Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best lock for securing bike at home and away

Options
  • 18-03-2016 11:01pm

So I'm in the process of securing the garage were the new bike will be kept.

I've been researching the best locks and practices for securing the bike, but would like some advice from people with experience, good and bad :eek:

So I've found a lot of people bigging up Almax locks, I was contemplating getting the Almax Immobiliser Series IV + Squire SS65CS Lock + Defiant Ground Anchor, but seen as the house is rented I've decided not to get the anchor as I might be gone from here as soon as next year.

I'll be using the bike for a daily commute from the south side of Dublin to the north side, is it doable to carry the 2.0m chain and lock every day?

I have an Idea that's a bit mad :D, but hear me out, We have our gas supply line in the garage and the pipe is fairly large and protruding from the wall, plenty of room to fit a chain around, so any would-be thief would have a blast of a time trying to get the bike :pac:
    but seriously is that a bad idea, I cant see a problem with it once I'm not applying an pressure to the pipe that would damage it in anyway.

I've also heard good thing about PJB Security Products albeit not through boards, but through friends, anybody have good bad experience with these locks?

And finally I had a good friend who used to be a bike mechanic advise me to get a marina chain down the docks and a good lock, I'm shying away from this as I want something I can use to lock the bike somewhere other than home.

I've read not such great things about Oxford chains so shied away from them, any input?

Also would a disk lock, or any other lock for that matter be over kill if I invest in a good lock and chain, or the more the better

I'd like peace of mind over price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't lock anything to the gas pipe.

For the commute buy 2 locks and chains and leave one at either end if possible. If you have to carry the lock and chain get a back box or tail pack, don't wear it.

If you don't want to drill in the rental shed, I'd be surprised if the landlord doesn't allow a discrete anchor, lock the bike to something heavy and awkward to move. A bin full of concrete with an anchor set into the concrete is a good comprise.

The most important thing is to keep them out of the shed though, so get sensor lights and an alarm.

• Del2005 wrote: »

For the commute buy 2 locks and chains and leave one at either end if possible. If you have to carry the lock and chain get a back box or tail pack, don't wear it.

If you don't want to drill in the rental shed, I'd be surprised if the landlord doesn't allow a discrete anchor, lock the bike to something heavy and awkward to move. A bin full of concrete with an anchor set into the concrete is a good comprise.

The most important thing is to keep them out of the shed though, so get sensor lights and an alarm.

Yeah I figured the gas pipe was a stupid idea, I've been looking at this as a removable alternative

I have a motion sensing raspberry pi setup up downstairs keeping a 24/7 eye on MX bike, she emails me if there's a problem :D I plan to have a similar setup using the new pi 3 to do the same for the new bike in the garage.

I know I said peace of mind over price, but I don't think I can afford 2 chains, I'll be investing in a steel door for the back garden access to the garage, currently there is a falling down rotten wooden door, and the frame is unusually thin, so I may have to pay a pretty penny to get one made up.

Tailpack might be a good solution, hopefully it wont affect the bike too much? (GSXR600)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I have a motion sensing raspberry pi setup up downstairs keeping a 24/7 eye on MX bike, she emails me if there's a problem :D I plan to have a similar setup using the new pi 3 to do the same for the new bike in the garage.

care to share how this is setup!??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Del2005 wrote: »

dunno about that, might be the way forward :

• The_Chap wrote: »
    care to share how this is setup!??

No problem, I just followed this guide, it looks like the Dev has updated it since I last set it up, it's a bit involved setting it up, it will record and take snap shots if a motion event is triggered and uploads them to your google drive account

(the google drive portion of the setup can be a bit tricky because googles layout has changed so following his instruction is a bit difficult, but completely doable and worth it)

It then emails you with a link to your drive account so you can immediately see if it's a false alarm, you can also set it up so if your phone is on the network it wont email you, I have the phone detection setup for the bike in the house, but wont for the bike in the garage.

• Advertisement

• gctest50 wrote: »
    dunno about that, might be the way forward :

hes-dead-jim.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

The immobiliser III 1.5m is just about small enough to go in a top box, I'd be leary of even putting it in a tail pack (have done so once or twice myself but its stretching the limits). They are heavy chains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDn9OExSH2c

As for ground anchorage, it's about compromise really - if you can't anchor, getting a good lock for the shed and locking the bike to itself (i.e. chain through the back wheel and frame), plus a disc lock, combined with cameras or motion sensors would be the job. If you know something's up, they'll need time to lift a bike out of it and away. I can have a van full of lads down my place to kick lumps out of anyone on site within 15-20 minutes, YMMV.

Disc locks, the xena xx-10 or xx-14 depending on bike seems to get good reviews.

Yeah I figured the gas pipe was a stupid idea, I've been looking at this as a removable alternative

I know I said peace of mind over price, but I don't think I can afford 2 chains, I'll be investing in a steel door for the back garden access to the garage, currently there is a falling down rotten wooden door, and the frame is unusually thin, so I may have to pay a pretty penny to get one made up.

Tailpack might be a good solution, hopefully it wont affect the bike too much? (GSXR600)

You want to try to keep them out of the garage. Stick an alarm on the gate and another for the garage, no point having a picture of them leaving with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Almax chains nothing better END OFF.

• gerrowadat wrote: »
    The immobiliser III 1.5m is just about small enough to go in a top box, I'd be leary of even putting it in a tail pack (have done so once or twice myself but its stretching the limits). They are heavy chains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDn9OExSH2c

As for ground anchorage, it's about compromise really - if you can't anchor, getting a good lock for the shed and locking the bike to itself (i.e. chain through the back wheel and frame), plus a disc lock, combined with cameras or motion sensors would be the job. If you know something's up, they'll need time to lift a bike out of it and away. I can have a van full of lads down my place to kick lumps out of anyone on site within 15-20 minutes, YMMV.

Disc locks, the xena xx-10 or xx-14 depending on bike seems to get good reviews.

Thanks for the link, yeah doesn't look like I'll be lugging the IV anywhere think I'll go with the III and invest in the IV for the garage a little later when I have more cash, those disc locks look the job as well. :cool:

Is the guy in the video on boards? would be interested in knowing what he paid for shipping, was planning to use parcel motel...
    Del2005 wrote: »
    You want to try to keep them out of the garage. Stick an alarm on the gate and another for the garage, no point having a picture of them leaving with the bike.

I'll be notified the second there is activity at the back garden, and they will have to get through all my security measures, while I have time to either get there myself or notify someone, to be honest I think it's a better setup than an Alarm, have you ever heard an alarm go off and given it a second thought? maybe an alarm would be a good complement to the motion sensing, but the instant email notification with a current stream of images is the better protection of the two in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I'll be notified the second there is activity at the back garden, and they will have to get through all my security measures, while I have time to either get there myself or notify someone, to be honest I think it's a better setup than an Alarm, have you ever heard an alarm go off and given it a second thought? maybe an alarm would be a good complement to the motion sensing, but the instant email notification with a current stream of images is the better protection of the two in my opinion.

I pay attention why my and my neighbours alarm goes off, which rarely happens. I ignore the ones that go off everyday. Use the Pi as the more security the better, but the scumbags will see an alarm and think twice they won't see the Pi.

The whole point of security is to make them move on, as your home is too difficult to get into unnoticed and when parked up the bike has too many locks/alarm to bother with, not to have to deal with them.

• Del2005 wrote: »
    I pay attention why my and my neighbours alarm goes off, which rarely happens. I ignore the ones that go off everyday. Use the Pi as the more security the better, but the scumbags will see an alarm and think twice they won't see the Pi.

The whole point of security is to make them move on, as your home is too difficult to get into unnoticed and when parked up the bike has too many locks/alarm to bother with, not to have to deal with them.

I wish you were my neighbour so ;) I agree an alarm is probably a better deterrent, I don't have the cash for one at the moment, but you've given me an idea for a new project, alarmPi :D

Is the guy in the video on boards? would be interested in knowing what he paid for shipping, was planning to use parcel motel...

It's my video. I would ring them and see, they were reasonable and did me a solid on shipping, I think it was 20 or 30 quid which for the weight is bargain (I got all that stuff at once). Your man has opinions on shipping costing so much and will knock a few quid off in return for talking your ear off for a bit, and is full of advice for fitting and what to get. Sound lad.

Dunno if parcel motel would work, some shippers don't like NI addresses. An Post are doing a similar service where the address is mainland UK, haven't used it yet.

• gerrowadat wrote: »
    It's my video. I would ring them and see, they were reasonable and did me a solid on shipping, I think it was 20 or 30 quid which for the weight is bargain (I got all that stuff at once). Your man has opinions on shipping costing so much and will knock a few quid off in return for talking your ear off for a bit, and is full of advice for fitting and what to get. Sound lad.

Dunno if parcel motel would work, some shippers don't like NI addresses. An Post are doing a similar service where the address is mainland UK, haven't used it yet.

Went ahead and used parcel motel, hopefully all goes well, I got the new bike today as well got a CBR600 RR in the end :D

I'm looking at getting the Double Doofer anchor I linked to previously to use with the chain, but I'm not sure the chain will fit it.

Could you tell me the diameter of the chain(I ordered the 2.0m chain), the site I'm sourcing the Double Doofer from responded to my me email regarding the compatibility of the 2 with the hole size on the Doofer, it's 70mm x 36mm, will it fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The 2m almax chain is close to 15kg, I have one. Brilliant chain, but ideally you'd have one at home and one in work. See it as an investment for life!

• So parcel motel was a no go, I should learn to listen better :rolleyes:

I had to ring Almax, @gerrowadat you weren't joking "talking your ear off for a bit" I was on the phone to him for 45 minutes, dreading the phone bill :eek:

I had the Double Doofer supplier get back and their anchor should work fine with the Almax chain, so I'll order that tomorrow and also going to invest in an alarmed disk lock.

Whats the difference between the xena xx-10 or xx-14?

• Cienciano wrote: »
    The 2m almax chain is close to 15kg, I have one. Brilliant chain, but ideally you'd have one at home and one in work. See it as an investment for life!

I'm I big believer in BIFL, but I just don't have the extra cash, it will be an investment I will make eventually, just not today.

So parcel motel was a no go, I should learn to listen better :rolleyes:

I had to ring Almax, @gerrowadat you weren't joking "talking your ear off for a bit" I was on the phone to him for 45 minutes, dreading the phone bill :eek:

I had the Double Doofer supplier get back and their anchor should work fine with the Almax chain, so I'll order that tomorrow and also going to invest in an alarmed disk lock.

Whats the difference between the xena xx-10 or xx-14?

diff is the size of the shackle - you should see which one will go on your bike, they're not universal. They have a printable template on their website to put up against your brake disc and see where there's a suitable hole.

Advertisement