Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to system restore without updating

Options
  • 19-03-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Well I upgraded to windows 10 a few days ago, and it seemed to create a new profile or something, the default videos, documents, etc in windows explorer were new and empty, but all my old stuff was still there, so it didn't bother me much, but today I restarted my pc and there were some updates, and when it was up and going again, all the files were back where they were pre windows 10. I later find that everything I did between windows 10 upgrade 3 days ago and the update today, is gone... So I needed some of that stuff, and tried to do a system restore, which had been set before the updates today, but when it starts up again, it automatically applies the updates again and I have the same problem...
    I can't find windows update in control panel now to turn it off manually, but I'm not sure if that'd even work, seeing as I'm restoring it, it would probably default to the settings at the restore point? Anyway, anyone know how I can fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

windows updates are under settings in w10

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

jos22 wrote: »
    windows updates are under settings in w10

But changing them doesn't do anything, because when it restores, it restores to before the change

that is an odd problem I went from W7 to w10 pro and everything went smooth

one thing you could try to do after the system restore is to remove the Hdd and connect via USB to a different system and copy the files you need off it from that time period

I assume your searched the HDD in case they some how got moved to different location

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

jos22 wrote: »
    that is an odd problem I went from W7 to w10 pro and everything went smooth

one thing you could try to do after the system restore is to remove the Hdd and connect via USB to a different system and copy the files you need off it from that time period

I assume your searched the HDD in case they some how got moved to different location

Yeah, I did. To be honest, I just re did everything I lost, I'm not sure there was a solution to my problem short of learning how to get deleted data from a hard drive, which is beyond me (As far as I know, all deleted date stays on the hard drive, and is pushed out when new data is added).

well once you had done a system restore part of that data could have being damage and if you do not know how to do it properly you could do more damage than good to the lost files.

• Advertisement
Advertisement