Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very unfit, where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irenec1

To break such bad habits you need help and support. you said you are a sugar addict, check out an overeaters anonymous meeting, deals with the addiction issues. As said above one of the slimming clubs listed are a huge help, trains you back into good habits with support, they work. Also, is you have asthma, you should consider cutting out dairy. Losing weight will help a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Drinking water is hard for me but I'm drinking about 6 glasses of water a day.

Try not to get too hung up on that - the whole "Drink 8 glasses of water a day" was a completely arbitrary piece of advice that became axiomatic over the years and stuck like glue and doesn't take into account the water that people consume in tea/coffee/other drinks and even in their food.

Obviously water is preferable to juice/tea/coffee but don't stress about it too much if you find it hard to drink x amount of plain water per day.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html?_r=0

For what it's worth, I find it extremely difficult to drink still water, I have a weird thing about the mouthfeel. I drink sparkling, but only because I like it, not because I feel like I have to drink x amount of water per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I don't like drinking water from a glass but have no problem drinking it from a bottle with a sports cap. No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I don't think anyone should be forcing water into themselves but if you are exercising more you probably need more and maybe you weren't getting enough to begin with.

Check where you are on this colour chart.

http://dripdrop.com/chart-dehydrated/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

True; if you're drinking teas and other liquids, they all go towards your daily water intake.

I drink a lot of fluids; about two bottles of water before/during the gym, then a few peppermint teas afterwards, maybe a cup or two of Lyons', plus green tea.

I also drink water throughout the day but I'm pacing all this liquid so it's not being consumed in a short period of time.
    Once you're keeping yourself hydrated; that's the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

I just want to say well done so far MrsYelnekoff. Building and improving with lots of gradual and continual small manageable, achievable, changes and improvements for life is the key. Permanently replacing automatic bad habits with automatic good habits takes time, dedication, and perseverance. Especially for the first few months / years. Sugar is an addiction as bad as alcohol or cigarettes. It took me months to get rid of the cravings, but I feel so much better for it. If you keep up a good diet, exercise becomes so much easier, in fact your body will crave it instead of trying to avoid it.

Patww79 wrote:

Nope, a common misconception. The second link I post deals directly with that.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

Completely agree with your second point, but out of genuine curiosity, did you actually read either of the papers cited in that link about caffeine consumption and dehydration?

Not having a go at all, just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Arkady wrote: »
    I just want to say well done so far MrsYelnekoff. Building and improving with lots of gradual and continual small manageable, achievable, changes and improvements for life is the key. Permanently replacing automatic bad habits with automatic good habits takes time, dedication, and perseverance. Especially for the first few months / years. Sugar is an addiction as bad as alcohol or cigarettes. It took me months to get rid of the cravings, but I feel so much better for it. If you keep up a good diet, exercise becomes so much easier, in fact your body will crave it instead of trying to avoid it.

Maybe it depends on the kind of person you are, but I'd hate to think sugar is as bad an addiction as cigarettes. Generally, if you're giving up cigarettes, you really don't want to be having any more when you've completed that process, for fear of relapsing. However, when you've beaten sugar cravings, I wouldn't like to think that you could never have the occasional Mars bar, 'cause you're afraid of ending back up on 5 a day. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dpendable

I'm currently 2/3 the way through a Personal Training course and I'm keen to but into practise some of my learnings, in addition to my own life experience of training. I've spent many years playing sport and weight training and would consider myself to be in decent shape (sub 20min 5k; all lifts are at least 1.3 times body weight etc).

I'm keen to gain more hands on experience training and coaching individuals 1:1, resultantly I'm happy to give some free coaching to anyone interested in reaching out to me. Worth noting however that I do have a full time job and hence my availability is limited.

Anyway if you're based in Dublin or Kilkenny, I'd have no probably conducting a 1:1 session with you. Again this would be absolutely free. Big benefit for me here is gaining experiences with individuals 1:1 as opposed to the team environment which I'm more familiar with.

Drop me a message if it's something you'd be interested in.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Well done to yourself,totally agree diet is the key .I find porridge with a banana and some natural yogurt keeps me going till mid morning (porridge is made with water only )

At present i'm recovering from a hernia op so have walked more in the last month than for a long time(65 km) as i won't go out on my bike till i've seen the consultant on tues.

so typical day
    3 glasses of water, walk dogs 20 mins
    feed chickens ,walk around garden/field.

Porridge ,banana,nat yogurt. mug of tea

sit and read e mails etc for 1/2 hour
    walk if dry for 1-1/12 hours prob about 7-8 km now
    drink pint water after

Omellette or home made soup for lunch (veg,squash,carrot,sweet potatoe,celery)
    mug of tea
    Now after 5 wks post op do bit of light digging in garden etc

dinner
    Meat ,veg ,potatoes or home made chips.
    mug of tea.

evening
    2 mugs of tea.

This seems to have kept me at an even keel and i feel good now.

Looking forward to getting out on the bike again now as weather improves and lighter evenings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

firstly well done on taking the first step, the diet can be cleaned up thats the easy bit, you know what to eat and what not to eat, my rule is try to get stuff as close to how it was processed as possible, low intervention, fruit and veg meat etc all good. Sweets, fizzy drinks, processed stuff avoid.

I still eat bread and pasta etc just fresh bread or fresh pasta homemade easy stuff not processed.

ive lost, 86lbs in the last year and a half its tough but worth it. went from 20 stone 2lbs to what i am now which is just over 13 and a half stone (have to wait till satruday to find out my current weight i only weight myself every two weeks now)

i started by cutting out the junk, fizzy drinks etc no sweets etc.

the running i started slow, i went to the gym told them i was really unfit and didnt want to be gawking on the floor and wanted to build slowly, they gave me a programme and i stuck to it until it wasnt hard anymore.

my diet at the moment is pretty simple and i prep it myself or if im feeling super stressed or am really busy i use a food delivery service:

today for example its:

up at 6:30 for work,
    cup of peppermint tea and two pancakes (made my mashing a banana and mixing with 2 egg whites i add cinnamon and nutmeg and fry in a pan with coconut oil)

snack at around 11ish is roasted cashews or an apple with peanut butter

lunch is from the meal delivery service:
    fish and chips smoked haddock breaded with couc cous with sweet potato chips and peas with a white wine sauce 230 cals, 22g carbs, 32g protein and 3g fat

dinner is:

beef strognoff : beef strips with onion, mushrooms and brown rice 452 cals 35g carbs, 22g protein and 29g fat.

if i go to the gym ill have a health bar or protein bar (i have to be really careful with these because in general they are overly processed and full of calories and natural sugar)

i drink i ton of water and my workout schedule is
    Monday strength and condition class (tyre flipping, burpees, TRX, pushups, fly sprints, sledge running, kettlebells etc changes every week and i love it)
    Tuesday/ Thursday i run with my running club
    Friday: threadmil and weight lifting in the gym
    Saturday: Pilaties and a strength and conditioning class

wednesday nights i sit in front of the TV and chill same as Sundays bar maybe a stroll on the beach.

Best Tips:

Set a weigh in day and stick to it, i used to do each Saturday but now its every second Saturday

be kind to yourself, the weight didnt come on over night so it wont go over night, for most people its harder to lose weight than gain it.

Dont drink your calories, water water water, everything else is a waste.

everyone is an expert- do what suits you people can only advise on their own experience, the food plan i have it what worked for me, you might hate it.

hold yourself accountable- tell friends familys etc that you are doing this and be honest.

work out your BMR and how many calories you need to be eating, surprisingly alot of people trying to lose weight get to a stage where your not eating enough and plateau you need to be smart about it.

ask for help, there will be days when you will want to dive head first into a box of chocolates, remind yourself why you started and where you want to end up. tell someone you are stuggling, my best tip is i have a group chat of a VERY SELECT group of friends who know i am doing this weight lost thing and will talk me down, some will send a photo of my looking fab and say keep it you your doing amazing others will send a photo of me looking super fat and tell me how far ive come.

if you dont want to join a gym do you have friends that could go walking with you?

pm me if you want any help ive been there its really tough but if i can do it, anyone can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 clairec463

Never be afraid to join a gym! I started in one at over 250 pounds! I was so scared to go so much now I'm over 100 pounds down I'm so much fitter and I love being there! Everyone starts their journey somewhere! Best of luck with it! I know you can do this but only you can make yourself do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clairec463

I tried four gyms before I found one I liked to be honest! It was hard but I wanted to lose the weight so bad! I still have to push myself to go all the time but I know how bad I want to achieve my goals and I refused to let other people's opinions of me stop me from going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there a gym in the country these days that would want anyone 250lbs in there? Even if so, the other goers would surely hound you out in a lot of them.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Even if so, the other goers would surely hound you out in a lot of them.

Jesus. You must have been to some shi*ty gyms!

I was in a gym like that once but I find most decent gyms are populated by a lot of people who, at worst, don't care if you're there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm planning on losing weight myself. Currently I'm 140kg. I don't look it as I'm a big guy over 6ft2. But I know myself I need to lose something. I'm currently living in New Zealand and I plan on coming home to Limerick for Christmas. I won't tell anyone and just surprise my parents when I turn up.
    It's something to work for, so that when I do for home I'll be fit and healthy. I've a physical job but it's the diet that ruins me. I've got 9 months so plenty of time to get in shape. I'm focused and determined. It's gonna happen..

Join slimming world. It's so easy to follow, and loose weight. I'm almost at a loss of 4st in a year and a bit. From 15 and 1/2 stone to 11 and a half stone.

You also won't beliebe the stuff you can eat. I have a fry every morning.

1 egg, 2 toast, fried mushrooms, tomatoes, and beans, with tea.

Join slimming world. It's so easy to follow, and loose weight. I'm almost at a loss of 4st in a year and a bit. From 15 and 1/2 stone to 11 and a half stone.

This, or do it properly and learn about proper nutrition and excersise.
    You've a good few months so if I were you I'd look for a personal trainer who will also help you with nutrition as well as excersise.
    That way you'll have the tools to continue your journey after you get home.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    This, or do it properly and learn about proper nutrition and excersise.
    You've a good few months so if I were you I'd look for a personal trainer who will also help you with nutrition as well as excersise.
    That way you'll have the tools to continue your journey after you get home.

Do it properly ?? Are you implying i cheated my way to loosing weight.

Do it properly ?? Are you implying i cheated my way to loosing weight.

No.

He's implying that SW doesn't give you a proper understanding of nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I am still eating healthy and exercising more. Feeling like I have a lot more energy but got a long way to go. I plateaued the last week with weight loss and it made me want to eat bad, then I realised that would be ridiculous and my goal is not just to lose weight but get healthy.

I still need to motivated myself to get off the sofa in the evenings. After a long day and the house work is done I just want to crash but I know I should get out walking! Hopefully the better weather will help with that. Hope do you all motivate yourselves to get out in the evenings after a long day?

I am still eating healthy and exercising more. Feeling like I have a lot more energy but got a long way to go. I plateaued the last week with weight loss and it made me want to eat bad, then I realised that would be ridiculous and my goal is not just to lose weight but get healthy.

I still need to motivated myself to get off the sofa in the evenings. After a long day and the house work is done I just want to crash but I know I should get out walking! Hopefully the better weather will help with that. Hope do you all motivate yourselves to get out in the evenings after a long day?

Knowing that doing something is better than nothing and another small step towards the overall goal.

There will be weeks where you don't get the result you want but you're making positive changes so just trust in the benefits in that.

Just keep on keeping on. It gets easier :)

Read the stinking attitude to the poster about 'doing it properly' in the posts above this one. You'll see the kind of snobbery and bad attitude that surrounds this whole area and you'll see what I'm talking about.

My post has nothing to do with your post. I was simply referring to slimming world and similar dieting organisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Build strength in the gym, loose weight in the kitchen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

i was over 280 lbs and my gym welcome'd me with open arms.

i got great support from my fellow members and do still to this day.

dont hate, appreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hmmmm that's not a fry

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hmmmm that's not a fry

Yes it is. I don't eat meat, but if I did I could still eat it.

Yes it is. I don't eat meat, but if I did I could still eat it.

You're dead right, you could. Dosent mean it's anyway healthy though

You're dead right, you could. Dosent mean it's anyway healthy though

It's free on slimming world, once it's not cooked in Oil.

Nothing is free

Nothing is free

Hate to break it to you, but it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Wait a minute, is somebody actually trying to claim that eating a big fry up for breakfast every day is healthy?

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Wait a minute, is somebody actually trying to claim that eating a big fry up for breakfast every day is healthy?

Well i have lost 4 stone by eating either that, or weetabix/branflakes with load of fruit.

• Advertisement

That still doesn't mean it's healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Well i have lost 4 stone by eating either that, or weetabix/branflakes with load of fruit.

Losing weight is one thing, being healthy is another. If all you want to do is be lighter then carry on, if you actually want to be healthy then that's not the way to go.

Let's not get carried away here. There's no need to demonise SW as it's some crazy fad. It isn't. There's a lot that is good about SW.

I wouldn't use it as a guide on proper nutrition per se and there are some strange ideas on what is 'syn free' but some of the comments here you'd swear it was Herbalife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Let's not get carried away here. There's no need to demonise SW as it's some crazy fad. It isn't. There's a lot that is good about SW.

I wouldn't use it as a guide on proper nutrition per se and there are some strange ideas on what is 'syn free' but some of the comments here you'd swear it was Herbalife.

Not a SW fan by any means but it does do one thing well which hardly ever gets mentioned which is a support network for people struggling with something that is really hard.

Knowing what to eat to be healthy and drop fat isn't that hard, doing it consistently in the long term is for most the hard bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Just to chime in on the slimming club divergence, I picked up a lot of bad habits about 6 years ago with weight watchers.
    I lost weight but didn't change any habits, just adapted them to fit their systems, so while I was lighter I was no more knowledgable about nutrition.

Since then a lot of these plans have been updated, and are more focused on healthier eating overall.

I joined unislim about two and a half years ago, for a few months and it gave me the support to keep going, and the leader was so enthusiastic about actual nutrition that it wasn't too long that I was out on my own, educating myself and addressing my overrating properly.

I still have a big of a way to go, but that's on hold now(I am pregnant), but thanks to still following a clean diet and weigt training, bump is growing steadily, scales only increased marginally.

Everyone is different, the main thing is not giving up on yourself, and if like me, it takes a few different goes to find what suits so be it.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Just to chime in on the slimming club divergence, I picked up a lot of bad habits about 6 years ago with weight watchers.
    I lost weight but didn't change any habits, just adapted them to fit their systems, so while I was lighter I was no more knowledgable about nutrition.

Since then a lot of these plans have been updated, and are more focused on healthier eating overall.

That's the thing. A lot of people rely on syns or points etc but they don't know the principles behind why some things are considered 'free' and others come with a high tariff. And that's a bit of an issue cos you have the likes of low-fat being a freebie.

They do give support and they're more about eating better in a sustainable manner, which is never a bad thing.

But educating yourself on nutrition, just bit by bit, will serve you better in the long run and probably allow you a lot more flexibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

OP - just wondering how you are getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Hi everyone just an update. I'm 17lbs down since I started eating healthier and exercising more. I'm not prefect and I eat around 1800cals somedays but I exercise everyday. Finding the step counter very motivational but it's also a bloody wake up call to how little cals we actually burn when walking. 1hr equal 200cals wouldn't even cover a mars bar. The logging in myfitnesspal is also keeping me accountable I think. I got a bit bored the last two weeks or so and started eatng processed food but staying within cals. I felt rotten even tho I still lost. It wasn't worth it as this isn't only about losing weight for me. It's about being fitter and healthier.

I really want to go to some exercise classes at my local gym but can't bring myself to go in! I feel really unfit still and just self conscience. Would it be better if I waited till I was another stone down? I am still really sweaty when I do my brisk walking although I do feel that walking further is getting easier and I do a little bit of running during my walk. Very little tho and then I stop and walk and then run again. That sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Fantastic achievement so far MrsYelnekoff! Fair play.

Love your point around feeling rotten around processed foods, the cals you consume are only part of the picture as you've said, and the quality of the food has so much to do with how you feel.

Seriously, just go for it, join a group class in your gym. Try to forget the inhibitions and the self-consciousness (I know that's easier said than done) but just walk in there and tell them your story, you're not alone in this, you'll feel self conscious for all of 20 seconds possibly,it'll pass once you're working hard surrounded by like minded people all working for the same goal, and I can only imagine it'll be the best decision you'll ever make! Working out within a group structure with a good coach leading the way and providing good quality coaching has the potential to change your life and get you fitter than you ever thought you could be. Go for it! :) and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Hi everyone just an update. I'm 17lbs down since I started eating healthier and exercising more. I'm not prefect and I eat around 1800cals somedays but I exercise everyday. Finding the step counter very motivational but it's also a bloody wake up call to how little cals we actually burn when walking. 1hr equal 200cals wouldn't even cover a mars bar. The logging in myfitnesspal is also keeping me accountable I think. I got a bit bored the last two weeks or so and started eatng processed food but staying within cals. I felt rotten even tho I still lost. It wasn't worth it as this isn't only about losing weight for me. It's about being fitter and healthier.

I really want to go to some exercise classes at my local gym but can't bring myself to go in! I feel really unfit still and just self conscience. Would it be better if I waited till I was another stone down? I am still really sweaty when I do my brisk walking although I do feel that walking further is getting easier and I do a little bit of running during my walk. Very little tho and then I stop and walk and then run again. That sort of thing.

That's brilliant well done, you must feel great about yourself. Keep going and I know it's easier said than done but don't worry about the other people in the gym you're there for you not them. You've done great I hope it continues for you , delighted to read that post

• Advertisement
Advertisement