Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very unfit, where do I start?

• 19-03-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I need help. I'm very unfit. I want to get fitter and lose weight. I think now I'm ready. It's lighter evenings etc.

What do I start with? I have asthma and just unfi in general. I noticed (have a pulse monitor and oxegen monitor) That my heartbeat goes up to maybe 140 whilst just walking. There is no way I can run and I am too shy to join a gym.

Is there anything I can do that effective but won't leave me in bits?

My diet would be very bad and I do know the right things to eat.

Example of what I ate today.

Breakfast- two twix bar, cup of tea.

Lunch- lidl fudge (640cals) and two packet of small crisps.

Didn't eat then till late in the evening.

Dinner Poppy Seed bagel, with cream cheese and a whole avocado.

Snack small latte and an orange.

Drank water, tea and a small bottle coke zero.

I feel like my diet is really crap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I need help. I'm very unfit. I want to get fitter and lose weight. I think now I'm ready. It's lighter evenings etc.

What do I start with? I have asthma and just unfi in general. I noticed (have a pulse monitor and oxegen monitor) That my heartbeat goes up to maybe 140 whilst just walking. There is no way I can run and I am too shy to join a gym.

Would highly recommend couch to 5k. Search for an app and just follow the plan. I did it 18 months ago and with a few small changes in diet lost close to two stone in six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Would highly recommend couch to 5k. Search for an app and just follow the plan. I did it 18 months ago and with a few small changes in diet lost close to two stone in six months.

What is a counch to 5k? Where do I find app? I'd love to lose that amount of weight in 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

What is a counch to 5k? Where do I find app? I'd love to lose that amount of weight in 6 months!

It's an app you can download from your phone. Basically builds up your fitness from walking to a run over a course of a few weeks. If completed you should be able to run 5k. Really good for anyone starting out trying to get fit.

just looked it up. I really can't imagine myself ever running?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The couch to 5K app is exactly for people who can't imagine running.

But the biggest changes need to be made to your diet. If you expect to turn things around by exercise alone, you won't. Make small positive changes to it if that helps make it easier for you but no matter how small it's a positive change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When I started it I was five stone overweight and barely managed day one but it's really well designed so you will be able for it. It's a great introduction. Don't underestimate walking and you can find lots of free exercise classes on YouTube. Your diet is awful, you have to feed your body for exercise. Try keeping a food diary for a week, write down what you eat, where you eat and how you are feeling. It's a great way to see what your triggers are. You can do it.

Sugar is my weakness and eating on the go. I just tend to go for fast quick food. I know it's not the right choice. Is the Avocado and bagel ok for Dinner/lunch?
    I'm not a huge fan of meat and I'm allergic to nuts. I just joined myfitnesspal to keep a track on my food. No idea for breakfasts as I usally go for chocolate and tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Start c25k programme with the app and make one small change at a time with your diet. Step 1 have a bowl of porridge for breakfast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you imagine yourself eating :
    Breakfast- Porridge with bluberries, banana,cup of tea.

Lunch- Chicken wrap.

Dinner Steak, veg, potatoes.

Snack nuts/raisins.

Drank water, tea and a small bottle coke zero?

That would be a start with a decent breakfast and dinner and better snacks?

Sugar is my weakness and eating on the go. I just tend to go for fast quick food. I know it's not the right choice. Is the Avocado and bagel ok for Dinner/lunch?
    I'm not a huge fan of meat and I'm allergic to nuts. I just joined myfitnesspal to keep a track on my food. No idea for breakfasts as I usally go for chocolate and tea.

I was a mad sugar fiend too. I switched to things like honey and Sweet Freedom to sweeten food. Preparation is everything, plan your weekly meals in advance and cook in bulk. Make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks. Switch to wholemeal bread , pasta etc and try to make as much from scratch as possible. Get plenty of water, it really helps.

• Advertisement

Avocado is a great food. Reasonably high in calories nowhere near what you're having for breakfast now. And more nutritional value in it than chocolate and tea.

But you have unlimited options. I don't have a hugely varied diet but that's just me. Greek yoghurt and fruit is very tasty and filling. So is porridge (for me..some people don't find it so) or scrambled eggs.

Food higher in protein and fat tends to leave you fuller for longer but that doesn't factor in cravings for other food you're used to eating.

So maybe commit to one change at a time if that helps make it easier bit actually commit to that one change

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

You don't really seem to want it, if you want it you're gonna have to believe in yourself and make the effort. The couch to five k is a great start and I think you'll get a boost from it but you will never outrun a bad diet. Is there a local running club where you could train or a slimming world you could join? Never be embarrassed, you're trying to better yourself be proud of that. I promise there is loads of help if you take the first step and look for it, after that you just have to commit. Good luck .

Thanks for all the lovely replies and suggestions. Tomorrow I will start with the healthier breakfast and maybe a banana for a snack. I have done a good shop in with healthy food.

I do really want to get fit and lose weight. More so for my health rather than how I look although that will of course be a bonus.

Definately a sugar addict so need to address that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Make sensible changes. If it try to do too much too soon, there's a risk you fall off the wagon to easily.

And post here if it helps. You'd be surprised at finding that it does.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have got a full work out recently and bllood too. He said i can walk but not major gym exercise due to my asthma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Op before you start exercising you need to sort that diet. It really is dreadful, there's no nice way to say it. I think you know that yourself so it's just a matter of making the changes you know are needed. Healthy eating is the foundation of everything you want to achieve. There are thousands of excellent books and websites dedicated to healthy eating to help you along.

You can worry about exercise afterwards. When the time comes the couch to 5k is very good and there and hundreds of hugely effective exercises you can do at home with basic equipment if you don't want to join a gym.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Op before you start exercising you need to sort that diet. It really is dreadful, there's no nice way to say it. I think you know that yourself so it's just a matter of making the changes you know are needed. Healthy eating is the foundation of everything you want to achieve. There are thousands of excellent books and websites dedicated to healthy eating to help you along.

You can worry about exercise afterwards. When the time comes the couch to 5k is very good and there and hundreds of hugely effective exercises you can do at home with basic equipment if you don't want to join a gym.

I'm not offended don't worry. That's why I posted. I know it's dreadful and It's time to change my eating etc. I also just started myfitness pal account so I can actually see what i'm putting in my body. I've had a dreadful diet for years and starting to really full, ill and bloated low on energy and to be told it's your diet is a big wake up cal. I know i'm lucky that my check up was ok but i'm 31 and can't get away with it anymore. I need honesty.

I'm not offended don't worry. That's why I posted. I know it's dreadful and It's time to change my eating etc. I also just started myfitness pal account so I can actually see what i'm putting in my body. I've had a dreadful diet for years and starting to really full, ill and bloated low on energy and to be told it's your diet is a big wake up cal. I know i'm lucky that my check up was ok but i'm 31 and can't get away with it anymore. I need honesty.

I'd stick to walking for a bit before you run, just until you sort the diet out. You will probably need to detox a bit from all the junk. It's not easy to change but just focus on one day at a time. Give yourself a treat day too once a week. It helps to have something to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Download my fitness pal app it's fantastic for monitoring what you eat I wouldn't say it's 100 % accurate but it's a good guide . Stick to natural foods rather than processed foods . Weight loss is lost and won in the kitchen as they say. The trick is not to starve yourself though regular meals and small healthy snacks. Good luck with it

• Advertisement

How much of a treat to have on treat day? just a small bar?

How much of a treat to have on treat day? just a small bar?

Saturday is my treat, tonight I had a homemade takeaway with naan bread , a few beers and a mini mars bar. I enjoyed it but not so much I'm feeling bloated. I will eat clean the rest of the week and get a good bit of exercise in so I don't feel guilty. I love food and I love unhealthy food so cutting it out completely isn't going to happen. I still eat as I did just healthier versions and smaller portions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

There's a lad called Steve Way. He was 33 years old, 17 stone and 20 a day smoker.

Then he started running. In 2014 he ran the marathon for England at 40 years old in the Commonwealth Games.

It's a genuinely inspirational tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

I'm not an overly healthy person myself but your diet is terrible. Sorry but that's the truth. Walking will help but diet is 90% of your problem. Get that in order and then start walking daily and then slowly get into light jogging. You'll be surprised at how quick you can raise fitness levels. Persistence is key!

I recently started a diet I stick pretty closely to Monday to Friday at least. I do cut loose on the weekends but my diet during the week allows me to do so without awful results(weight gain): Here's a typical day for me in work:

Morning:
    -Porridge with blueberries or a spoon full of honey if I have no berries.

If I'm in a rush I just grab a banana and drink a pint of water, even if I'm not overly thirsty

Snack at 11am:
    -Quarter of a cucumber chopped into slices
    -5 baby tomatoes
    -1 boiled egg

Lunch at 1pm:
    -4 slices of McCambridge brown bread with low fat butter and a tiny drizzle of honey to flavor things up.
    -1 or 2 bananas depending on size.
    -1 Bag of Manhattan popcorn if I'm still hungry

Dinner: Chicken Stir fry with egg noodles and freshly chopped peppers and onions. Little bit of curry paste to flavor things up. Chilli flakes,ground pepper and herbs are your friend here as they're v low in calories and all taste great

In other dinners include loads of broccoli and cauliflower. Not the nicest tasting foods in the world but you can eat loads of them as they're v low in calories. Don't go mad on pasta but if you do watch out for the sauces/pesto. They are usually v high in calories/salts etc. Other meats like beef ,turkey and fish are all good in moderation

I snack on fruits like kiwis, grapes, apples and on occasion cheat snacks but as long as they're not daily you'll be doing far better than you are now

I'm not saying my diet is great by the way. I'm sure if someone dissected it, I'd be missing loads of vital foods but in comparison to your current diet, it seems reasonable. I won't embarrass myself with my weekend diet as it's generally awful but as I said if you can eat well for 5 days of the week, you'll be well on your way to a healthier lifestyle and fitness regime

Keep at it and monitor your progress. Be prepared to have way more energy if you cut out the crap and replace it with good food

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭the14thwarrior

good on you for posting - at least you are honest. there are a number of apps or books out there. if you don't want to join a gym don't, you'll waste your money. I suggest going to weight watchers or sliming world or something, because you'll pick up good tips and recipes. i hate running, and don't see myself ever doing it, so don't bother with 5 K. this year I've met up with friends who all did the couch to 5K, but only 1 person actually did the running in the end. the rest of us just walked. i personally like swimming and biking, but i'm not that motivated. suggesting doing couch to 5k for someone who can't imagine running is like asking them to stick pins in their eyes - my friends all told me i could do it, and no doubt i could; if i wanted to. but i don't like running, and think it would be very bad for my illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Emily Bronte

Hi. Because of your asthma I would start very gently into exercise. I do 5 to 6 yoga exercises most days. Yoga is very good for our minds bodies and it helps with breathing.
    You could join a yoga class or pick up a good book. I have Yoga for stress by Vimla (can't think of her second name). The secret is to start with 2 or 3 exercises and add to that as you go along.
    Your diet is not good. Make a couple of changes. Drink more water. Try and start the day with beakfast. Eat curly wurly intead of Twix when you feel you need chocolate.
    Keep a journal and write down your successes as you go along.
    Best of luck to you
    Emily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Life is a long distance race not a sprint so I wouldn't rush into anything.
    Here a list of things I have done over the last year that have left me fitter and lighter.

- get a Fitbit and aim to walk 10,000 steps a day
    - no more fizzy drinks
    - stop using lifts
    - drink 2L of water a day
    - no chocolate
    - weigh myself every day
    - try to cut back on takeaways
    - drink a meal replacement drink a couple of days a week
    - do a long walk a couple of times a week
    - really cut back on takeaways
    - buy a treadmill and walk on it 3 times a week
    - up my treadmill speed as my body adjusts

Trying to do a good walk every day. Also trying to drink more water and better breakfasts too. Baby steps as i've a pretty bad diet and don't want to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Emily Bronte

eviltwin wrote: »
    Saturday is my treat, tonight I had a homemade takeaway with naan bread , a few beers and a mini mars bar. I enjoyed it but not so much I'm feeling bloated. I will eat clean the rest of the week and get a good bit of exercise in so I don't feel guilty. I love food and I love unhealthy food so cutting it out completely isn't going to happen. I still eat as I did just healthier versions and smaller portions

Hi
    Read your original post and reply's. I do a few yoga exercises most mornings. Been doing it for about 10 years and Iv'e become quite disciplined at it. Never would have thought that I would take up yoga and stick with it. Yoga is for all ages and all fitness levels. I use a book called Yoga for Stress by Vimla (can't think of her surname).
    Because of your health problems you need to start exercise gradually an build it up. Just 5 mins a day is a start. Also take it easy because your diet is poor. My daughter goes to Slimming World. She has learned to make wonderful meals. She still eats chocolate- curly wurly's would be better than twix as they are less fattening and lower in sugar.
    You could also keep a journal if you like. Don't get discouraged if you have a bad day. Just start back into your exercise as soon as you can. Don't forget to reward yourself for the positive changes you make.
    Best of luck
    Emily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Try get a walk in every day, and yeah start working on that diet. We have started eating chopped fruit for breakfast with a sprinkling of happy pear granola (and he has yoghurt). The days we dont have that, we have porridge.

Replace lattes with americanos. Cut the bagels (they are really bad!). Try limit the chocolate to once a day (i find it easier just not to have that type of stuff in the house). Make sure the fridge is well stocked with good food.

I thought Bagel were ok? :eek:

Today I had

Porridge with milk and a low fat latte

Lunch bagel with avocado and small bit of cream cheese

Dinner chicken with veg and a little gravy

Snacks, banana, apple

Lots of tea and water and a small can of full fat coke

is that really bad?

psinno wrote: »
    Life is a long distance race not a sprint so I wouldn't rush into anything.
    - weigh myself every day

I say rush. Headlong. Balls out, change everything fast.

I do think weighing yourself every day achieves absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hi MrsYelnekoff,

Fair play to you. You've taken the first step! And in most ways its the hardest one to take. You said you acknowledged your diet is poor. You're already well ahead of where some people are.
    There are some great people on these forums, use their knowledge. I won't hash back over what they have said as there has been some good suggestions, I would agree with sorting out the diet first (that doesn't mean sit down all day while you sort out the diet, get moving with a walk each day).

One point I would make is to re-educate yourself or change your perspective on what you used to think were foods that are "good" and "Bad". I really dislike a black and white way of looking at things. You need to tackle the whole approach to nutrition, knowing what your body needs and doesn't need is more important. You mentioned a low fat latte above. Is that any better or worse than a full fat latte? Sometimes 'low fat' food is loaded with sugars. A bagel won't kill you, eating one every day however isn't advisable. (Read the label on the bagels you're eating)
    However one things that I can certainly say is good/bad is: absolutely 100% kick the fizzy drinks. I cannot say this enough. That stuff is evil. If you were to make one change, that would be it. (it's actually a really hard one to kick alright though. Maybe try having sparkling water with a touch of cordial if you absolutely need it, eventually just cutting the cordial too)
    Drink enough water everyday. (Buy yourself a nice bottle and carry it everywhere with you!)

Try to get a good balance of protein, carbs and fat (fat is NOT the enemy) in each meal.
    You don't need to get this down to a science or over complicate things to begin with. An easy way to approach it is to have a look at portion sizes on a plate (using a smaller plate can help). Plenty of resources online on this, some use a hand analogy to portion size etc.

Another helpful one to keeping it simple is: When you are doing your shopping stick to the outside aisles (The fresh produce). The less packaging on your food generally the better! :)

Small, gradual changes will get you there, its not a sprint. You will get to where you want eventually.

Like many others have said, good on you for taking the first step. Onwards and upwards from here, and there's a great community here so use them! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought Bagel were ok? :eek:

Today I had

Porridge with milk and a low fat latte

Lunch bagel with avocado and small bit of cream cheese

Dinner chicken with veg and a little gravy

Snacks, banana, apple

Lots of tea and water and a small can of full fat coke

is that really bad?
    No. It's much much better than your first post.

It's not perfect, but it's a massive step forward.

Did you feel hungry eating what you did, or did you enjoy it and feel satisfied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I do think weighing yourself every day achieves absolutely nothing.

Measuring things never achieves anything. Kinda like counting calories. It is what you do with the information and what the information does to you. I find it useful. YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

First things first, well done you taking the first steps in improving your health. You won't know yourself when you get used of it all. Hopefully as well, with the little bit of weight going it might improve your asthma a small bit.

I am on the journey to make myself a little healthier as well, so let me tell you how I am going so far, maybe it will encourage you a little.

First things first, I am an ex smoker, about thirty a day, I gave them up three years ago. I was no supermodel before that, but after I gave them up the weight piled on.

On January 1st I weighed in at 15st 8. Im only five foot 2 I ate no breakfast, chips and a sandwich at lunch, a big dinner, and late at night before bed I would at least have a large bar of chocolate and a giant bag of crisps. All this with absolutely no exercise at all. Being a total and utter cliche I decided to change things in the new year.

First thing I did was go to a personal trainer. Three days a week, I had no strength and was at the level of strolling on a threadmill. Within a month i was doing 40 mins of cardio before the workout, followed by a circuit of weights. For example, first week I could not do squats without help from the trainer, had no weights on the leg press, I started crying trying to step up and down on the box, was not able to do any push ups, and was bench pressing about 10KG and I think 20 Pounds on the pull down and shoulder presses. That was the level i was at. Id say a 70 year old woman could have done better than me. It was awful! Second night i dislocated my finger because i fell off the box, That hurt, but i went back the third night anyway.

I changed my diet to help ease arthritis and psoriasis (Im 36, got them very young) So went on the Anti Inflammatory diet. This involved giving up pototatoes, dairy, processed foods, fatty red meat and refined sugars. Maybe there is something out there foodwise that helps ease asthma. This link could be of help for you https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/food/
    On top of that i was told to eat three times a day and on top of that take two protein shakes. He also told me not to eat after 7, and don't have any carbs after lunch. It took me a while but im used of that now.

I am now 11 weeks in (i think) and i am two stone down. Probably more down in fat because i have gained muscle.

Last week i did three hundred squats one night, did five sets of fifty on each leg on the box (the thing i found so hard that i fell off and disclocated my finger), and at a quick pace at 40 mins a go on the cross trainer and threadmill, On the leg press i'm lifting 80 Pounds (3 sets of 20), same for the pull down and shoulder press, except its 3 sets of 30. Im bench pressing 25 KG (five sets of ten), am up to thirty press ups as well, which i genuinely thought i would never do. I still have a loooooong way to go, but im glad i have finally made a start. im far from being fit, im still pumping sweat and out of breath and damn sore. But i've gotten to the point where i feel i would let myself down if i didnt show up to the personal trainer. Before i would have talked myself out of it.

Sorry if this is a little long winded, just know, you are not on your own. I am so proud of myself and I am barely started, hopefully in two months time you will be too!

Best of luck! :)

Really liking the porridge for breakfast. I thought I would be too lazy/rushed in the mornings to make it but so quick and easy. I got Orangic Wafer oats and they are so tasty and filling. Wasn't hungry again till lunch time :eek: Haven't had chocolate yet today! Going to try and hold off till Sunday and enjoy maybe a medium size easter egg then?

Would it be terrible to have a medium size chocolate Easter egg on Sunday? Or should I stay off chocolate? What do you healthy eaters do for Easter?

I have it in my mind that if i eat chocolate i've blown the diet.

Really liking the porridge for breakfast. I thought I would be too lazy/rushed in the mornings to make it but so quick and easy. I got Orangic Wafer oats and they are so tasty and filling. Wasn't hungry again till lunch time :eek: Haven't had chocolate yet today! Going to try and hold off till Sunday and enjoy maybe a medium size easter egg then?

Would it be terrible to have a medium size chocolate Easter egg on Sunday? Or should I stay off chocolate? What do you healthy eaters do for Easter?

I have it in my mind that if i eat chocolate i've blown the diet.

It depends. If the egg doesn't trigger bad choices then it's just a treat. It won't have blown the diet if it stays as it is. But to be honest, a small egg is often enough to satisfy that desire to have a chocolate egg on Easter Sunday.

But either way, the egg on its own won't ruin the diet. If it affects the rest of your food decisions then it's blowing the diet.

I like chocolate. I love beer. Beer and training don't go well together.

I used to be very ascetic, staying dry for 4-6 months or more. But that would end up in a bender and I'd be wrecked for a week.

Now I'll have a nice beer, or 2, every few weeks as a pressure release. I don't feel guilty or think I've wrecked my block, I just consider it a supplement.

I think chocolate can be experienced in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

No harm in s treat but make a deal with yourself that it's only for that day. You do need to allow yourself a treat now and again or else what's it all for. Have you tried 70% dark chocolate? I find two squares is plenty, where I'd wolf down an entire dairy milk in seconds.

Good to hear the diet is going well overall. Porridge is awesome, try adding cinnamon, a tbspn of raw honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, natural yoghurt or anything else you like the taste of for variety.

• Advertisement

Treat yourself to some healthy pancakes with a square or two of dark chocolate put in on Easter Sunday?

Good on you though. Think PowerToWait hit nail on head, going cold turkey on things is too extreme, especially when you are starting out. Small incremental changes, like rather than eating a medium Easter Egg, have some dark chocolate instead (like two squares). Doing too much too soon is going to just see you snapping back to poor eating choices like an elastic band. Set some realistic goals and go for them (like someone else said, don't make your goals a number on a scales).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I am very unfit. Very! And my diet was very similar to yours by that stage I was on a slippery slope. In Jan I decided it needed to change. I had about 3 stone to lose too. I joined slimming world and that helped my diet: It helped me with getting back into eating healthily a bit, and still was able to use my syns if I wanted chocolate.

Then I started going to the gym for the first time ever. I was so nervous, so sure everyone would look at me and think what is she doing here and so afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. 6 weeks on and I can't believe what I can do. I bought some new clothes for the gym which helped my confidence a bit too, stuck in my headphones on the cross trainer etc... I work with a trainer and I'm down a dress size and I'm really toning up. I never thought I could do it. I can do 150 squats now. When I started I did 20 while he held my hands ;) it was all bit by bit and I go twice a week.

And I have a Lindt Easter egg for Sunday! I'm really looking forward to it :)

I got myself a little mini kids easter for Sunday. It's 400cals. It's so I don't feel deprived and I am looking forward to it. I feel a lot better since I started the diet. No more heartburn and it's just a week so far :eek:

I have also been walking instead of the car so about 1 hour a day sometimes more. I can't believe how unfit I am though. I'm feel really out of breath and sweaty from just walking so need to increase my fitness big time.

I've also been taking on advice from you all so thanks so much for the support.
    I am drinking more water which defo help with the hungry and really can't believe how much porridge fills me up. Still sticking to porridge or eggs for breakfast.

I just hope I can keep it up!

Awesome work MrsYelnelkoff!

Make sure to keep the progress steady and change one thing at a time. The fitness will come in time. Keep this up and in six months you'll be flying! Really do wish you the best! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I have also been walking instead of the car so about 1 hour a day sometimes more. I can't believe how unfit I am though. I'm feel really out of breath and sweaty from just walking so need to increase my fitness big time.

Utterly unqualified to give any fitness advice (just stumbled upon the thread), but if you find you start getting bored with walking and thinking of it as lost time I would recommend trying out some podcasts or audiobooks.
    I find if I've a decent walk to work it helps the time fly.

I got myself a little mini kids easter for Sunday. It's 400cals. It's so I don't feel deprived and I am looking forward to it. I feel a lot better since I started the diet. No more heartburn and it's just a week so far :eek:

I am drinking more water which defo help with the hungry and really can't believe how much porridge fills me up. Still sticking to porridge or eggs for breakfast.

Getting the water into you really helps. Sometimes people confuse hunger with thirst.

Keep up the walking if it's something you don't mind doing and consider a podcast or something to pass the time. When you start finding the walking easier and easier you'll feel so much better because you recognise the improvements.

Don't try and think about all of the changes. Just pick off the positive changes one at a time and it doesn't feel so drastic and you find it way easier to adjust and it doesn't get overwhelming and is far more sustainable. Often, people give up because they're not able to sustain all of the changes they've made at the one time and ditch it. Baby steps add up and keep you moving in the right direction.

And remember, if something goes wrong and you make a bad choice or a couple, forget it and get back on the horse and get going again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Fair play to you for trying.
    You CAN do this, believe me.

I joined the gym in July and overhauled my diet and even though it has been hard at times, it has been the best thing I ever did.
    I, too, couldn't believe how unfit I was and I could never imagine I could run or lift weights or be one of those girls who can work out, but I have amazed myself.

At almost double my ideal weight, I started off small and started on the treadmill (so in your case, it'd be walking) and I exercised four times a week.

I never deprived myself; Saturday is my treat day and I look forward to them because I can have something I fancy.
    But eating better has not only contributed to my weight-loss of four stone since then, but it has done wonders for my overall health.
    I started running a few weeks ago.

Me! Running! I'd the very person to say "Not me. I will never do it." But I am. It's only a few minutes at a time but I'm trying and I'm doing it.
    I am seeing huge improvements in my fitness and eating better makes me FEEL better.

Make your meals from scratch; make healthier versions of the meals you like.
    Drink water. Lots of it.
    Green tea/peppermint tea is great for digestion and combats bloating.

I always had heartburn and indigestion but now I never suffer from it and my back pain has disappeared and I had very bad back pain since 2008.

We're here if you need support, OP, but take each day slowly; baby steps all the way.
    You will amaze yourself and 12 months from now, if you stick to it, you will be a different person.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Well you're off to a good start anyway.

MyFitnessPal is a great app and helped me lose 35lbs so I'm glad to see you're using that.

Porridge is one of the best breakfasts you can have so keep that up. Keep drinking plenty of water too, I'll not comment much more on the diet because it's been covered already, I'll just stress that it is the most important part of this.

Walking is probably the best exercise for someone who is overweight. If you're very heavy, doing couch to 5k could be a disaster. Trying to run would put far too much pressure on your heart, lungs and joints. Running is great alright and is something you could consider once your fitness levels come up a bit and your weight goes down. Swimming and cycling are really good options too but stick with the walking for now. It's hard enough doing this already without joining gyms, hiring personal trainers or spending a fortune on equipment. You don't need to make it hard on the purse/wallet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Agreed; the old saying is true. You can't run before you can walk.
    I'd been walking on the treadmill for seven months before I even felt up to trying to run.

Some might say that took me ages but for me it was right.
    I almost felt like I wanted to get some weight off first, before attempting to run.
    Like I said, I'm only running a few minutes at a time but I know I can increase it over time.

MyFitnessPal is brilliant; it's not 100% accurate but it really makes you aware of what you're eating.

Trying to push myself more with exercise. Walking at faster pace. Find listening to music whie walking makes me do more.

Also trying not to make my food like a diet but just healthier choices. This is what I'm having for the day the last few days.

Breakfast porridge made with full fat milk (not much milk9
    Tea with milk Or Boiled egg on 2 slices of toast without butter

Lunch Avacado on a wholegrain bagel or crispbread with small bit of cream cheese

Dinner sweet potato fries with mini chicken fillets and veg or Baked Salmon with 3 small patoatoes and veg (boiled veg and the potatoes are steamed)

Snacks Banana or small amount of grapes or strawberries

Still have a small latte in morning which is 60cals and a small can of coke zero a day.

What can I improve on?

I'm logging everything on Myfitnesspal and am sticking to cals.
    I'm getting a bit bored with the porriage for breakfast and the Avacoda for lunch so I went shopping and bought tuna and more eggs just so I won't get bored and break it. Also bought lots fruit in to snack on. I can't eat nuts as I'm allergic unfortuately. I'm doing 40mins of brisk walking a day.
    Drinking water is hard for me but I'm drinking about 6 glasses of water a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement