Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Sailing

• 19-03-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    Having recently 're located to dun laoghaire I have been toying with the idea of learning to sail.

How would one start such a process , I've looked at each of the clubs , but having no experience am unsure on which direction to take

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The INSS on the west pier have courses for all stages, including complete beginners. www.inss.ie

Or most, if not all, of the clubs run adult introduction-to-sailing courses during the season - if you know any members in the clubs they'll be able to advise you of when they're on. The one in the NYC is usually in late June/early July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Now is a great time to start looking for courses as the evenings are getting brighter and the summer season will kick off shortly. I'd look to do a 1720 course in any of the sailing clubs or with the INSS. From there you can decide whether to go smaller (dinghy) or bigger (keelboat).

The 1720 is a nice mid sized boat, small enough to be fun big enough to not need a wetsuit. All the clubs do adult sail training in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

Try SID that is how one starts sailing in DL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

ahun wrote: »
    Try SID that is how one starts sailing in DL.

SID is wonderful but it's not really meant for complete novices. A few hours on the water under the supervision of an instructor is preferable first.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

SID is wonderful but it's not really meant for complete novices. A few hours on the water under the supervision of an instructor is preferable first.

I agree, up to the word 'first'. I would try it at first, spend a couple of hours on a sailing boat while others sail it, and then I would get an idea if I really like it (and it is worth to spend the big money on it) or should I just leave it alone altogether...

• Advertisement
Advertisement