Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible (or worth it) to 'refurb' an old car?

• 19-03-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Have an old (2002) 1.4 octavia that I don't want to replace just yet - I still like driving it, but it's started turning a bit quirky... all windows go down when drivers door unlocks - it's like a clown car. Is it possible to get a full refurb done on all its systems (electrical/electronic/mechanical etc) or is it time to move on?
    (Have been thinking about this since seeing The Love of Cars on C4, would be great to take it on as a project myself but I don't know the first thing / haven't a lot of time to start learning)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

I think a refurb like this only works if a) you're doing a lot of the work yourself, or b) the car is rare/desirable enough to warrant the cost/time of the work.

Having said that, the window thing could be a simple fix, but dropping a 14 year old Skoda to a mechanic and giving carte blanche for an electrics overhaul sounds like a good way to lose money fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I'd have to double check but if the comfort ecu is on the same place as A4/A6 & passat (under the carpet on passanger side) then I'd change that first. I know there isn't a scuttle panel in the Skoda's but if the heater matrix had a small leak it could water damage the ecu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

cletus wrote: »
    I think a refurb like this only works if a) you're doing a lot of the work yourself, or b) the car is rare/desirable enough to warrant the cost/time of the work.

Having said that, the window thing could be a simple fix, but dropping a 14 year old Skoda to a mechanic and giving carte blanche for an electrics overhaul sounds like a good way to lose money fast

Yeah, want to avoid garages as much as possible, just wondering if it makes sense to attempt at all. Paid 8k for it 9 years ago and have had to spend very little on it bar the annual service, it owes me nothing, just wondering if I can give it a new lease of life & keep it for another few years (doing my best to minimise expenditure at the moment).
    So, is there some way of learning what I need to learn (night courses?) or is the notion an insult to mechanics everywhere? :)

I'd have to double check but if the comfort ecu is on the same place as A4/A6 & passat (under the carpet on passanger side) then I'd change that first. I know there isn't a scuttle panel in the Skoda's but if the heater matrix had a small leak it could water damage the ecu.

Comfort ecu... Scuttle panel... Heater matrix...
    You might be right - I thought it was the offset blanket clamp side lay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I'd check the comfort control unit (CCU) as mentioned above. Unplug all the wiring looms from it and see if windows are still acting up when you unlock it.

Does it happen when you unlock with key in lock or remotely or both?

If it happens with just key in lock with CCU unplugged then it's most likely a faulty door lock module in one of the front doors which are accessible by removing internal door card.

Check each one in turn by unplugging the wiring from the module and see which one is causing the problem. Then either try and fix it by opening up module and checking the PCB and other bits for damage or else buy a new one off eBay or Skoda depending on your budget (50 on eBay, double that from Skoda). Google search will give you a lot of help with HOW TO's from many who have had same problems. Also check for any damaged / broken wires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

minikin wrote: »
    Yeah, want to avoid garages as much as possible, just wondering if it makes sense to attempt at all. Paid 8k for it 9 years ago and have had to spend very little on it bar the annual service, it owes me nothing, just wondering if I can give it a new lease of life & keep it for another few years (doing my best to minimise expenditure at the moment).
    So, is there some way of learning what I need to learn (night courses?) or is the notion an insult to mechanics everywhere? :)

You can learn how to do most things needed on your car. You already have good advice on here for the window problems you have. Google and YouTube are indispensable for diy'ers, and this forum has a wealth of knowledge.

Buy your tools as you need them, you won't be long amassing a good collection.

Nothing beats the manly man feeling of working on your car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you unlocking with the key in the keyhole or using the remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, you posted in DIY forum so now you have no choice but doing it yourself :D

Yes, of course it's worth fixing it. Any problem can be fixed.
    List all the issues you have with the car, or is it only the windows?

Thanks for the responses! Would be great to actually learn some stuff :)
    current issues with windows: occurs when I unlock with key, stopped using the fob a few years ago (had a leak straight after buying it and this window thing was happening (fixed under warranty) - had forgotten all about it!

Exhaust is fupped - very noisy

Timing belt well overdue

Due an annual service this month... There's yellow engine spunk in the oil reservoir (gets topped up (with oil, not engine spunk) every 1k miles.

The windscreen washer reservoir has a leak.

(It walked the NCT in January all the same)

Any apprentice mechanics want a project?
    Any garages want to exchange services for printing?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

minikin wrote: »
    Have an old (2002) 1.4 octavia that I don't want to replace just yet - I still like driving it, but it's started turning a bit quirky... all windows go down when drivers door unlocks - it's like a clown car. Is it possible to get a full refurb done on all its systems (electrical/electronic/mechanical etc) or is it time to move on?
    (Have been thinking about this since seeing The Love of Cars on C4, would be great to take it on as a project myself but I don't know the first thing / haven't a lot of time to start learning)
    Thanks!
    Briskoda Skoda forum, all the technical, mechanical help u need there,for diy etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Exhaust is fupped - very noisy ---- find the leak & seal wiht some exhaust gunk stuff or get it welded at an exhaust center, or

Timing belt well overdue ---- ignore it it'l be grand

Due an annual service this month... There's yellow engine spunk in the oil reservoir (gets topped up (with oil, not engine spunk) every 1k miles. --- change the oil yourself, easy job

The windscreen washer reservoir has a leak. ---- find the leak, fix it superglue, chewing gum etc

come on its hardly rocket science stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Notch000 wrote: »
    Exhaust is fupped - very noisy ---- find the leak & seal wiht some exhaust gunk stuff or get it welded at an exhaust center, or

Timing belt well overdue ---- ignore it it'l be grand

Due an annual service this month... There's yellow engine spunk in the oil reservoir (gets topped up (with oil, not engine spunk) every 1k miles. --- change the oil yourself, easy job

The windscreen washer reservoir has a leak. ---- find the leak, fix it superglue, chewing gum etc

come on its hardly rocket science stuff

The oil turning to mayonnaise could imply a water leak, especially if it's taking a litre of oil regularly, which might not be diy possible to find or fix for a novice.

Thanks lads, I know it's probably not rocket science but easy when you know how and all that.
    Have always been of the opinion that it's best to stay well away from things you know nothing about.
    Maybe too much respect for the professionals!?!
    Exhaust - how do I find the leak: is it something you can see or feel (exhaust gases being expelled)?
    Timing belt, thought this was a critical thing (potential engine killer)
    Service: Have a haynes manual gathering dust for last five years (came in handy for small things)
    Oil: how do I dispose of old oil? (presume it's still frowned upon to tip out on top of baby seals... p.c.g.m.)

"[font=Roboto, sans-serif]The oil turning to mayonnaise could imply a water leak, especially if it's taking a litre of oil regularly, which might not be diy possible to find or fix for a novice."[/font]
    [font=Roboto, sans-serif]It's definitely spunk, rather than [/font][font=Roboto, sans-serif]mayonnaise.[/font]

Advertisement