Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Friggin arthritis help...

• 19-03-2016 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Well folks. I'm just back to biking after years caught up in kids and mortgages and all that sh1t. In the time away I went and got myself a type of arthritis. Luckily enough it doesn't cause me any real bother, well it didn't until I went for my first proper spin yesterday. Was only out for an hour and the cold on my hands had me in a bad way when I got home. I have a half decent pair of gloves but they are not going to cut it. What I'm wondering about is heated gloves. Are they good and wouldn't they be really awkward to hook up every time you get on the bike? Or would battery powered ones be better.
    Any help lads cause I'm fecking heartbroken.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You could look at heated grips or and handlebar muffs that shield from the wind, then you can just wear whatever gloves you like

Hooking up heated gloves wouldn't be awkward either. A lot of them will be battery powered and you can do rechargeable batteries so it's no big deal at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

What part of the country you in? Iv a decent pair of cold weather gloves in the van you are welcome to which might help in the short term if you want them, iv used them in cold and wet weather and they have kept me warm. Pretty hot in summer though

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Oxford mitts all the way.

I ride in all weather, hail, rain or shine... and, stupidly, also ice... damn commute

1. The mitts to keep the rain and wind off
    2. Good gloves to keep the heat in (and protect in an off)
    3. Heated grips for supreme comfort / Heat pads for the Oxford mitts (not tried)

One word of caution with heated grips. You tend to ride harder in sever conditions with them, perhaps it's just me, but if you use knuckles as a bell weather for ground conditions then perhaps you'll need to adjust too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Get your hands into some muff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

aaakev wrote: »
    What part of the country you in? Iv a decent pair of cold weather gloves in the van you are welcome to which might help in the short term if you want them, iv used them in cold and wet weather and they have kept me warm. Pretty hot in summer though

Appreciate the offer that's sound. I'm in south tipp. I'll probably go for battery powered heated gloves when I get a few quid together. Getting this bike ready has me broke :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Appreciate the offer that's sound. I'm in south tipp. I'll probably go for battery powered heated gloves when I get a few quid together. Getting this bike ready has me broke :)

No bother at all man. Well im in kildare, if your ever up my way gis a shout and you can take em if you want. Ill pm you my number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Battery powered gloves might not last that long when riding a motorbike with the cold wind blowing through.

I've heated grips and bush guards on my bike and get away with summer gloves when it's dry. Was on a friends bike with just heated grips and it was much colder.

Muffs are ok till you start making progress and then they can start pushing the levers back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Heated grip and 3 different types of gloves, heavy, medium spring - summer and light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would be going for extreme comfort, If you get this 'right' from the get go it will make your biking experience far more pleasant and have you coming back from a journey feeling refreshed rather than stiff as a board (especially in Ireland)

Here is 3 things i would recommend to anyone that wants to get the most from biking but might suffer from something like arthritis.

1) Handguards - these keep the wind blast off the hands this is what draws most of the heat out of this area of the body.
    2) Heated Grips - whatever about keeping the wind blast off it works double well to put heat back into the hands or at least maintain consistent tempreture on a journey
    3) any decent well fitting gloves, if you go with 1 and 2 above (and i would really recommend them) you dont need to spend the sun moon and the stairs on gloves. Bear in mind gloves cant put the heat back into your hands they only delay the inevitable cooling which is why ive put gloves third on the list

4) Its not a necessity but once you get one you will never look back (honestly) comfort personified.

Heated jacket (under jacket)
    http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/102586

these things will make you want to stay out longer and make the whole experience better on the body when you have returned. Its just a different level of comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks everyone for the information. I think, to prevent unnecessary discomfort Ill get everything from handguards and heated grips to heated socks. may aswell be rolling with a big comfy smile on me face.

• Advertisement
Advertisement