Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum Handicap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

backspin. wrote: »
    The pre-graveyard handicap.
    Or post-cradle. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    It will take a lot of 0.1's to get to 54, we have a long time to wait until we see a 54

I'm currently off 12
    So another 42 years and I'll get there.
    I'll be 84 then :D... might need the 54, but one way or another...……. I'll be happy if I'm still swinging a club

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Your handicap sec can move you up outside of your own 0.1's and the limit.

Previously you got stuck at 28, this is no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »

Previously you got stuck at 28, this is no longer the case.

I know that .

Just hope that I'm never that ****e :D

Isn't that a maximum of four shots? And generally no more than two.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Isn't that a maximum of four shots? And generally no more than two.

It was before the max changes came in, you'd have to show evidence to support it to the GUI, but if a guy has been having 12 points off 28 for the last 5 years I think thats all the evidence you'd need.

It was before the max changes came in, you'd have to show evidence to support it to the GUI, but if a guy has been having 12 points off 28 for the last 5 years I think thats all the evidence you'd need.
    So (and fogive me for being lazy and not looking it up myself) what you're saying is that it can go higher than four strokes?

So (and fogive me for being lazy and not looking it up myself) what you're saying is that it can go higher than four strokes?

Lazy sod! ;)
    Actually it still seems to limit to 4.
    To assist Handicap Committees in this regard Players whose current handicap is in the range of 27.5 to 28.0 may grant an increase of up to 2 whole shots for such players whose Nett Differentials have been outside their Buffer Zone but in single digit figures (5 to 9) for the past 2 to 4+ years.
    Players whose current handicap is in the range of 27.5 to 28.0 may grant an increase of up to 4 whole shots for such players whose Nett Differentials have been outside their Buffer Zone but in double digit figures (10 upwards) for the past 2 to 4 years. Players who have not played any Qualifying Rounds during the past 2+ years may be considered for an increase of up to 4 whole strokes.

Seems unfair on the guys having 12 points...next they will have 16...and then they are back to 1.0...gee thanks GUI!

Seems unfair on the guys having 12 points...next they will have 16...and then they are back to 1.0...gee thanks GUI!
    I suppose we need to look at it in the context of the whole system. If the player's initial handicap allowance was so far off that he's only scoring 12 points, you'd have to question the handicap sec. tbh.

There was a time when me and my handicap were never on the course at the same time, but even then, I don't think I went below 20 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I suppose we need to look at it in the context of the whole system. If the player's initial handicap allowance was so far off that he's only scoring 12 points, you'd have to question the handicap sec. tbh.

There was a time when me and my handicap were never on the course at the same time, but even then, I don't think I went below 20 points.

Think it means single digits outside the buffer as opposed to actually having a single digit score

• Advertisement

Think it means single digits outside the buffer as opposed to actually having a single digit score
    We were talking about a hypothetical golfer regularly scoring 12 points. Since that would be double figures outside the buffer, he'd be entitled (should his club handicap sec. so decide) to a four shot handicap adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

We were talking about a hypothetical golfer regularly scoring 12 points. Since that would be double figures outside the buffer, he'd be entitled (should his club handicap sec. so decide) to a four shot handicap adjustment.

Oh I get that, but you would be similarly entitled to 4 shots back if you were shooting 20/21 points, as in most places that would be double digits outside the buffer.

But my understand is that this is a once off (that expired in March) and now they are back to 1.0 per year?
    The handicap sec had no option if they guy was scoring 12 points off 28.0....there was literally nowhere else to go.

We would have *many* people in this category.

But my understand is that this is a once off (that expired in March) and now they are back to 1.0 per year?
    As far as I know, handicap secretarys have always had the option to adjust a handicap upwards. Not sure what the limit was, but definitely up to two shots.
    The handicap sec had no option if they guy was scoring 12 points off 28.0....there was literally nowhere else to go.

We would have *many* people in this category.
    Well there was the previous 'club handicap' system that would have allowed an internal handicap up to 36.

As far as I know, handicap secretarys have always had the option to adjust a handicap upwards. Not sure what the limit was, but definitely up to two shots.
    Yeah, up to the 28 limit but you would have to get then approved by GUI.

If we are back to the 2 shot limit and GUI approval then its not going to make much difference to the guys struggling to hit 20 points right now.

Yeah, up to the 28 limit but you would have to get then approved by GUI.

If we are back to the 2 shot limit and GUI approval then its not going to make much difference to the guys struggling to hit 20 points right now.
    I suppose they can get another annual review plus the 1SL every year. Slow way to go about it though. If you were on 28, got the 4 this year plus another slew of 0.1s, you'd be at 33 by year end. Then there's the option to get another annual review and possibly another two strokes in the new year taking them to 35. That's seven strokes iin the space of just over 12 months and possibly hitting the heady heights of the high twenties in points.

Advertisement