced after it started to act up after 3 years.
    so it would be worth trying to get a refurb. from garmin

Have the 500, just got the 520 , so far I like it, very easy to upload rides to strava. using the mobile phone .

the new wahoo elemnt looks interesting, if a little pricey (€150 more)

https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/elemnt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought a 520 recently too (to replace my 6 month old 500!) anyway I love it so far, slightly larger screen, easier to read in bright weather, text/call details on screen, very fast upload to Strava/Garmin connect so no messing with cables and no need to use phone for Strava. It picks up satellites much faster than the 500 and detects movement/stoppages much faster also.

Battery life is slightly less than the 500 but I still get 3 to 4 spins between charges so that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 crankyoldgit

Syncing my Edge 520 with Garmin Connect (and Strava) on an iPhone 6 used to work without any hassle.
    It stopped working about 2 weeks ago

As of 5th May Garmin Europe product support are saying
    "[font=arial, sans-serif]we are aware of and are working hard towards a resolution, however, we do not have a timeframe for this to be completed as yet"[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]So if it works for you right now - think twice about applying iOS or Garmin Connect updates[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Auto upload gets iffy after a while.... I go onto the device and remove the activity files that build up over time (basically freeing space) and it works well after doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anyone know if the latest update is 'stable'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Anyone know if the latest update is 'stable'?

i updated about a week or so ago and ive been having some issue with the Bluetooth connection to my phone

it works a few times then just wont connect so i need to unpair and repair

I'm running the latest update.

I'm not 100% sure but it I think I;ve dropped the automatic updates. Was meant to check this morning but I've gotten in the habit of pressing upload ride after my ride. Other than that no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 John McClane

got one recently and display shows Speed/time/distance etc.. while out cycling
    how do i get it to display Average Speed also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm going to be polite here and ask if you have considered reading the manual? Its available on line.

Have you tried pressing the buttons to see if it brings up any further menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

the 520 has a serious amount of features and customization, what you want to do is customize one of the training profiles by adding another field of that type. I would suggest going online to the manual pages or looking at youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

You can change the data fields to include average speed, top speed , current speed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Picked one of these up recently and loving it so far. Just tested the Garmin Connect Live Tracking today on the commute home and it seemed to work well. Has anyone tried this on a longer spin? I'm wondering what the battery life impact would be over say 8-10 hours for both phone and Edge. I'd be hoping it wouldn't kill the phone as it's just Bluetooth 4 and small chunks of data, but I dunno....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just got one earlier, looks a real good piece if kit.

Just gotta sell my 500 now...

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    Picked one of these up recently and loving it so far. Just tested the Garmin Connect Live Tracking today on the commute home and it seemed to work well. Has anyone tried this on a longer spin? I'm wondering what the battery life impact would be over say 8-10 hours for both phone and Edge. I'd be hoping it wouldn't kill the phone as it's just Bluetooth 4 and small chunks of data, but I dunno....

I've done 6/7/8 hour rides with on no problem and still have plenty of battery. Only issue is phone reception. 3g/4g isnt available in the wilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    Just got one earlier, looks a real good piece if kit.

Just gotta sell my 500 now...
    Keep you old 500. It has a much better battery life and is very handy for Audax rides or similar should you decide to go down that route. The 520 wont last for a 300k ride.

Keep you old 500. It has a much better battery life and is very handy for Audax rides or similar should you decide to go down that route. The 520 wont last for a 300k ride.

barley lasts 200km if you are going slow enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Audax won't ever be for me tbh, not a long distance man at all. Surely it will last 4-7hrs anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

g0g wrote:
    Not on the 520, but used live tracking on my 920xt on the ring of Kerry. You're already tracking GPS on the watch, so it's only small amounts of data and the Bluetooth (not GPS) on the phone. Old phone with dodgy battery lasted OK anyway.

Advertisement