Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation tips and advice for first years?

Options
  • 19-03-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

How do people afford accommodation in their first year? The SUSI grant does not seem to be enough to support accommodation as well as other expenses. So I am interested in knowing how people were able to afford accommodation because I will be starting college in September ( hopefully ). Any tips for me, I live in a remote village about 70 km from UCD. But the nearest bus stop to me is 5 km away and with my mother's work schedule, my family has a below average source of income. commuting will be hard so any tips. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Realistically if you're planning to live off just SUSI and not much else your accommodation choices would be quite limited. I think digs or renting a room in a family home would be the cheapest option, or maybe sharing a room? Again if you're up for living a bit further away from UCD and walking or cycling to college this can definitely reduce your accommodation costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

The Blackrock campus has student accommodation, it's not too expensive. My friend who lives off SUSI made it work in first year (though she lived on beans and toast 'til her grant came in for the first few months). She walked to Belfield everyday, it's not that long a walk.

Other advice I'd give: start looking now, don't be too picky (right now my toilet's leaking, we have unreliable wifi, we all have to share our rooms and we live in a damp basement but I pay only 300€!) and call rather than email when contacting potential landlords/roommates because those places go fast.

Also: it's cheaper to rent a whole apartment/house with 4,5+ other people than to rent a bedsit or a room on your own so I'd advise to try and get together with other UCD hopefuls and start looking.

Do you have any older friends/ siblings/ relatives in Dublin? Try to use as much as you can any connections who might help you. Let EVERYONE know that you're looking for a place, so that maybe someone will remember you next time their friend says they're moving out or something.

Best of luck, I hope you find something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Thanks for all the great advice.

Advertisement