Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v Manchester United, Sunday 20th 4pm SS1

• 19-03-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Ok let down to the bones of it...

This is a big game, no if and buts about it! If Man Utd win, they will only be 1 point off 4th, lose and they will squander all hope and give plenty of maneuver room for Liverpool to overtake them in the league.

For City, this is a chance to put aside all the league disappointment to one side and cement 4th spot.

Let not forget the history...

2011: United 1 - City 6
    2012: City pipping United to the League on final day in the most glorious way possible, who can forget the way Jones reacted!
    2013: City 4 - United 1
    2014: United 0 - City 3

Yeah, I am a City fan... sue me!!

In the interest of balance, United won 4 - 2 in Old Trafford in 2015.

Anyhow, it is a huge game.

It is tough for City going in with injuries in defense and are struggling creatively (we drew 0-0 with Norwich for crying out loud!!!).

Prediction 1 - 1 draw which nobody will be happy with!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Go on... :pac:

Could it not be the least interesting game between them in years?

While it is still possible for City, it's unlikely. I would have thought that in all meetings in recent years, one or both were going for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ok let down to the bones of it...

This is a big game, no if and buts about it! If Man Utd win, they will only be 1 point off 4th, lose and they will squander all hope and give plenty of maneuver room for Liverpool to overtake them in the league.

For City, this is a chance to put aside all the league disappointment to one side and cement 4th spot.

2011: United 1 - City 6
    2012: City pipping United to the League on final day in the most glorious way possible, who can forget the way Jones reacted!
    2013: City 4 - United 1
    2014: United 0 - City 3

Yeah, I am a City fan... sue me!!

In the interest of balance, United won 4 - 2 in Old Trafford in 2015.

Anyhow, it is a huge game.

It is tough for City going in with injuries in defense and are struggling creatively (we drew 0-0 with Norwich for crying out loud!!!).

Prediction 1 - 1 draw which nobody will be happy with!

It's nice to see a club that never existed before 2011 in the top league in England!

Come on lets ****ing have a recap of how Lecister have done this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

It's nice to see a club that never existed before 2011 in the top league in England!

Was just recalling the recent history off the top of my head. Strangely more good moments than bad... selective memory is a wonderful thing :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Could it not be the least interesting game between them in years?

While it is still possible for City, it's unlikely. I would have thought that in all meetings in recent years, one or both were going for the title.

4th place is crucial.
    Effectively a battle between these two and West Ham for the last spot.

Not as exciting as the title of course, but the clubs will consider this a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I hate derby days. All over the place here, no appetite, not much sleep last night. If I smoked, I'd be on my second pack by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The new arab oil funded Man City have an advantage these days. Utd are always under huge pressure from the fans even in the good times the millions of supporters around the world have high expectations. They want to win, they want to be entertained, they want excitement and they don't want to lose to rivals. When Utd perform badly an epic sh1tstorm awaits whoever the blame can be pinned on.

City have only one fan to please, Sheikh Ali Baba or whatever his name is, and he can't complain too much because he's running the thing so he's only himself to blame when things don't work out. City players aren't remotely concerned about a negative reaction from the sprinkling of plebs who turn up at the Etihad, their voice means nothing. Yaya Touré's behaviour shows how little the players care about the fan's perception of them.

The pressure on LVG's Utd has them on the brink of collapse so unfortunately I think City will win well today because they don't fear losing as much as Utd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Korat wrote: »
    The new arab oil funded Man City have an advantage these days. Utd are always under huge pressure from the fans even in the good times the millions of supporters around the world have high expectations. They want to win, they want to be entertained, they want excitement and they don't want to lose to rivals. When Utd perform badly an epic sh1tstorm awaits whoever the blame can be pinned on.

City have only one fan to please, Sheikh Ali Baba or whatever his name is, and he can't complain too much because he's running the thing so he's only himself to blame when things don't work out. City players aren't remotely concerned about a negative reaction from the sprinkling of plebs who turn up at the Etihad, their voice means nothing. Yaya Touré's behaviour shows how little the players care about the fan's perception of them.

The pressure on LVG's Utd has them on the brink of collapse so unfortunately I think City will win well today because they don't fear losing as much as Utd do.

Jesus Christ..what kind of rubbish is this...I am not a city supporter..you act like Utd. have millions of fans to please, and City have none apart from the owner. Seriously whatever you are smoking please put it down before, you harm yourself with your delusion sire'.

Both teams do not want to lose so I think it will be boring 1-1 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

blueser wrote: »
    I hate derby days. All over the place here, no appetite, not much sleep last night. If I smoked, I'd be on my second pack by now.

Not being smart but do you genuinely feel like that?

I didn't think anyone took this quite that seriously.

Not judging you if you do or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

City are capable of putting a run of 9 wins together and if they do I could still see them winning the league on the back of that.

That said they've shown no form to date to give any one confidence that they're likely to. So today's game is a big one as a win here could kick start them in to that run which brings them back in to the title chase and could be enough for them to win it.

I'll be cheering for a draw or Man Utd myself though purely because I would like to see Leicester win the league. One or two more games where Man City drop points should be enough to rule them out of the race completely!

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ..what kind of rubbish is this...I am not a city supporter..you act like Utd. have millions of fans to please, and City have none apart from the owner.

You're very naive if you think players who join clubs like Chelsea and Man City are motivated in the same way as players at prestigious clubs like Man Utd.

Most City players never knew City existed before the oil money appeared, not one of them consider becoming a Man City legend preferable to joining a club like Utd, Bayern, Real or Barca if the money on offer was remotely similar.

There's no emotional bond there and they know the only person who's opinion counts is the guy who sanctions their inflated wages, which they know they're unlikely to get elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You're very naive if you think players who join clubs like Chelsea and Man City are motivated in the same way as players at prestigious clubs like Man Utd.

Most City players never knew City existed before the oil money appeared, not one of them consider becoming a Man City legend preferable to joining a club like Utd, Bayern, Real or Barca if the money on offer was remotely similar.

There's no emotional bond there and they know the only person who's opinion counts is the guy who sanctions their inflated wages, which they know they're unlikely to get elsewhere.

Nonsense , few of utd's player probably grew up yearning to play for man utd above all other teams.
    As for calling players mercenaries, its a PROFESSIONAL career and if any team stopped paying their players then we 'd see the emotional attachment to the club!
    Same goes for liverpool, celtic , barca , bayern or other storied clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Players aren't motivated by what a club achieved 30, 40 or 50 years ago, they're motivated by the present circumstances and future potential of a club.

Their contract, manager, facilities, coaches, teammates and success of the club motivates players, not the Busby Babes, Quality Street gang or Boot Room (every club has their version).

If your point was valid, players wouldn't be leaving clubs like Celtic or Ajax for the likes of Southampton, Norwich or Spurs, but the reality is that they are because it's a step up in circumstances.

Now for you, perhaps the important circumstances are the level of success the club achieved a few decades ago, however for players, it's the here and now; money, standard of football, chances of success, commercial opportunities etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You appear to hold United in some sort of a warped fantasy version of what the club actually is relative to City.

United and City are in the same boat in terms of having only one man to answer to; the owner.

Fortunately for City, they've an owner that contributes to the club rather than drains it. Irrespective though, it doesn't lessen the attachment or investment either set of fans have in the game.

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yep. Born and bred in Manchester. Grew up about 5 minutes walk from Maine Road. I've supported them all my life (53 now), and have had a strong dislike for our quiet neighbours for a similar length of time. I'm not being sarky or wumming, but anyone not brought up in the city wouldn't understand the feelings that derby day brings on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City should win this

That is a load of bollocks.
    "Sheikh Ali Baba"? Yeah, let's throw around a racist stereotype.
    "Sprinkling of plebs"? Jesus Christ.
    "arab oil funded"? As opposed to American funded, I presume?

Not bothered if I get banned or not by the way, so if you want to report me, go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

blueser wrote: »
    That is a load of bollocks.
    "Sheikh Ali Baba"? Yeah, let's throw around a racist stereotype.
    "Sprinkling of plebs"? Jesus Christ.
    "arab oil funded"? As opposed to American funded, I presume?

Not bothered if I get banned or not by the way, so if you want to report me, go ahead.

Banned for what?

Nunu wrote: »
    Banned for what?
    The use of the term "bollocks". Believe me,you'll be surprised at how little you can get a warning for on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If City can't win this they should be shot

Agreed. So why can't I shake this horrible feeling of what will happen out of my head? Too many "typical City" moments down the years, I guess. Last weekend being a very recent example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I see it now, Joe harte clanger, brought out round back after the game, a single shot breaks out.....

I see it now, Joe harte clanger, brought out round back after the game, a single shot breaks out.....
    I shouldn't, but I tittered at the mental imagery there!

Its the weekend of away wins how could we possibly lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

City will spank us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

0-0 borefest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-0 City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

3-1 City .Its there away form thats dragging City down .I think I was reading they have the best home form in the League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

4-1 utd

Southampton are the highest placed team City have beaten this season? :eek:

That explains a few things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Two under performing teams but Utd are in a much worse state.

City should win. Utd have been gutless when they concede.

Quinn, Souness and Caragher o some salty salty tears after the game would go down a treat... One time please..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

4-3 to city, Aguero with all 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus,United are in better league form going into this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Dull, unimpressive and bland 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I fear for the central defence of city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Really poor from Darmain there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I fear for the central defence of city

Dosint make a difference to utd we be in luck to get a shoot on target anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sterling being Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

****in hell Smalling walkin a tightrope already

**** off rojo just **** off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Stunner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get in

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Cool as you like