Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum Handicap

Options
  • 18-03-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I always understood maximum GUI handicap for men was 28.
    A friend of mine started last year and was given a handicap of 28 and while all he won was a category prize, his scores were mixed...some low 18/ 19 , a lot in the mid to late 20s and a few in the 30s
    He got a letter from the club saying they were raising his handicap to 30.
    He was aiming to get to 24 this year but this he feels is embarrising.
    Can the club do this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

He could ask the club to stay at 28, they possibly taught they were doing him a favour.

And if he can play to 24, hopefully his scoring in the coming months will reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

e.r wrote: »
    He could ask the club to stay at 28, they possibly taught they were doing him a favour.

And if he can play to 24, hopefully his scoring in the coming months will reflect this.

Yeah he said he was going to email the club about it and try stay at28

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Mens handicap can now go up to 36, over 28 is at discretion of club.
    The club are doing it to try and make the game more enjoyable for your friend, it's not an insult.
    Your friend my feel he is capable of much lower, but the club don't know this and are probably worried that your friend might not be enjoying playing if he had a year of bad scores, especially at renewal time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Senna wrote: »
    Mens handicap can now go up to 36, over 28 is at discretion of club.
    The club are doing it to try and make the game more enjoyable for your friend, it's not an insult.
    Your friend my feel he is capable of much lower, but the club don't know this and are probably worried that your friend might not be enjoying playing if he had a year of bad scores, especially at renewal time:)

This only applies when playing home club competitions, when playing opens away the max is 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

From Golf Monthly :

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/notice-board/congu-announce-big-changes-to-handicap-system-for-2016-74643

I played the 90% fourball recently but are the changes in the link for England or do the GUI have to give their approval for the CONGU suggestions?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Nemesis wrote: »
    From Golf Monthly :

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/notice-board/congu-announce-big-changes-to-handicap-system-for-2016-74643

I played the 90% fourball recently but are the changes in the link for England or do the GUI have to give their approval for the CONGU suggestions?.

It's the other way around the GUI tells CONGU what specific rules they want applied to Ireland, but for the most part they are the same as Walesn England and Scotland with a few additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

mafc wrote: »
    This only applies when playing home club competitions, when playing opens away the max is 28.

This is not the way it works. You can only have one handicap and if you have a club handicap you cannot play in competitions in other clubs unless the other club specifically allows it. Of course clubs can set rules for each Open/Semi open competition and ones that may be used would be something like " CONGU Club Handicaps permitted" or "CONGU Club Handicaps permitted but maximum handicap allowed is 28"

and yes you can decline to take the club handicap and stay on 28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

My understanding is that you cannot play with +28 even in your own club's open comps. You can only play with a club handicap in comps that are confined to your club.

which makes sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Boskowski wrote: »
    My understanding is that you cannot play with +28 even in your own club's open comps. You can only play with a club handicap in comps that are confined to your club.

which makes sense really

Exactly what I said.

• Advertisement

mafc wrote: »
    Exactly what I said.

True, but others said 'away opens' and not everyone follows a link. I just wanted to make that clear.

which makes sense really

Don't know about playing in your own club's open (or semi open) comps but I'd guess that you can. Regarding the second point you could play with a club handicap in another club if they allow it in the conditions of the comp.

The previous point I was trying to make (maybe not too clearly) is that if there is no reference to club handicaps in the conditions of the other clubs comp. then you can't play, i.e. you can't decide to play off 28.

Anyway these kind of questions will be all worked out in this first year of the new system.

Don't know about playing in your own club's open (or semi open) comps but I'd guess that you can. Regarding the second point you could play with a club handicap in another club if they allow it in the conditions of the comp.

The previous point I was trying to make (maybe not too clearly) is that if there is no reference to club handicaps in the conditions of the other clubs comp. then you can't play, i.e. you can't decide to play off 28.

Anyway these kind of questions will be all worked out in this first year of the new system.

The moment its open you must play to GUI and not club rules regardless whether its home or away. Pretty certain about that. There'd be murder if people travel to an open and a local off 32 won it. A lot of people would be put off coming again for sure.

The moment its open you must play to GUI and not club rules regardless whether its home or away. Pretty certain about that. There'd be murder if people travel to an open and a local off 32 won it. A lot of people would be put off coming again for sure.

CONGU Club Handicap is a "GUI" recognised handicap and it is up to each club what conditions it sets for it's open comps. For example a club might agree that Club Handicaps are allowed for say their Senior Opens or as previously mentioned that that they would agree to Club Handicaps but with a max (which might be 28). If they don't mention Club Handicaps at all then players with Club Handicaps (from other clubs anyway - don't know about home players) can't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

We were at a GUI handicap meeting last night, there was a lot of discussion on this and they were very clear on the club handicaps
    Anyone given a club handicap cannot play any opens away from home and they cannot even play opens at their home club
    They can only play home club competitions

thoscon wrote: »
    We were at a GUI handicap meeting last night, there was a lot of discussion on this and they were very clear on the club handicaps
    Anyone given a club handicap cannot play any opens away from home and they cannot even play opens at their home club

Then they are giving out different info at different meetings or we are taking it up incorrectly, I was at the meeting in Bray GC on Monday night. I suppose we will have to wait and see how things develop.

Then they are giving out different info at different meetings or we are taking it up incorrectly, I was at the meeting in Bray GC on Monday night. I suppose we will have to wait and see how things develop.

To be honest it did cause quite a lot of confusion, I don't think they were getting their point across atall
    There was a lot of questions about this and that's my understanding of what's happening
    They kept making the point that it's a club handicap and therefore anyone with a club handicap can only play club competitions

thoscon wrote: »

It only makes sense and I can't see anything confusing with that either.

My understanding would also be that it's not like you can't play it's just that you can't have those extra shots in open comps.

It only makes sense and I can't see anything confusing with that either.

My understanding would also be that it's not like you can't play it's just that you can't have those extra shots in open comps.
    They were quite clear on this last night if you get the club handicap that's your old handicap gone.
    I imagine there will be quite a few turning it down knowing that you can't play opens if you get the club handicaps

Yes, you'd wonder if the GUI know themselves how it will work or are making it up as they go along, they were very clear at the meeting I was at that you can only have one handicap i.e. normal or club and you can't elect yourself to play off 28 if you have a club handicap. They also said (which seems to be different to what they said at other meetings) that a club can decide to accept club handicaps in their open or semi open comps or allow players with club handicaps to play but have an upper handicap limit (such as 28).

• Advertisement

Yes, you'd wonder if the GUI know themselves how it will work or are making it up as they go along, they were very clear at the meeting I was at that you can only have one handicap i.e. normal or club and you can't elect yourself to play off 28 if you have a club handicap. They also said (which seems to be different to what they said at other meetings) that a club can decide to accept club handicaps in their open or semi open comps or allow players with club handicaps to play but have an upper handicap limit (such as 28).

It's all very confusing and they aren't been consistent with what they are telling people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rather than start a new thread, can anyone clarify max men's handicap. And does the 36 club option apply and if it ecxcludes you from playing open comps or allow you play them off 28?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is now a Category 5 and 6 and the maximum handicap is 54, there is now no difference between men/women's handicap Categories or Maximum

http://www.congu.co.uk/congu-changes-2018/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Happy4all wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread, can anyone clarify max men's handicap. And does the 36 club option apply and if it ecxcludes you from playing open comps or allow you play them off 28?
    This is an old thread quoting old rules. There are now two new categories of golf handicap since January 2018: Categories 5 and 6. Category 5 is from 28.5 to 36.4 and category 6 is from 36.5 to 54.

They are competition handicaps. More details here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is an old thread quoting old rules. There are now two new categories of golf handicap since January 2018: Categories 5 and 6. Category 5 is from 28.5 to 36.4 and category 6 is from 36.5 to 54.

They are competition handicaps. More details here.

Thanks, the reason I asked was someone mentioned 54, but I couldn't see the enjoyment of playing or competing with someone off 54!

Thanks, the reason I asked was someone mentioned 54, but I couldn't see the enjoyment of playing or competing with someone off 54!
    You'll see very few of them tbh. Mostly juniors or golfers with physical handicaps. After almost a year of the new system, my club has only one category 5 golfer and he's off 30. Afaik, category 6 is downward adjustment only, but I could stand corrected on that one. Nobody currently playing golf with a handicap from last year is ever likely to get to category 6. It would take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

36 is the highest starting handicap, this is only in Ireland the other CONGU areas can award up to 54.

36 is the lowest starting handicap, this is only in Ireland the other CONGU areas can award up to 54.
    Lowest? Do you not mean highest?

I could be a bit slow today. Go easy if so. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It will take a lot of 0.1's to get to 54, we have a long time to wait until we see a 54

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

prawnsambo wrote: »

The pre-graveyard handicap.

Advertisement