Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time building a pc

Options
  • 19-03-2016 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys. I want to build a pc for gaming and I haven't built one from scratch before. I recently made a parts list and I am wondering if there are any parts that could be cheaper but still have the same performance. I hope to build a rig capable of running some the newer games like fo4,darksouls 3 etc, but I'll also be playing older games like the stalker series. I don't really care much about graphics, really its more about the framerate and I wana play with mods on some of the games.

Here's the list;
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 6 core
    MOTHERBOARD: gigabyte 990xa-ud3 r5
    RAM: 16gb Kinston dual ddr 3
    GPU: 2gb Nvidia GeForce GTX 950

what do you guys think,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Go onto pcpartpicker.com to see if there are any compatibility issues with the parts you select.

Have you looked at a case aswell?

I would personally prefer to get an i5 and a newer graphics card but I'm guessing you can't budget for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Durandal_A10

thanks I'll look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What is your budget OP, I'll throw up a part list if I can recommend a better one

650 euro

i5 6500 €200
    R9 380 €200
    8gb RAM €40
    Case €40
    500w PSU €50
    1tb HDD €50
    H150 board €60
    240gb SSD €65
    Total €665

SSD is shoving you a little over.

Get the 4gb 380, if you're strapped budget-wise drop the SSD and add one later. Putting another 10 or 20 euro into the case will make a big difference.

Prices are from mindfactory.de, amazon is a little more expensive, probably about €700 for the lot from Amazon, so drop the SSD if you want to buy there.

As per the parts, its a newer system, faster RAM, faster CPU, faster GPU. These four factors heavily outweigh the marginal gains from 16gb RAM over 8gb. 16gb RAM is probably the smallest upgrade you can make to a PC like this tbh

Any questions ask away

• Advertisement

thanks very much man!

Can't really fault that build apart from not being a fan of AMD cards but for the price can't go wrong.

Whatever you do, do not skimp on an SSD. Best bang for buck upgrade IMO.

Nothing wrong with AMD cards, Day 1 drivers for AAA games are normally a bit late to the party, that's about it.

Make sure you get DDR4 RAM OP

Nothing wrong with AMD cards, Day 1 drivers for AAA games are normally a bit late to the party, that's about it.

Make sure you get DDR4 RAM OP

Well I play Ark. Ark is literally a no go for AMD cards. Unfortunately there is too many games these days that are partnered with nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

irishmover wrote: »
    Well I play Ark. Ark is literally a no go for AMD cards. Unfortunately there is too many games these days that are partnered with nvidia.

Ark is literally a no go from any vendor outside the XBone. As WorthABuy puts it,
    "No matter if you're Keplar, Maxwell or a Tropical Islander, this game runs like an asmathic hippo missing 3 legs in a race.....uphill"

• Advertisement

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Ark is literally a no go from any vendor outside the XBone. As WorthABuy puts it,
    "No matter if you're Keplar, Maxwell or a Tropical Islander, this game runs like an asmathic hippo missing 3 legs in a race.....uphill"

Not at all. I've played it from day one with 40+ fps on 1440p everything on atleast high except cloud which had gimped frame rate for a while, with only the odd frame drop.

People even complained about that but it looked and played fine for me.

We ran our own server with 8 of us in total so that also helped. I never tested on public servers.

Advertisement