Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous delays on Rail crossing on Galway line

Options
  • 19-03-2016 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

Why do the gates at Roscam and beside the Maldron hotel in Oranmore close 10-15mins before the train passes...it causes huge traffic problems...even blocking up the round-a-bout outside the maldron.
    It's stupid and needs to be addressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I suggest you contact Irish Rail. Maybe there is a reason for this we don't know about.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

This is ongoing. There was an article in the Tribune back in 2013: http://connachttribune.ie/call-to-tackle-delays-at-oranmore-rail-crossing-2/

The delays at the Maldron often clog the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Possibly because it's been the scene of fatal accidents in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭ratracer

Also, idiots could just, you know, not block the roundabout!! Maybe like at the gmit it needs a big yellow box all round it!!

finlma wrote: »
    This is ongoing. There was an article in the Tribune back in 2013: http://connachttribune.ie/call-to-tackle-delays-at-oranmore-rail-crossing-2/

The delays at the Maldron often clog the roundabout.
    Cllr Cuddy has brought the matter to the attention of Iarnrod Eireann and has asked for an explanation as to why the crossing is closed for so long.
    And this was back in 2013.. Wonder if he ever got an answer

• Advertisement

Maybe the signalling / control wasn't updated when the new station was built in Oranmore.

The gates being closed when a train was on that segment was fine when it was passing at 60mph - not so good if it is closed while a train is slowing, stopped at a platform and then picking up speed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Get onto the Joe Duffy of Galway. He has a Councillor on-the-phone trying to make headways for every problem presented to him. And he's not shy about asking a million questions either.

I dunno, OP doesn't strike me as the "do it yourself" type...*

*hint, it's in the name..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Have to agree with the OP ,I passed through the train crossing at Doughiska to the Oranmore Road and I thought the train would never come, people got out of their cars to listen and were wondering if the barriers were faulty. In the UK you never wait that long and over there they are high speed trains not like ours trundling along at 50mph. I know its safety first but that long wait for the train to pass is over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

As far as im aware the speed of the train has to be restricted when coming to stations and with the introduction of the oranmore station this leads to an increased delay.

Sure isnt there far worse things in the world to be worrying about that the auld traffic jams. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement