Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What phone to buy?

• 20-03-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on moving from Three to either meteor or Vodafone prepay. I will either buy a phone from one of those companies or else buy a sim free phone and buy a sim from one of the above companies

Would have a budget around €250

My main use is Internet browsing so would like a screen with good quality clear display

The apps I use most are Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, what's app

Would like a good quality camera as I like to use my phone for taking quite a few photos

For reference my current phone is an iPhone 4 which I've on the go for over 5 years

All recommendations welcome?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Any preference or experience with windows 10 or android os?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭big_drive

No the only smartphone I've owned has been the iphone 4
    Before that I'd a regular old style nokia

So I'm open to trying anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

big_drive wrote: »
    No the only smartphone I've owned has been the iphone 4
    Before that I'd a regular old style nokia

So I'm open to trying anything?

Good decision to leave Apple & Three. Apple products are pure robbery, and Three's network is totally dysfunctional since their disastrous merger with O2. I wouldn't recommend Windows phones because of the lack of many popular apps for them. There is a great selection of Android phones - but this one is well within your budget at €199 and includes 2GB of RAM and Sony are recognized for their high quality of cameras.

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/sony-xperia-m4-aqua

Give Android a few weeks to get used to if you are familiar with Apple. It can do almost everything that IOS can do, and a lot more - but don't expect everything to be just the same as you are used to.

Thanks for that.
    That phone doesn't seem to get a great review from users though so I suppose I'd be slightly concerned at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

OnePlus X indeed, maybe the Huawei P8 lite (im also looking into that one for my girlfriend).

In ireland it costs around 200 euros but in belfast its 89 gbp, + unlock it somewhere for 10 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Vodafone smart ultra 6 is still a good option

I think in more confused than ever haha!!! But thanks for the advice guys

Would Lumia 550 be any good?

On €99 on Vodafone prepay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Sorry to jump in here but I am also looking for a sim free phone, have been using android for a few years so will probably stick with that. My budget is probably under 200euro, I am relatively new to smartphones so just need it for calls and texting, with a few apps for sports news, racing results, general news and financial news. Was looking at a Samsung galaxy core prime from argos but I am open to any suggestions as the whole thing is a minefield for me. I would also like a screen under 5". Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement