Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very unfit, where do I start?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

JJayoo wrote:
    Interesting logic......

So you think its just a coincidence that marathon runners don't weigh much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Patww79 wrote: »
    Would something like a multi gym cover some of those and the chin-up thing? I'd be worried about posture and my back with free weight stuff.

Multigyms are terrible. To be honest free weights are very safe especially when a person approaches them with an understanding that you need to learn the movements and not to just horse into it.

And from the list I posted you would only be doing a few exercises per session.

A chin up bar (cheap in Argos) and resistance bands are also great purchases. You can loop the band around the chinup bar and use it as a lat pulldown alternative, so you would be seated or knelling and reaching up pulling the band down.

First Up wrote: »
    So you think its just a coincidence that marathon runners don't weigh much?

Being as light as humanly possible is an advantage when your entire purpose in life is to travel a certain distance as quick as possible.

You are suggesting, and please correct me if I have taken you up wrong, that running is such a good way to burn calories that a marathon runner almost couldn't eat enough food to get fat.

What about that comedian, dresses in drag alot, who ran 30 marathons in 30 days he was still chubby.

JJayoo wrote:
    You are suggesting, and please correct me if I have taken you up wrong, that running is such a good way to burn calories that a marathon runner almost couldn't eat enough food to get fat.

I'm not suggesting it. I'm pointing at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

At least the OP has the general weight loss support thread to go to...

• Advertisement

At least the OP has the general weight loss support thread to go to...

The sooner he gets away from the gym bunnies the better.

The sooner he gets away from the gym bunnies the better.

She...and she's finding her way the way that works for her.

She...and she's finding her way the way that works for her.

Good - and in spite of some of the advice here.

Good - and in spite of some of the advice here.

There's a lot of one sided advice. I've run marathons and I've spent a lot of the time in the gym in recent years.

What I find better won't necessarily work for the OP who just needs support and some help when needed.

What I find better won't necessarily work for the OP who just needs support and some help when needed.

And the worst advice is to devote yourself to one form of exercise to the exclusion of all others.

• Advertisement

And the worst advice is to devote yourself to one form of exercise to the exclusion of all others.

I don't disagree. But arguing over whether running is better than walking or whether the gym is better than cardio is less than helpful.

Ideally both would help but the best way is the way that works for the OP.

In terms of counting calories, which is the only place I addressed you, overestimating calories burned in exercise is worse than underestimating.

I don't disagree. But arguing over whether running is better than walking or whether the gym is better than cardio is less than helpful.

If you bothered to read the thread you would see that I have made no such arguments. I simply explained that calorie burn is based on distance more than speed and I challenged the poster who claimed that cardio has minimal impact on calorie burn.

The most effective and accurate measure is weight loss. If you disagree with other estimates, then stick to that one.

If you bothered to read the thread you would see that I have made no such arguments

If you bothered to read my post, you would see it wasn't directed at you.

The OP is doing well to increase their capacity to run. Exercise classes that she enjoys will also help as would some form of weight training but ultimately any exercise that is enjoyable will be one that is sustainable.

If you bothered to read my post, you would see it wasn't directed at you.

If you are not addressing posts to me, then maybe best not to quote mine in yours.

If you are not addressing posts to me, then maybe best not to quote mine in yours.

The first element was addressing you.
    Anyway, probably best to just draw a line here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Cavey wrote: »
    If the individual is new to exercise, overweight and has been living a sedentary lifestyle with bad diet, I would class any cardio (specifically walking/running/skipping) beyond what is necessary for day to day living as excessive.

I genuinely dont mean to be rude but how the hell did you qualify as a PT with advise like that? I can only assume it was one of those weekend courses spread over a few months or a year, compared to a 4 year degree in Sports Science or something.
    For losing weight, specifically fat, you simply can't beat resistance training. Would I still incorporate some light cardio to a resistance training programme? Of course I would. Although I would recommend something more low impact for an overweight, untrained individual. Swimming, rowing, cycling would all be fine.

the resistance thing is your Personal opinion , not science, spouting nonsense like that is the reason the PT world has such a terrible reputation in Ireland

Moving more and eating less is the most effective strategy for long term weight loss.

Its been proven that the effect of weight training or resistance training whatever people want to call it is dependant on your body type. Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph etc. This si something you should know if you are a qualified PT.

Calories in and calories out isnt as simple for some people
    but resistance isnt the be all and end all either.

This post has been deleted.

i have to say it depends on you,

the best things ive bought apart form running shoes are TRX cables, handy, portable and super easy to use and theres loads of youtube videos

for me ive lost most of my weight already so im all about building up strength now, my running keeps me lean and strong in the legs and ass and stomach but my arms needed work.

i hate exercise classes but i do go to some bootcamp style stuff, type flipping, battle ropes etc but its more fun than anything else (really tough but fun)

The TRX were a great buy because i can use them anywhere and do loads of different stuff with them.

Ps to the OP: my classes are :
    Monday and Saturday I do bootcamp
    Saturday morning I do Pilates before bootcamp - following on from an injury (i slipped on spilt ice cream and damaged me knee not pleasant!)
    i run three times a week Tuesday Thursday and Sundays (sundays are only if i feel like i need too other than that is a rest day like wednesdays) and chill out the rest, its a fine balance for me but i certainly wouldnt have been capable before, there are weeks when i skip a day and i listen to my body if im tired im tired and i rest. if not i workout.

It gets easier, i promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

I am absolutely done trying to get my point accross on here. My advice was specifically aimed at the OP. I do recommend she does cardio but lower impact cardio would be best as I'm thinking about their long term health (knees will thank you down the line).

My view has not changed. Her focus at the beginning should still be on the basic bodyweight movements if she wants quality results. Bodyweight exercises like Squat, pushups, planks, bridges, assisted chin-ups. For light low impact cardio, bike, swim, stepper, eliptical, rower.

I should have just posted the following information to begin with. Read the links below, you will know more than 90% of the people out there on what constitutes a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck.

Basic info on proven, effective exercise routines, diet, losing or gaining weight and supplements

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Library of exercises and proper form

http://exrx.net/Exercise.html

Sleep Guide

http://pastebin.com/3dddYgvq

The information under "Best Sleeping Positions" is questionable

I am absolutely done trying to get my point accross on here. My advice was specifically aimed at the OP. I do recommend she does cardio but lower impact cardio would be best as I'm thinking about their long term health (knees will thank you down the line).

My view has not changed. Her focus at the beginning should still be on the basic bodyweight movements if she wants quality results. Bodyweight exercises like Squat, pushups, planks, bridges, assisted chin-ups. For light low impact cardio, swim, stepper, eliptical, rower.

I should have just posted the following information to begin with. Read the links below, you will know more than 90% of the people out there on what constitutes a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck.

in general one would find that if the world is disagreeing with them that its not everyone else, that its them...

be done all you like, maybe just tell people in future that your qualifications came from collecting crisp packets and not doing a degree in sport science or nutrition or an actual real qualification from an accredited IT or University.

Obviously your entitled to your opinion but passing off your opinion as fact or even as a professional service is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

yeah like i said start off slow, god whats the wrong side of 30?!?! am i on it?!?!

i was overweight my whole life, from 13-14 years old to 28 years old.

ill never been skinny but i can be strong and lean and toned. my best day was the day my GP told me to feck the BMI that for someone just 5foot it was pointless that ive had to be 7.5 stone to be even considered on the healthy side a realistic weight for me is the 10 stone mark according to him and my Dietitian.

tone while losing weight was really important to me as i didnt want to have loads of skin left over as ti happens i do, (my arms are fine and legs are fine ,but my tummy will be getting the chop once im at goal, tis manky)
    the working I use at home- no equipment necessary barr a skipping rope and a chair is a 7 minute round its an app on my phone - the 7 minute workout, super handy i do 4-5 rounds 6 on a good day, it using body weight step ups, skipping, step ups, dips from the chair, planks etc etc,

other than that if id the money id buy a spinning bike, i love spinning and it gets me super sweaty and burning alllll those lovely fat cells away! but its each to their own i can only tell you what works for me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Dosent make sense to me that you'd burn the same calories walking 5k as opposed to a fast run for 5k
    Technically, you dont, walk and jogging are different locomotion patterns. Walking is more efficient. So it burns less per km. 'But its a small difference.
    But once you start moving a little faster, and break in a jogg, the speed you go makes no difference to the total burned, as the work done is the same. But obviously running faster gets it done quicker.

Another exception is that out right sprinting, as fast as you can, has a higher burn per distance. As its less efficient and carries a bit of afterburn
    You don't.
    Calories are energy.
    The energy of motion such as walking is translational Kinetic Energy.
    K = 0.5 x m x v(squared)
    Where m is mass and v is speed. So the faster you move, the more energy you burn.
    The faster you move the more energy you burn.
    If you move twice as fast, you burn twice as much energy.
    You also complete a given distance in half the time.
    Which means the total burned is...the same.

2 x 1/2 = 1
    That doesn't sound right. You burn roughly 100 calories per kilometer - doesn't matter if walking, jogging or sprinting.
    90-100 cals per kilometer; 150-160 per mile.
    That said. The above is incorrect. Walking vrs running aside. And the rate for jogging per km is less than 100 cals for most people. The actual amount is dependent on your size, so you can't say definitively that its 100 cals, or 80 cals or 60 cals, etc.

It conveniently around 1 calorie per Kilometre per Kilo of bodyweight.

So a 80 kilo guy burns 80 cals per km.
    A 50 kilo girl burns 50 cals per km
    To burn 100 cals, you have to be 100kg, as an estimate that's pretty high for most people.

Mellor wrote:
    That said. The above is incorrect. Walking vrs running aside. And the rate for jogging per km is less than 100 cals for most people. The actual amount is dependent on your size, so you can't say definitively that its 100 cals, or 80 cals or 60 cals, etc.

Other variables apply too - gradient, surface type, wind resistance. But I don't think 90 per k is too wide of the mark.

Mellor wrote: »
    To burn 100 cals, you have to be 100kg, as an estimate that's pretty high for most people.

unfortunately i was there, well over it in fact, wish i still had the same ability to burn at that level though hahaahahahaaa

Other variables apply too - gradient, surface type, wind resistance. But I don't think 90 per k is too wide of the mark.
    They all apply in both directions. My numbers are assuming all of those values are neutral.

You said 100cals first, 90. Both are wide of the mark if somebody wasn't 90-100kg. That's the point, it's directly proportional to bodyweight, stating that it's a blanket 90-100 cals per km is wrong for that reason.

For me its 75 cals a km, or close enough that makes no difference.

They all apply in both directions. My numbers are assuming all of those values are neutral.

You said 100cals first, 90. Both are wide of the mark if somebody wasn't 90-100kg. That's the point, it's directly proportional to bodyweight, stating that it's a blanket 90-100 cals per km is wrong for that reason.

For me its 75 cals a km, or close enough that makes no difference.

We are talking about somebody who admits to being heavier than they would like so the 90 -100kg range is likely to be relevant.

It isn't really the point: I am encouraging the OP to cover ground, be it walking, jogging or running flat out. The more ground they cover at whatever pace, the more calories they will burn and the more weight they will shed. For a heretofore sedentary person, walking mixed with spells of jogging is probably the most prudent approach but a cross trainer would help too.

in general one would find that if the world is disagreeing with them that its not everyone else, that its them...

be done all you like, maybe just tell people in future that your qualifications came from collecting crisp packets and not doing a degree in sport science or nutrition or an actual real qualification from an accredited IT or University.

Obviously your entitled to your opinion but passing off your opinion as fact or even as a professional service is dangerous.

I hold a valid Royal Life Saving Society certificate, QQI Level 5 Award in Sport & Recreation, ITEC Diploma in Gym Instruction, ITEC Certicate in Excercise to music, QQI level 6 award in Sports Development and an ITEC diploma in Personal Training and instructing strength and conditioning sessions. I did this over 2 years.

There's no need to be so condescending and insulting either. The whole purpose of this thread was to provide useful information to the OP. That is all I set out to do.

My career is in IT anyway and I consider myself extremely lucky I don't have to work in the fitness industry. The average gym goer in Ireland would absolutely break your heart.

It is no wonder we're one of the highest rates of obesity in Europe. People won't listen to advice. Why? Because they have their own idea of what fitness and being healthy is. "Ah sure get a pair of good runners and you're good to go". Good feckin luck to yiz.

Maybe you shouldn't slate other people who are trying to be helpful when you yourself talk sh1te

tone while losing weight was really important to me as i didnt want to have loads of skin left over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Please lads give it a break?

• Advertisement

I hold a valid Royal Life Saving Society certificate, QQI Level 5 Award in Sport & Recreation, ITEC Diploma in Gym Instruction, ITEC Certicate in Excercise to music, QQI level 6 award in Sports Development and an ITEC diploma in Personal Training and instructing strength and conditioning sessions. I did this over 2 years.
    level 5's level 6's again i ask, where the degree? the science qualifiction? youve proved my point.
    It is no wonder we're one of the highest rates of obesity in Europe.

FYI Andorra has the highest rates of obese and overweight people in Europe at the moment

Turkey and Andorra share the top spot for highest levels of obesity in Europe.

Ireland is 8th.

source: http://www.euro.who.int/en/data-and-evidence/european-health-report/european-health-report-2015/ehr2015
    People won't listen to advice. Why?

because under qualified people like you spout their opinion as fact and they get confused, they see a seemingly fit and healthly person sitting behind a desk at the gym and take their word as gospel, they need Doctors, dietiations, not someone who did a FETAC/QQI level 5 which is great dont get me wrong but QQI/FETAC level 5 and 6 is honors leaving Cert and a year above... an Honors degree from a certified University it is not.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Maybe you shouldn't slate other people who are trying to be helpful when you yourself talk sh1te

how is that talking ****e? Genuinely not trying to start an argument but im not saying its fact, i needed to tone as i had alot of weight to lose and was left with excess skin because of my weight loss, the bits i toned while losing weight were okay ie arms and legs the bits i didnt are saggy and will need to be removed.

thats my experience im not saying its fact.

again i was offering my experience not saying this is fact and i am qualified to give this info, quite the opposite actually.

Lads will ye chill out please

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I am brisk walking while pushing a buggy with a 16kg toddler in it. This has to burn extra cals right? :o

Didn't have a great time food wise today. PMS is a nightmare.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm enjoying brisk walking/ little sprints at the moment. I do about 2hrs a day walking. I think that my diet is really good compared to before, lots fresh fruit and veg and portion control. I'm not looking to lose 20kg in a few weeks etc I want to change my lifestyle in a gradual way so that it's not just 'a fad or a diet' I want to improve my health mostly.

I am brisk walking while pushing a buggy with a 16kg toddler in it. This has to burn extra cals right? :o

Didn't have a great time food wise today. PMS is a nightmare.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm enjoying brisk walking/ little sprints at the moment. I do about 2hrs a day walking. I think that my diet is really good compared to before, lots fresh fruit and veg and portion control. I'm not looking to lose 20kg in a few weeks etc I want to change my lifestyle in a gradual way so that it's not just 'a fad or a diet' I want to improve my health mostly.

WELL DONE getting started is hard and maintaining is hard... keep it up!

PMS kills me but i have found that after a few months of the change of food it was less extreme...

i find peppermint tea helps with the bloating too :-)

how is that talking ****e? Genuinely not trying to start an argument but im not saying its fact, i needed to tone as i had alot of weight to lose and was left with excess skin because of my weight loss, the bits i toned while losing weight were okay ie arms and legs the bits i didnt are saggy and will need to be removed.

again i was offering my experience not saying this is fact and i am qualified to give this info, quite the opposite actually.

Lose skin is caused by a loss of skin elasticity it has absolutely nothing to do with a person not exercising a certain bodypart. You gained most bodyfat on your stomach because evolution has shown us that if your gonna carry extra weight then put it around your vital organs and center of gravity, and this is why you have lose skin, not because you skipped ab day.

Also you keep using the term 'toned', this word means nothing, I get what you think it means but it's a bullsh1t buzzword used to sell magazines.

• Advertisement

level 5's level 6's again i ask, where the degree? the science qualifiction? youve proved my point.

My certifcate in Personal Training qualifies me to give Personal Traning. I don't need a science degree for a field I'm not working in. Nor does anybody else that wants to do personal training as a career. Sure you could charge more if you had a degree but the programming won't change much on a beginner fat loss programme. It will still be a resistance based programme with light cardio added in (unless the client is a special case study like OAP, disabled).

FYI Andorra has the highest rates of obese and overweight people in Europe at the moment

Turkey and Andorra share the top spot for highest levels of obesity in Europe.

Ireland is 8th.

source: http://www.euro.who.int/en/data-and-evidence/european-health-report/european-health-report-2015/ehr2015

Guess you missed this article from the papers recently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-set-to-be-most-obese-country-in-europe-who-says-1.2201731

because under qualified people like you spout their opinion as fact and they get confused,

Again, I'm perfectly qualified to teach a client. ITEC certifications are recognised worldwide. The information I have shared is knowledge I have collected through studying course material, health & fitness books, reading articles, watching fitness videos and of course, from qualified (and very talented) Personal Trainers that taught me in college.
    they see a seemingly fit and healthly person sitting behind a desk at the gym and take their word as gospel,

Do you even read the words you type? Please explain to me how somebody "seemingly appears fit". If you can legitimately answer that, then you should keep it a secret and start selling it as a new fitness fad to all the people that want a shortcut. I can already see the commercial now.

"DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW THIS GUY APPEARS TO BE SO FIT? SIGN UP NOW AND WE WILL SHARE YOU THE SECRET!"
    they need Doctors, dietiations, not someone who did a FETAC/QQI level 5 which is great dont get me wrong but QQI/FETAC level 5 and 6 is honors leaving Cert and a year above... an Honors degree from a certified University it is not.

Yeah before a gym instructor or personal trainer takes on a new client, you have a one to one meeting in an office. You get them to fill in a PARQ form and you also refer them to a doctor before they start a new training programme.

A dietician is really unnecessary if you have a good personal trainer. My body fat is at 14% right now and I am cutting at the moment to get down to 10%. How would I not be capable to advise somebody on how I am able to do this.

Finally, you already stated earlier on in the thread that you have "a massive belly and its manky". Why should anybody follow your fitness advice? Are you qualified?

Livedadream... the dream you live is in your head mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Well done Mrs Yelnekoff!

You can get boggled by all the stuff being put out here, and unfortunately these forums can get derailed at times by a bit of 'measuring' that goes on. But I think someone said it earlier, a good start is to move more.
    It's all about making small incremental changes in your lifestyle. That will give you better long term benefits and ensure you are changing old habits etc, not just papering over bad habits with a 'regime', 'fad' etc.

Bloody good on you! Absolutely love hearing stories like this, so keep us up to date.

You mightn't be ready to go into a gym just yet, but it will happen when YOU are ready, so just stay the course. You're doing great! :)

His point was that what you are describing isn't something that exists. You can't tone skin or muscle. People who have a muscle definition and are generally described as "tones:, simply have low bodyfat. If you have excess skin on your stomach you can't can't tone it with exercise.

I think it very dismissive to refuse to believe anyone who doesn't have a degree or a science qualification. A higher qualification doesn't mean what you are saying is better or even correct either.
    A lot of doctors are routinely handing out terrible advice in this field, the stuff that was believed in the 80 that is now mostly disregarded. It's a small part of the their training and if they qualified 30 years ago, they may or may not have kept up to date. Of course some have, but the our understand of science is changing all the time. That's why we have GP and specialists.
    my best day was the day my GP told me to feck the BMI that for someone just 5foot it was pointless that ive had to be 7.5 stone to be even considered on the healthy side a realistic weight for me is the 10 stone mark according to him and my Dietitian.
    As an example, your doctor above was mistaken about your BMI. It takes into account height.
    For somebody who is 5 foot, a weight of 9st2lbs has you within the healthy range. Nowhere near the 7.5st he told you BMI said you needed.
    I don't need a degree to say he is wrong, its a pretty basic mathematically calculation, secondary school stuff. He prob had a simply typo, but if he was familar with it he might have spotted it. my GF is 5ft also, so I had an idea what BMI suggest at that height.

BMI has severe limitations, and its actually not intended for individuals. But it's a starting point, not a definitive guide.

yes the news papers are quoting the report i used as my source, in future try reading beyond the headlines and try reading the actual report.

Again, I'm perfectly qualified to teach a client. ITEC certifications are recognised worldwide.

again read my point i said you were underqualified not unqualified.

Do you even read the words you type? Please explain to me how somebody "seemingly appears fit".

there is a girl in my gym posts constantly about counting her macros geting balance healthy meals etc etc is slim, lean, healthy looking, however is fighting a massive battle against an eating disorder, your health is based on your insides not your outsides. skinny fat etc
    A dietician is really unnecessary if you have a good personal trainer. My body fat is at 14% right now and I am cutting at the moment to get down to 10%. How would I not be capable to advise somebody on how I am able to do this.

again i never said it was necessary i said it is preferable to some of the nonsense spouted by PTs across gyms in Ireland there is little to no regulation currently barr REPS ireland.
    Finally, you already stated earlier on in the thread that you have "a massive belly and its manky". Why should anybody follow your fitness advice? Are you qualified?

insult away, im not offering fitness advice as a professional or self proclaimed expert, as ive said over and over again i can only talk from my experience which is dropping a significant amount of weight, i am currently dealing with excess skin on my stomach due to the weight loss.

Im not qualified to give advise in anything over than employment law and HR'y things but i can offer the OP my experience which is starting something very difficult and maintaining it. dropping from 14% to 10% body fat is no easy feat either, and its hard (not something i feel i would ever be able or want to do but different strokes) dropping from 127kgs to just over 82kg is my experience, i was offering my experiences thats all, attack all you like but to be clear, thank christ your not a practising PT because a bit of empathy wouldnt go a miss to us fatties.

to sum up i would always chose a professional with recognised and accredited qualifications over someone in an unregulated industry. ie dietitian over PT giving nutritional advice.

• Advertisement

His point was that what you are describing isn't something that exists. You can't tone skin or muscle. People who have a muscle definition and are generally described as "tones:, simply have low bodyfat. If you have excess skin on your stomach you can't can't tone it with exercise.

sorry i dont think i was clear, when i say tone i meant the skin tone maybe Skin elasticity? not muscle, to avoid the flabby dead skin that i currently have, i was informed it can be avoidable but its difficult, to avoid the excess skin that is. i am younger so was told bounce back of the skin was possible my thighs for example are grand no baggy skin, my arms are okay too even my boobs however my stomach is like a wrinkly handbag, ill get it chopped hopefully when i hit my goal and maintain for a while but until then i know that no amount of sit ups or core strength will sort it its just going to be super rock hard when the skin is gone :-)
    I think it very dismissive to refuse to believe anyone who doesn't have a degree or a science qualification. A higher qualification doesn't mean what you are saying is better or even correct either.

i completely agree however like i said in my last post the industry in Ireland is practically unregulated which does make it dangerous for someone with no knowledge to offer advise to someone who believes they are talking to a professional. I totally accept that there are some amazing PT's out there and that qualification do not the professional make, however i would still prefer someone with good experience and solid qualifications.

As an example, your doctor above was mistaken about your BMI. It takes into account height.

again sorry i know this and he did explain it, i know its height and weight but he said that BMI is in general for average people with average proportions. that it does have limitations. I am under 5 foot. only by a bit but the maths wasnt working in my favour lets put it that way.

he also measured my waist as I carried alot of belly fat and did the calipers? might be spelling that wrong to get my body fat (which was terrifying).

he explained as you did that a weight of 10 stone give or take a few pounds would satisfy him, in terms of my weight issues.

however on the BMI charts the green bit (ie normal range) was significantly lower and i was panicking thinking i would have to be in that range
    BMI has severe limitations, and its actually not intended for individuals. But it's a starting point, not a definitive guide.

this is pretty much the same as my GP its not the be all and end all, while im not a body builder or a midget getting healthy was the first option he said worry about getting out of the triple digit kgs and move on from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Can we stop the off topic bickering please? You were asked once politely by Bluewolf, that should have been enough.

It stops now, it's of no use to the OP. Any more and there will be cards!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement