Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front/Rear Rest

• 19-03-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a front and rear rest. Not the bags.
    Looking for something height adjustable.

Nothing too expensive, but not crap either

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Can't go wrong with a Caldwell rest if you want something decent, there are a few models depending on what you want to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Strider wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with a Caldwell rest if you want something decent, there are a few models depending on what you want to spend.

i was looking at them but the seem to be hard to get over here.

Was going to try the Caldwell Matrix
    http://www.btibrands.com/product/matrix/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If it's for BR shooting or even some other form of target shooting be careful about the "one piece" rest systems as the rules for some comps don't allow them. They require a separate front rest and back rest.

The Caldwell is the cheapest of the good range. The Rock BR would give you the features you want at the lowest price. Next is the Caldwell Fire Control System. More expensive, but a more stable system. The BR used to be over €250, but was "replaced" by the Fire control which used to cost over €350. Neither are readily available here and would have to be ordered or shipped in.

After this you move into the likes of Cicognani, SEB, etc. All of which can run €700 upwards. I've used the SEB, but never bought. They are superb. However at €1,000+ you'd really need to love your BR shooting.

What kind of shooting is it? Also is it informal or comp or both?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I'm only starting out, not heavily into it yet but shooting off a bi-pod is not that consistent so I said I get myself a cheapish rest.

Cass wrote: »
    If it's for BR shooting or even some other form of target shooting be careful about the "one piece" rest systems as the rules for some comps don't allow them. They require a separate front rest and back rest.

The Caldwell is the cheapest of the good range. The Rock BR would give you the features you want at the lowest price. Next is the Caldwell Fire Control System. More expensive, but a more stable system. The BR used to be over €250, but was "replaced" by the Fire control which used to cost over €350. Neither are readily available here and would have to be ordered or shipped in.

After this you move into the likes of Cicognani, SEB, etc. All of which can run €700 upwards. I've used the SEB, but never bought. They are superb. However at €1,000+ you'd really need to love your BR shooting.

What kind of shooting is it? Also is it informal or comp or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Any rest you look at will probably need to be imported, not many shops would hold them in stock. Caldwell is really your only man if you're just looking for a cheap intro model. It depends what rifle you will be using too, a Cicognani is really more suited for a rifle with a flat, square sided foreend. I have a Cicognani myself but for my rounded foreend rifle I use a Caldwell Rock.

• Advertisement

Another option for you.

The Caldwell Rock. It's a step up from the Rock Jr, and costs about €150 new. It can be adjusted for height and a neat trick is to use the front adjustment foot for fine adjustment as well as for level.

You can get different bags for it which allow for any stock type.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a front and rear rest. Not the bags.
    Looking for something height adjustable.

PSXDupe,
    What are you looking to do with the rests? Any long range?

On a budget, you're going to find it hard to beat the Caldwell rests, as mentioned by the lads. The Caldwell Rock-BR would be grand for the front and maybe the Caldwell Rock Deluxe, for the rear, if you can fit it.

If you are going to shoot long range, the Rock-BR is probably your best bet as it has adjustments for windage.

If you feel like spending money...

Some of the equipment I have seen in long range shooting outside of Eire is just incredible.

Front and rear rests by List: a true piece of beauty, functionality, and incredible precision. Also considerably out of my reach at around $4500.

If you have a fixed solid bipod, you may wish to just buy one rear rest that is adjustable for windage and elevation, if possible.

Ransom makes a great rear rest and I just may try one myself - $545.

Another great rest is made by Dierks - $525.

I am doing a bit of homework myself and looking at front and rear windage adjustable rests for $1100 from ALS.

If you are shooting a light gun, you may get away with the Caldwell Fire Control rest. I thought about one, but went against it due to the one piece beam which I doubt would stand up to my heavy gun.

Can you get a rear monopod on your gun?

The Caldwell Rock-BR is probably the best you will do for the money. I have seen several shooters routinely shoot 7" and 5" groups at 1000ya using it.

Really I'm only looking at 50m-100m at present, no long distance stuff at all.

I might go with the Caldwell Rock BR but as it not long distance I'm not sure if I need windage adjustment. The Caldwell Rock might do me

The Caldwell Rock seems to cover all your needs so i'd say it'd be fine for you.

As for back bags. Caldwell do a back bag and they are great quality and a good bag. The only problem i found with them is stability. Not moving on it's own, but more shifting. It has no base built onto it so can shift slightly from right to left. You don't want this. I attached a piece of timber to one of my Caldwell back bags and it really increased the stability of the back bag.

However some manufacturers provide a base on their back bags. Edgewood would be one of them. They are more costly than the Caldwell but are a very solid bag. Just make sure to get the one with the right ears for your needs. By this i mean the ears on the bag can be short or high. Short ones are good for BR type rifle with flat butt stocks. However when you put a standard type stock into it the ears really do not hold the rifle. This includes CZ, Anschutz, and any other "hunting" style stocked rifle.

Lastly fill material. Both the back bag and front bag of the rest need filled. They will not come filled. Choosing the right material is very important. Ordinary sand works but if it gets damp can clump in the bag. Some use children's play sand as it's finer and i did on one of my bags and it's fine. Others use a composite material filler. These usually consist of pellets of plastic. I don't like these as they allow for large pockets of air/gaps and the bag never really feels solid. Recently i've spoken to a chap you tells me he uses a fine copper shavings/filings. The bag he uses is rock solid, but i've no idea where he gets it from.

Whatever you decide make sure you pack it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭hexosan

http://www.sutter-gmbh.com/Gun-Shooting-rest::3605.html

Not sure what it's like but surely within your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Seb rear bags are pretty good Brian Fox over in the UK was doing them last time I got one. Very solid bag most of the shooters I know in the Fclass are using that or the Edgewood.

hexosan wrote: »
    http://www.sutter-gmbh.com/Gun-Shooting-rest::3605.html

Not sure what it's like but surely within your budget.

Not a great thing for shooting with. A little awkward, but a solid rest. Great for cleaning, mounting scopes, etc. Problem is it falls into the same problem the Caldwell Fire Control system does. It's all one piece. If the OP is entering BR comps they cannot use a one piece rest system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Best rests for value "long term". Cicognani €570 tripod style with fine vertical and horizontal, Seb rear bag from fox arms about €70 delivered, you will need horizontal as there are no real grouping comps

Advertisement