Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you allow your sons to be feminine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd hope not a few have tried, but you are trying to make me feel that I'm doing something wrong by not indulging in my sons cross dressing fantasy in public, joeytheparrot(I can see how he got his name) has 3 times in the last 24hrs put the blame of transgender suicides at my door all because I won't let my son out in the dress.

Nope. You're completely misrepresenting my position.

I put the blame for suicides and mental health problems at the door of people like you who are parents and choose to
    A) Stigmatise lesbians, gay men, bisexual people and trans people
    B) Disown their sons and daughters for being lesbian or gay or bisexual or trans
    C) Refuse to accept that their sons or daughters are lgb or t
    D) Attempt to force their children to be heterosexual or cisgender

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I put the blame for suicides and mental health problems at the door of people like you who are parents and choose to
    B) Disown their sons and daughters for being lesbian or gay or bisexual or trans

Ah I didn't do any of that and I didn't say I would if it happend so you've completely got it wrong.
    I said I don't want a transgender child so I won't encourage cross dressing in public as there's a chance parents can play a role in sexuality.

Ah I didn't do any of that and I didn't say I would if it happend so you've completely got it wrong.
    I said I don't want a transgender child so I won't encourage cross dressing in public as there's a chance parents can play a role in sexuality.

Yes you did.

You stigmatised lgbt people by referring disparagingly to our mental and sexual health. You are claiming your influence can make your child straight.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

I think you're assuming that drunkenmonkey has a more extreme viewpoint than the one he's putting across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

there's a chance parents can play a role in sexuality.

No, there isn't.

Also, cross dressing and sexuality are not necessarily correlated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

No problem in the slightest. Wouldn't bat an eyelid. Wants to push the pram fire away.
    All kids do this anyway I think, it's all just clothes and toys, make up, no harm.

So, cross-dressing at home is absolutely fine with you but the second your son steps out into the street wearing feminine clothing he's in danger of becoming transgender.

Bro do you even logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

sup_dude wrote: »
    I didn't take it literally. The message behind it is hyperbole too.
    No, they want boys to be whoever they want to be.

The message behind it is FAR from hyperbole. As a demonstration you only have to read this thread to see how people who want society to allow for boys to appear effeminate, have admonished posters with nonsense like "I hope your hypothetical children are this, that and the other". I'm paraphrasing obviously, but what's that if it's not using children that don't even exist as a means to ram their opinion down people's throats who disagree with them.

That's an insulting and cruel thing to wish on anyone, but please, reach for the tolerance paradox quote again if you must, because it justifies that ignorant attitude about as much as the Stephen Fry quote about offence. Is there an ignorance paradox soundbite too?

What they want, is to reject social and cultural norms, but they don't want to start with themselves and lead the change and set an example for children to follow. No, what they want is for children to go first, hence the "using other people's children against them as a battering ram for their opinions" metaphor. I'm not going to quibble with you over whether it was a metaphor or hyperbole as you appear at least to have understood the idea.

Where-as I don't think there's very many political candidates suitable for role models.

I only mentioned Hillary, that's one politician, and she isn't just a politician, but she is also one hell of a woman that with a set of cojones that she's demonstrated she's well able to play with the big boys! :D

And yet how do things become social norms? The concept of social norms being applied to individuality is, through its very nature, ridiculous.

And yet that is exactly what you expect to happen by suggesting that by changing the social norm, individuals who do not conform to social expectations now, will be able to change social norms... somehow.

I have no doubt you're familiar with the term "critical mass", but as it refers to sociology, in simple terms - there aren't enough boys want appear effeminately to effect the social change you're hoping for -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_(sociodynamics)

You're absolutely right, the idea of society changing to suit individuals is ridiculous, which is why it is always the other way around - individuals change society. Individuals for instance who take a leadership role, such as Harvey Milk -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Milk

Another politician and role model for both young boys and girls. Not sure about the size of his cojones though, didn't help his cause when he threw a man under the bus to promote his own political agenda -

On September 22, 1975, President Gerald Ford, while visiting San Francisco, walked from his hotel to his car. In the crowd, Sara Jane Moore raised a gun to shoot him. A former Marine who had been walking by grabbed her arm as the gun discharged toward the pavement. The bystander was Oliver "Bill" Sipple, who had left Milk's ex-lover Joe Campbell years before, prompting Campbell's suicide attempt. The national spotlight was on him immediately. On psychiatric disability leave from the military, Sipple refused to call himself a hero and did not want his sexuality disclosed. Milk, however, took advantage of the opportunity to illustrate his cause that public perception of gay people would be improved if they came out of the closet. He told a friend: "It's too good an opportunity. For once we can show that gays do heroic things, not just all that ca-ca about molesting children and hanging out in bathrooms." Milk contacted a newspaper.

Several days later Herb Caen, a columnist at The San Francisco Chronicle, exposed Sipple as gay and a friend of Milk's. The announcement was picked up by national newspapers, and Milk's name was included in many of the stories. Time magazine named Milk as a leader in San Francisco's gay community. Sipple, however, was besieged by reporters, as was his family. His mother, a staunch Baptist in Detroit, now refused to speak to him. Although he had been involved with the gay community for years, even participating in Gay Pride events, Sipple sued the Chronicle for invasion of privacy. President Ford sent Sipple a note of thanks for saving his life. Milk said that Sipple's sexual orientation was the reason he received only a note, rather than an invitation to the White House.

Bit of a cnunty thing to do really.

As has been said over and over, it's NOT creating a society wear boys wear dresses. You just said you understood this, and then you go and write the above! It's about creating individuality and allowing individuality. If someone doesn't want to wear a dress, fine. If someone does, fine. What you propose, as has been explained over and over, will not work as it's not what anyone is suggesting!

I do understand it, and to be fair to you, I should have been more explicit in saying that it's about creating a society where it is acceptable for boys to appropriate femininity as they understand the concept. Not only is that perpetuating gender stereotypes, but they're stereotypes that women have fought for decades to shake off!

Since you appear to be having some difficulty with googling the term 'SJW', I did you a favour and googled the term "princess boys". Before clicking on the link though, I will warn you - there isn't enough eye bleach -

https://www.google.ie/search?q=princess+boys&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHWA_enIE597IE597&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiBuvvVydfLAhXBkQ8KHddNC34QsAQIGw

As I stated at the very beginning of this thread - my son would look ridiculous in that get-up.

You're going to have to explain to me how random friends of yours trying to diagnose your son with random conditions is in any way relevant to allowing your son to be feminine.

Well, the fact that after spending five minutes with him they could claim he could be either homosexual, transgender, that he could be on the ASD spectrum, etc, was a bit more telling of their own issues with themselves, than any issues my son has with himself. In this thread we have had posters who claim to be able to know the minds of people they've never even met. I mean, it's amusing that they think they're so well informed about "issues" and all the rest of it, but when they think they can project their issues onto other people, that's when funny becomes just that bit more sinister, and when they try to project their issues onto my son, that's when I have to practice that whole patience thing I've been working on.

A bunch of Show-Jumping links came up, and I presume they weren't what was been mentioned. The peer-review system is under scrutiny in every science, for every topic. However, to dismiss it completely when it's currently the best we have, is beyond ridiculous. Learning to read journal articles and knowing which ones are actually valid by being able to pick each one apart, is a skill in itself and one many people demonstratably lack, as they have not learned.

I didn't dismiss it completely, I said it was under scrutiny for it's lack of objectivity. Clearly not even close to being the same thing in fairness. I'll come to that knowing which articles are actually valid (by your interpretation, and which articles are actually relevant, by my interpretation), in a minute.

How on earth is scoffing at the idea that being horrid to people causes mental issues anything other than sticking your head in the ground?

It isn't, which is why I made the point earlier about some posters in this thread who think they can say what they like, when they like, and treat people like shít, as though they appear to make no connection between the fact that these posts don't appear by themselves, and the fact that there is an actual person behind the keyboard. I guess causing, or exacerbating mental health issues are only a concern when the people on the other end of the keyboard agree with you. Otherwise it appears to be full-on scoffing at people who don't agree with you, because their welfare is not your concern. Now that's not directed at you personally, but it's directed at anyone who thinks it's ever acceptable to shoot their mouth off just because they want to get their opinion across and they don't care for your opinion.

The "tolerance paradox" is an excuse to behave like a dick.

I presume by ironic, you mean hypocritial. In which case, nobody arguing your argument has yet to produce a single shred of evidence for any "facts" they have presented.

In case you hadn't noticed, nobody else speaks for me, but me. So nobody else is arguing my argument, but me, and I've got 39 years of evidence, and 11 years of evidence, that backs up my opinion, that you, nor anyone else has, or will ever, be able to provide an argument against. The fact that you dismiss my evidence as irrelevant, doesn't make it go away. Those are the facts. What you've got, or at least what you have presented so far, are studies and statistics. Those studies and statistics do nothing for your argument, trust me on that much.

People relate to people through shared experiences. You could be Stephen Hawking (another role model), and you're still a human being. You can present all the statistical data, and all the studies, and everything else you have on paper (or in digital format even), and people will still be able to relate better to, and to connect with people better, through shared experiences. I was going to say "that's a fact", but you know what people say about facts on the internet :D

Yeah, about those links. I won't ask you to google, but rather I'll provide for you some reading material that's actually relevant in an Irish context, to Irish society, about mental health and children and the programmes that are being introduced in Irish schools to promote positive mental health in children -

Well-Being in Primary Schools

Well-Being in Post-Primary Schools

Or you could just not bother your arse reading them and dismiss them as irrelevant. All the same to me really at this stage one way or the other.

No, there isn't.

Also, cross dressing and sexuality are not necessarily correlated.

Strictly speaking what he has said is true. Sexuality is not about gay or straight. People's sexuality is often a function of their environment.

Yes you did.

You stigmatised lgbt people by referring disparagingly to our mental and sexual health. You are claiming your influence can make your child straight.

The transgender community has mental health and disease issues more than the general public, I said I didn't want my sons going down that road if I could have any influence. I also don't want my child getting their 3 piece suite lopped off and destroying any chance of me having grandchildren some day.
    I'm saying, parents actions may have an influence, that is correct and agreed by the academic your loudest spokesperson.

The transgender community has mental health and disease issues more than the general public, I said I didn't want my sons going down that road if I could have any influence. I also don't want my child getting their 3 piece suite lopped off and destroying any chance of me having grandchildren some day.
    I'm saying, parents actions may have an influence, that is correct and agreed by the academic your loudest spokesperson.

Important to note that there's no evidence that assignment surgery is the right treatment. No difference in suicide rates between pre-and post-ops.

• Advertisement

The message behind it is FAR from hyperbole. As a demonstration you only have to read this thread to see how people who want society to allow for boys to appear effeminate, have admonished posters with nonsense like "I hope your hypothetical children are this, that and the other". I'm paraphrasing obviously, but what's that if it's not using children that don't even exist as a means to ram their opinion down people's throats who disagree with them.

That's an insulting and cruel thing to wish on anyone, but please, reach for the tolerance paradox quote again if you must, because it justifies that ignorant attitude about as much as the Stephen Fry quote about offence. Is there an ignorance paradox soundbite too?

What they want, is to reject social and cultural norms, but they don't want to start with themselves and lead the change and set an example for children to follow. No, what they want is for children to go first, hence the "using other people's children against them as a battering ram for their opinions" metaphor. I'm not going to quibble with you over whether it was a metaphor or hyperbole as you appear at least to have understood the idea.

Where? Where have I done that?
    Have you even attempted to research the tolerance paradox? Because for all your sneering at it, you're coming across incredibly ignorant of it.

How many times does it have to be repeated that you cannot start with yourself if that is not who you are? It. Doesn't. Work. Like. That. They don't want children to go first. However, children are the next generation.

I only mentioned Hillary, that's one politician, and she isn't just a politician, but she is also one hell of a woman that with a set of cojones that she's demonstrated she's well able to play with the big boys! :D

We shall have to agree to disagree here.

And yet that is exactly what you expect to happen by suggesting that by changing the social norm, individuals who do not conform to social expectations now, will be able to change social norms... somehow.

I have no doubt you're familiar with the term "critical mass", but as it refers to sociology, in simple terms - there aren't enough boys want appear effeminately to effect the social change you're hoping for -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_(sociodynamics)

You're absolutely right, the idea of society changing to suit individuals is ridiculous, which is why it is always the other way around - individuals change society. Individuals for instance who take a leadership role, such as Harvey Milk -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Milk

Another politician and role model for both young boys and girls. Not sure about the size of his cojones though, didn't help his cause when he threw a man under the bus to promote his own political agenda -

The same argument could be made for every minority :rolleyes:
    Also, you've completely misunderstood what I meant about society and individual. Social pressures and "rules" should not extend to things that affect an individual.

I do understand it, and to be fair to you, I should have been more explicit in saying that it's about creating a society where it is acceptable for boys to appropriate femininity as they understand the concept. Not only is that perpetuating gender stereotypes, but they're stereotypes that women have fought for decades to shake off!

Since you appear to be having some difficulty with googling the term 'SJW', I did you a favour and googled the term "princess boys". Before clicking on the link though, I will warn you - there isn't enough eye bleach -

https://www.google.ie/search?q=princess+boys&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHWA_enIE597IE597&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiBuvvVydfLAhXBkQ8KHddNC34QsAQIGw

As I stated at the very beginning of this thread - my son would look ridiculous in that get-up.

There is absolutely no need for the condescending attitude. I am sure you are aware of how cookies work in browsers. Yes, I could have deleted my cookies and then searched, but I had thought it quicker and easier to ask here. Oddly enough, I'm very much regretting that decision if it's met with that kind of crap.
    I see nothing but children playing dress up.

Well, the fact that after spending five minutes with him they could claim he could be either homosexual, transgender, that he could be on the ASD spectrum, etc, was a bit more telling of their own issues with themselves, than any issues my son has with himself. In this thread we have had posters who claim to be able to know the minds of people they've never even met. I mean, it's amusing that they think they're so well informed about "issues" and all the rest of it, but when they think they can project their issues onto other people, that's when funny becomes just that bit more sinister, and when they try to project their issues onto my son, that's when I have to practice that whole patience thing I've been working on.
    Can you really not see the difference?

I didn't dismiss it completely, I said it was under scrutiny for it's lack of objectivity. Clearly not even close to being the same thing in fairness. I'll come to that knowing which articles are actually valid (by your interpretation, and which articles are actually relevant, by my interpretation), in a minute.

Which you have failed to do.

It isn't, which is why I made the point earlier about some posters in this thread who think they can say what they like, when they like, and treat people like shít, as though they appear to make no connection between the fact that these posts don't appear by themselves, and the fact that there is an actual person behind the keyboard. I guess causing, or exacerbating mental health issues are only a concern when the people on the other end of the keyboard agree with you. Otherwise it appears to be full-on scoffing at people who don't agree with you, because their welfare is not your concern. Now that's not directed at you personally, but it's directed at anyone who thinks it's ever acceptable to shoot their mouth off just because they want to get their opinion across and they don't care for your opinion.

The "tolerance paradox" is an excuse to behave like a dick.

Ah yes, back to the tolerance paradox which you have displayed a complete lack of understanding for.

In case you hadn't noticed, nobody else speaks for me, but me. So nobody else is arguing my argument, but me, and I've got 39 years of evidence, and 11 years of evidence, that backs up my opinion, that you, nor anyone else has, or will ever, be able to provide an argument against. The fact that you dismiss my evidence as irrelevant, doesn't make it go away. Those are the facts. What you've got, or at least what you have presented so far, are studies and statistics. Those studies and statistics do nothing for your argument, trust me on that much.

People relate to people through shared experiences. You could be Stephen Hawking (another role model), and you're still a human being. You can present all the statistical data, and all the studies, and everything else you have on paper (or in digital format even), and people will still be able to relate better to, and to connect with people better, through shared experiences. I was going to say "that's a fact", but you know what people say about facts on the internet :D

I don't think you understand science.

Yeah, about those links. I won't ask you to google, but rather I'll provide for you some reading material that's actually relevant in an Irish context, to Irish society, about mental health and children and the programmes that are being introduced in Irish schools to promote positive mental health in children -

Well-Being in Primary Schools

Well-Being in Post-Primary Schools

Or you could just not bother your arse reading them and dismiss them as irrelevant. All the same to me really at this stage one way or the other.

It's all relevant! An Irish Transgender is no different to an American one. I'm going to guess you haven't actually read the links either, as you have researched anything. I have to say, I'm rather surprised at you. Generally, I've found you open to information, even if you disagree.

If those programmes were successful, why is there still such a problem with mental health in this country, particularly mens?

walshyn93 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking what he has said is true. Sexuality is not about gay or straight. People's sexuality is often a function of their environment.

Even more claims you need to back up! I'm still waiting on the last lot.

Also:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140197197901093
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/261/5119/321
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/109/2/341.short
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01542224
    http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/dev/32/1/3/

And for interest:
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01544277#page-1

Jesus Christ. Do you think you could be any more crude or disparaging to transgender people?

You've got the definition of sexuality wrong. Sexual orientation is what you refer to.

Saying that being gay is a sexuality is essentially calling a fetish.

You've got the definition of sexuality wrong. Sexual orientation is what you refer to.

Where are your references?

You need 'eye bleach' after seeing pictures of healthy, happy kids wearing clothing they obviously like?

Where are your references?

A dictionary. If you're such a knowitall I'd expect you to understand the difference between sexuality and sexual orientation.

A dictionary. If you're such a knowitall I'd expect you to understand the difference between sexuality and sexual orientation.

Not in the context drunkmonkey used it.

And you know fine rightly I mean the ones I've been asking you for previously, and you keep dodging around.

Not in the context drunkmonkey used it.

And you know fine rightly I mean the ones I've been asking you for previously, and you keep dodging around.

That's why I said "strictly speaking" a child's sexuality can be influenced by the environment.

That's why I said "strictly speaking" a child's sexuality can be influenced by the environment.

Where are those references I've been asking for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The transgender community has mental health and disease issues more than the general public, I said I didn't want my sons going down that road if I could have any influence.
    You do know that the mental health issues that you mention are caused by exactly the negative attitudes that you're espousing. If you have a genuine concern about the mental health of your children, you need to change your attitude.

RainyDay wrote: »
    You do know that the mental health issues that you mention are caused by exactly the negative attitudes that you're espousing. If you have a genuine concern about the mental health of your children, you need to change your attitude.

Thought police out in force today.

Jesus Christ. Do you think you could be any more crude or disparaging to transgender people?

Well feck it I don't want my kids doing that to the furniture, if someone has a problem with my honesty that's their problem.

I can think of nothing more harmful to people to be removing perfectly fine body parts as a treatment for a mental health condition. We will look back in 30 years and think how we could ever be so cruel as to allow people to hack away at themselves. There's no evidence that reassignment actually improves quality of life long term. Even if there are some slight improvements in the day to day stuff, suicide rates remain the same for pre- and post-op.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jul/30/health.mentalhealth

Studies like this one were Guardian friendly in 2004 but wouldn't get funding today thanks to the SJW crowd silencing dissent with no-platforming, threats and intimidation.

I can think of nothing more harmful to people to be removing perfectly fine body parts as a treatment for a mental health condition. We will look back in 30 years and think how we could ever be so cruel as to allow people to hack away at themselves. There's no evidence that reassignment actually improves quality of life long term.

The references from before please. And now you've added more to back up.

The references from before please. And now you've added more to back up.

edited post

edited post

From your own link: "Its review warns that the results of many gender reassignment studies are unsound because researchers lost track of more than half of the participants."
    "The fact that research is badly constructed isn't a poor reflection on transpeople, but on the people we should be able to trust for our care"
    "Andrew McCulloch, chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, has written to the mental health minister, Rosie Winterton, requesting a "thorough assessment" of the long-term effects of sex change operations"
    "Transgender psychiatrists, who assess whether patients should change sex, agree that more scientific research is needed. But Kevan Wylie, chairman of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' working party on gender identity disorders, said that all of his patients' lives have drastically improved following gender reassignment surgery."

That's without me even reading the articles to know their length of time, reasons behind the reported suicides etc. You didn't even read the article you posted because most of it is critising it.

And the rest?

Studies like this one were Guardian friendly in 2004 but wouldn't get funding today thanks to the SJW crowd silencing dissent with no-platforming, threats and intimidation.

Oh yes? Is it not what you call the SJW crowd demanding studies, where-as you have been dodging and avoiding giving any proof of what you're saying, and then give one single link to a newspaper report... which shows all the faults of the study it's discussing...? Do you really think people demanding no studies will get that, just because they demand it?

Where? Where have I done that?
    Have you even attempted to research the tolerance paradox? Because for all your sneering at it, you're coming across incredibly ignorant of it.

I'm only coming across to you as ignorant of it, simply because I don't share your perspective on it. I have a fundamental disagreement with it's philosophy and it's utility.

How many times does it have to be repeated that you cannot start with yourself if that is not who you are? It. Doesn't. Work. Like. That. They don't want children to go first. However, children are the next generation.

I beg to differ -

The same argument could be made for every minority :rolleyes:
    Also, you've completely misunderstood what I meant about society and individual. Social pressures and "rules" should not extend to things that affect an individual.

I understood what you meant about society and the individual, but now that you're suggesting that social pressures and "rules" should not extend to things that affect an individual, you're completely ignoring the fact that they do extend to things that affect an individual. That is the way a society functions. The way it should function, is an entirely subjective opinion.

There is absolutely no need for the condescending attitude. I am sure you are aware of how cookies work in browsers. Yes, I could have deleted my cookies and then searched, but I had thought it quicker and easier to ask here. Oddly enough, I'm very much regretting that decision if it's met with that kind of crap.
    I see nothing but children playing dress up.

I didn't mean for it to come across as condescending, but more unbelievable that you're actually unfamiliar with the term in the first place, and then you can present scientific papers at will almost (some of those papers you provided I couldn't read any further than the abstract btw), I genuinely thought you were taking the piss.

Ok, you see nothing but children playing dress-up, I see... I can't think of any way to convey how utterly depressing it is to see children dressing like that, and yes, if I had a daughter, I'd be saying the same thing.

Can you really not see the difference?

I'm wondering what difference you see that when the thread title is "Would you allow your sons to be feminine?", why I shouldn't base my opinion on my own personal life experience, and the life experience of my son, and the factors that influence my opinion. Self-reported surveys form the basis of a lot of those statistics and studies you're linking to.

Ah yes, back to the tolerance paradox which you have displayed a complete lack of understanding for.

I understood it and I have disagreed with the philosophy and principle of it, long before you had ever introduced it into the discussion.

I don't think you understand science.

I understand the social sciences very well -

Social science is a major category of academic disciplines, concerned with society and the relationships among individuals within a society. It in turn has many branches, each of which is considered a "social science". The main social sciences include economics, political science, human geography, demography and sociology. In a wider sense, social science also includes some fields in the humanities such as anthropology, archaeology, jurisprudence, psychology, history, and linguistics. The term is also sometimes used to refer specifically to the field of sociology, the original 'science of society', established in the 19th century.

I also understand that two people can evaluate the same data and come to different conclusions about it's meaning based upon a whole variance of other factors that may influence their interpretation. Get enough monkeys in a room, and they'll churn out Shakespeare... eventually. One monkey on his own will do pretty much fcukall when left to his own devices.

It's all relevant! An Irish Transgender is no different to an American one. I'm going to guess you haven't actually read the links either, as you have researched anything. I have to say, I'm rather surprised at you. Generally, I've found you open to information, even if you disagree.

I am open to information, that's why I'm reading your links you're posting, so you're not wasting your time posting them (I'm just not able to read some of them as they're either pay to download, or you have to be a member). How I evaluate that information though, is an entirely different matter. If you think the experience of a person who is transgender in Ireland isn't all that different from a person who is transgender in America or Thailand or wherever else, then I'm not sure what other way there is to tell you that you're ignoring context.

I'm always open to information, certainly, but based upon the research I have done, and based upon personal experience, I still come to the conclusion that it would be absolutely and utterly detrimental to his overall welfare were I to allow my son to wear a dress or present himself in any other way other than his stereotypically and socially expected and accepted gender role. I'm in the rather fortunate position that I don't have to concern myself with that issue with regard to my own son, but that does not mean that in spite of how I may personally feel about the whole idea, that I would ever prevent or impinge upon another parent's right to advocate for their own child's welfare that they feel is in their own children's best interests.

I don't like the idea of Ramadan for example, and my son's friends going without food for the day, but that is their culture and their beliefs, and I consider that I have absolutely no right to interfere with that. That is why I have a fundamental disagreement with the tolerance paradox, because any excuse to be disrespectful of people who do not share my cultural and social values, is in my opinion, intolerant. What justifications other people use to act the way they do towards other people who do not share their values and their social and cultural identity, are their own business.

Intolerance begets intolerance.

If those programmes were successful, why is there still such a problem with mental health in this country, particularly mens?

They have only been recently introduced (2013 and 2015 respectively), and they're not even introduced in all schools across the country yet. It's a slow process (think in terms of years), and like I said earlier - social change happens over decades, it doesn't happen overnight. I don't tend to focus on a particular gender or demographic when it comes to talking about mental health tbh. The introduction of identity politics into any discussion gives me a pain in my face.

• Advertisement

I think you're assuming that drunkenmonkey has a more extreme viewpoint than the one he's putting across.

Nope. Not at all.

Terry Pratchet

What are you talking about?

Terry Pratchet

I'm only coming across to you as ignorant of it, simply because I don't share your perspective on it. I have a fundamental disagreement with it's philosophy and it's utility.

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance. It doesn't give an excuse to be intolerant to everyone.

I beg to differ -

And yet that goes against individuality which is what I'm arguing for.

I understood what you meant about society and the individual, but now that you're suggesting that social pressures and "rules" should not extend to things that affect an individual, you're completely ignoring the fact that they do extend to things that affect an individual. That is the way a society functions. The way it should function, is an entirely subjective opinion.

Yes, I've already acknowledged all of this. I then went further to say that society is changed by the people who belong to it. They do, but they shouldn't and the way to change this is to accept they shouldn't.

I didn't mean for it to come across as condescending, but more unbelievable that you're actually unfamiliar with the term in the first place, and then you can present scientific papers at will almost (some of those papers you provided I couldn't read any further than the abstract btw), I genuinely thought you were taking the piss.

SJW? I'm completely useless at abbreviations unless commonly used in my day to day life. SJ is an abbreviation of show-jumping to me and my google searches.
    Ok, you see nothing but children playing dress-up, I see... I can't think of any way to convey how utterly depressing it is to see children dressing like that, and yes, if I had a daughter, I'd be saying the same thing.

And that, to me, is an awful pity.

I'm wondering what difference you see that when the thread title is "Would you allow your sons to be feminine?", why I shouldn't base my opinion on my own personal life experience, and the life experience of my son, and the factors that influence my opinion. Self-reported surveys form the basis of a lot of those statistics and studies you're linking to.

And them being gathered together is what makes the study. A single report will be laughed at and thrown out, regardless of the science.

I understood it and I have disagreed with the philosophy and principle of it, long before you had ever introduced it into the discussion.

As above.

I understand the social sciences very well -

I also understand that two people can evaluate the same data and come to different conclusions about it's meaning based upon a whole variance of other factors that may influence their interpretation. Get enough monkeys in a room, and they'll churn out Shakespeare... eventually. One monkey on his own will do pretty much fcukall when left to his own devices.

Yes, social sciences are not a hard hitting as other sciences. It's well known. However, given that it works of some scientific basis, as opposed to none at all, gives it more strength than a mere anecdotal opinion. Oh, and every single study is like that. No matter how strong the science.

I am open to information, that's why I'm reading your links you're posting, so you're not wasting your time posting them (I'm just not able to read some of them as they're either pay to download, or you have to be a member). How I evaluate that information though, is an entirely different matter. If you think the experience of a person who is transgender in Ireland isn't all that different from a person who is transgender in America or Thailand or wherever else, then I'm not sure what other way there is to tell you that you're ignoring context.

Please re-read the studies.
    I'm always open to information, certainly, but based upon the research I have done, and based upon personal experience, I still come to the conclusion that it would be absolutely and utterly detrimental to his overall welfare were I to allow my son to wear a dress or present himself in any other way other than his stereotypically and socially expected and accepted gender role. I'm in the rather fortunate position that I don't have to concern myself with that issue with regard to my own son, but that does not mean that in spite of how I may personally feel about the whole idea, that I would ever prevent or impinge upon another parent's right to advocate for their own child's welfare that they feel is in their own children's best interests.
    Which research?
    I don't like the idea of Ramadan for example, and my son's friends going without food for the day, but that is their culture and their beliefs, and I consider that I have absolutely no right to interfere with that. That is why I have a fundamental disagreement with the tolerance paradox, because any excuse to be disrespectful of people who do not share my cultural and social values, is in my opinion, intolerant. What justifications other people use to act the way they do towards other people who do not share their values and their social and cultural identity, are their own business.

You do know that it's a paradox, not a rule?

They have only been recently introduced (2013 and 2015 respectively), and they're not even introduced in all schools across the country yet. It's a slow process (think in terms of years), and like I said earlier - social change happens over decades, it doesn't happen overnight. I don't tend to focus on a particular gender or demographic when it comes to talking about mental health tbh. The introduction of identity politics into any discussion gives me a pain in my face.

No it doesn't change overnight, nor have I claimed that. However, that doesn't mean we sit back and let it happen. Society changes because the people in the society make it so. As I have said earlier in the thread, society isn't some out there concept.

So to summarise, it's stupidly complex and to have any hope of getting it anyway right the rules have to be bendable.

Would you think that friends and experiences could in any way influence sexuality? Without going into to much detail.
    It really is very hard to say. Certainly from anecdote the majority of gay people - or transvestites like Eddie Izzard - and so on - say themselves they have felt like they were _always_ that way.

It is hard to know whether this is true. Self reporting is always difficult to parse. But they are _telling us_ they have been that way since birth in great numbers. Anecdote is not evidence - but it can still tell us a lot.

But there are so many things which strongly suggest it too. There have been studies showing correlative attributes in the brain or hormones or other features.

Or there are twins where one is gay and the other not - despite them having pretty much the same upbringing and experiences in many areas.

There are statistics showing the probability of being a homosexual male goes up depending on how many older brothers you have.

And so on so on. Too much to list.

Plus remember we _all_ have the genes for being gay. Why? Because men and women do not have different genes. We have essentially the same ones. We just differ in which ones are "turned on" (no pun) - so we do not even have to imagine that there is a "gay gene" like many have imagined. Rather just that the "wrong" "Straight gene" is turned on.

I have seen or read very little that suggests a first sexual experience influences what sexuality you will be however. In fact many gay peoples first sexual experiences are with the opposite sex. Because they have not admitted to themselves or others what their sexuality is - so they try to explore the "right" sexuality first. Or in an attempt to "cure" themselves. Before they finally come out to themselves and / or others.

So do parents have a role to play? Possibly, but we have no idea how much of a role. And also do not forget - many parents try to force their child to be one thing and they rebel and turn out to be the exact opposite. So if parents do have some role to play in sexuality - then that too would be a possibility there.

What are you talking about?

I think he's talking about what was assumed here and in further posts.

That's why I claimed you missed my point earlier, a lot of people agree there's a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Since you appear to be having some difficulty with googling the term 'SJW', I did you a favour and googled the term "princess boys". Before clicking on the link though, I will warn you - there isn't enough eye bleach

I love how people try to act as though they are perfectly reasonable and motivated by all the right things, and then they say something that shows just how much contempt and disgust they have for other human beings, and you catch a glimpse behind their mask of civility.

They talk about protecting their children from bullies but you know they're really about a hair's breadth away from calling a child a faggot because of how he's dressed.

Nope. Not at all.

You're assuming all manner of things about him just because he has a different opinion to you.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    I love how people try to act as though they are perfectly reasonable and motivated by all the right things, and then they say something that shows just how much contempt and disgust they have for other human beings, and you catch a glimpse behind their mask of civility.

They talk about protecting their children from bullies but you know they're really about a hair's breadth away from calling a child a faggot because of how he's dressed.

Contempt and disgust for other human beings?

No.

Contempt and disgust (actually that's an incredibly accurate description, despair too I suppose), for the fact that parents would indulge their children in such vanity and place such an emphasis on their child's appearance, such as it would have the effect that the child places more value in their self-worth as a person based upon their fashion sense, than their value and self-worth for their potential intellectual and social abilities.

We have different values. I have no doubt you would find some, or even many of my values, contemptible, disgusting and likely to lead you to despair. At what point you would consider my values detrimental to society, would be based upon your own values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

He can wear whatever he wants, play with whatever he wants as long as he's safe and happy and not harming himself or anyone else

Zillah wrote: »

They act like that because they're trying to appeal to your sensibilities so they angle their arguments towards the same end as yours, i.e. and end to bullying etc.

The truth is they have a totally different value system and favour tradition and conformity over tolerance and understanding. It's a perfectly reasonable and honourable point of view to have, but it has become taboo, so they try to argue like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

It's disconcerting to see this ongoing attack on masculinity. Only the other week we had a push to ban schoolboys from tackling each other in rugby. Now fathers should feel shame for not wanting their sons to be running around in skirts and lipstick. What's next? The Muslim countries treat women very badly, but we're at the other end of the spectrum; glorifying feminism, homosexuality and transgenderism. It's just one thing after another with these people.

You're assuming all manner of things about him just because he has a different opinion to you.

No. Just based on what he says.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Contempt and disgust (actually that's an incredibly accurate description, despair too I suppose), for the fact that parents would indulge their children in such vanity and place such an emphasis on their child's appearance, such as it would have the effect that the child places more value in their self-worth as a person based upon their fashion sense, than their value and self-worth for their potential intellectual and social abilities.

Actually, it's the complete opposite. It's those against it that make the big song and dance about it, drawing undue attention to it. Those who don't care if boys wore dresses or not, wouldn't bat an eyelid either way.

And perhaps buy female clothes that are not so obvious ( coats, shirts, legging, denim shorts but not skirts)

The reason I ask is because my father was averse to me wearing womens perfume, carrying a shopping bag that was "girly looking" and even holding a purse for my mother. He never allowed me to grow long hair even though I kept it tidy etc.

My mother wasn't too much better either.

So would you be comfortable if your son went out in lets say denim shorts or would that be unacceptable and embarrass you? Would you also allow sleepovers of the opposite sex if they have friends who are girls?

Allow?? Not my place, if that's who he is then that's who he is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note
    Ok all can we have another deep breath. We can debate these topics without personalising things.

From your own link: "Its review warns that the results of many gender reassignment studies are unsound because researchers lost track of more than half of the participants."
    "The fact that research is badly constructed isn't a poor reflection on transpeople, but on the people we should be able to trust for our care"
    "Andrew McCulloch, chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, has written to the mental health minister, Rosie Winterton, requesting a "thorough assessment" of the long-term effects of sex change operations"
    "Transgender psychiatrists, who assess whether patients should change sex, agree that more scientific research is needed. But Kevan Wylie, chairman of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' working party on gender identity disorders, said that all of his patients' lives have drastically improved following gender reassignment surgery."

That's without me even reading the articles to know their length of time, reasons behind the reported suicides etc. You didn't even read the article you posted because most of it is critising it.

And the rest?

I don't mind posting an article that has criticisms of a study in it, but most of that criticism is anecdotal. One doctor reckons all of his patients benefited. The study suggests otherwise.

"More research is needed" is essentially the point I was making. You can't do this research any more because it's not PC.

Johns Hopkins University, which pioneered gender reassignment surgery no longer performs the surgery because it's not the best treatment pathway. The anecdotal evidence can go both ways.

You can't do this research any more because it's not PC.

That is the biggest load of bullcr*p I've read on this thread, and that's saying something.

Where are your other references? And better references to the one you gave me?

That is the biggest load of bullcr*p I've read on this thread, and that's saying something.

Yes people on the side of the PC brigade have a particular blind spot when it comes to spotting it but there is no impetus for any university to have a quasi-fascist mob bully and intimidate them into defunding research that doesn't conform to their narrative.

Yes people on the side of the PC brigade have a particular blind spot when it comes to spotting it but there is no impetus for any university to have a quasi-fascist mob bully and intimidate them into defunding research that doesn't conform to their narrative.

Says a lot really

Terry Pratchet

:pac: would you like a tinfoil hat?

At any rate, seeing as you post as though you have a fanastic insight into the world of science, it's interesting that yet again, you have failed to produce references after demanding them from others. You even took it out of the quote.

Says a lot really
    :pac: would you like a tinfoil hat?

At any rate, seeing as you post as though you have a fanastic insight into the world of science, it's interesting that yet again, you have failed to produce references after demanding them from others. You even took it out of the quote.

The trans lobby is mental. Who in their right mind would want to put up with this? It's just not worth it. And the way everyone jumps in to justify violence in a debate is astonishing.

Another question, when has a woman every said something like that?

The trans lobby is mental. Who in their right mind would want to put up with this? It's just not worth it. And the way everyone jumps in to justify violence in a debate is astonishing.

Another question, when has a woman every said something like that?

Your references, if you please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement