Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solictors Fees - am I being ripped off @ 1%?

Options
  • 19-03-2016 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi - sold my house last year using the solicitor I used back in 2006 to buy it. Solicitor is a well established Dublin firm <MOD SNIP >. To my shame I didnt discuss fees when getting them onboard last year to sell my house and when the final bill came it was 1% (of 350k price) plus VAT plus search fees etc. - just like the 1% I paid when buying in 2006 (at 465k!)

I'd like to use them again when buying (hopefully soon) but am I right in saying that 1% solicitors fees havent been around since Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach?

Id like to call them up an offer them the business (my purchase of a house in the 450-550k range) but only at 3500. Is that the done thing with these old Dublin firms?

Want to get all these sorted before I start bidding on places....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Get quotes from a couple of solicitors to get a better idea. You can always use the new quotes to encourage your existing solicitor to revise his.

Current ballpark appears to be in the region of €1000 - €1500 + VAT + Outlays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crooked_feet

around 2 k + vat would be average for dublin so your guy appears to be overcharging , a flat fee is more the norm nowadays rather than a percentage of the sale or purchase price , dont always go with the cheapest , i went with a solicitor who charges 900 euro + vat recently , guy is completely incompetent and may end up costing me the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

1% of value of a €450-€550k house is a complete rip off. Flat fee between €1000 & €1500 plus vat plus outlays would be the norm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

I'm paying €1750 + VAT. Its higher than the norm but I've had the same solicitor for years & hes excellent so I'm happy to stay in my comfort zone even though I know I could get cheaper. From what I hear, its very possible to get a competent one offering reasonable rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys. With my first place, I went on the basis that conveyancing is standard, so went with the cheapest. The guy was incompetent and should not be allowed to practice.

When I was buying a few years ago, I went on a recommendation. Cost €2,500 plus VAT and expenses, and it was the best money I spent. Having a stress free transaction is worth any amount of money.

If you can trust your guy, stay with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I paid 900/950 + VAT plus outlays in 2005.

Same solr, based in Dublin, charged not much more last year.

Low fees, all communication done by e-mail, no problems with work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys. With my first place, I went on the basis that conveyancing is standard, so went with the cheapest. The guy was incompetent and should not be allowed to practice.

You should have reported him, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

thanks all - will definitely be looking for them to charge around the 2k mark so otherwise will have to shop around....

You should have reported him, so...

Unfortunately the law society will not pursue except in cases of gross negligence or stealing from clients. All I can do is warn others off him.

sapper wrote: »
    thanks all - will definitely be looking for them to charge around the 2k mark so otherwise will have to shop around....

High costs do not not necessarily mean good quality. The best thing is a good recommendation from someone you trust

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I paid 850+ VAT when selling last year and after the other side mucked up and delayed things I checked out their Sol and they were bigger firm then my guy and charged 1%. Bigger money doesn't mean more quality. Even breaking it down. Why 1%? Is there more work for them to do the more expensive a house is...? If its a straight forward sale there is no need to multiple thousands fee. With a purchase you do want a solicitor who is on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

What kind of things can they do wrong or mess up?

I'm buying a new house and not that convinced by my solicitor so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

We paid €750 plus VAT.. So around €930. Not a bad price and she's been fairly on the ball.
    I do think solicitors really add to the delay in house purchases, it nearly feels like it's to justify their charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

digiman wrote: »

Well what is making you feel that your not that convinced so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

If you buy at auction and do not need a loan then do the conveyancing yourself its easy
    sapper wrote: »
    Hi - sold my house last year using the solicitor I used back in 2006 to buy it. Solicitor is a well established Dublin firm <MOD SNIP >. To my shame I didnt discuss fees when getting them onboard last year to sell my house and when the final bill came it was 1% (of 350k price) plus VAT plus search fees etc. - just like the 1% I paid when buying in 2006 (at 465k!)

I'd like to use them again when buying (hopefully soon) but am I right in saying that 1% solicitors fees havent been around since Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach?

Id like to call them up an offer them the business (my purchase of a house in the 450-550k range) but only at 3500. Is that the done thing with these old Dublin firms?

Want to get all these sorted before I start bidding on places....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

digiman wrote: »

Files not completed on time- or dealt with by a junior in the office.
    Information sent to a vendor's solicitor before you have fully decided how to proceed.
    Funds not forwarded to a seller's solicitor in a expeditious manner.
    Incomplete conveyancing.
    Nit picking at details (such as a prospective purchaser having sole access to a balcony or a private garden- when its actually vested in a management company).

The things that a poor solicitor could screw up- is a long and meandering list. A significant number of the good property solicitors have moved out of the profession (hell- there are entire practices in the UK and South Africa staffed solely with Irish solicitors these days- its quite remarkable when you come across them in the course of business........)

Advertisement