Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babbling to talking

Options
  • 20-03-2016 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time Mom of a 14 month old and I know I'm probably being a crazy worrier on this but you know what its like. The thought popped into my head and now won't go. Baby is a babbler and has been for ages. I mean literally from dawn to dusk. My childminder who has been minding kids for 16 years says she's never had anyone talk so much. However he really doesn't have any defined words at all. Mama and Dada sort of but thats it. He understands loads, all his teddy names, bottles, rooms, clothes, people etc but no words of his own. Developmentally he is grand, walking etc, no hearing problems at all.
    Should I be getting worried? I read/hear of all of these 14 month olds who have 5-20 words when we have maybe two. And thats at a push. Is there anything I should be doing? I narrate his day to him already and I answer him when he "talks" to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've a 22mt old, says Ball, Kick, Food, Dog, Cat, Mamma, Da, oh O and loads of stuff we haven't a clue what he's saying.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest. Everything is a ball in our house, if it's round it's a ball, if you can drink out of it, it's a bah.

It'll all come in time, they all seem to love balls and bottles, start with the 2 of them and the rest will follow.

I know a kid a few weeks younger that can sing songs but he isn't half as good at throwing ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah no, 14 months and he's like that, I wouldn't worry too much yet.The words just start pouring out kind of in leaps and bounds.I was just watching videos of our little one at about the same age and she was like yours....a babbler...but there were no specific words at that point other than mama and dada and sounds that represented the odd familiar item.

She's 21 months now and I can't get her to stop talking.Ever.Worse, she's repeating my own phrases back at me.But the words came out gradually over the last few months(and she's probably a bit ahead of herself).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah no, 14 months and he's like that, I wouldn't worry too much yet.The words just start pouring out kind of in leaps and bounds.I was just watching videos of our little one at about the same age and she was like yours....a babbler...but there were no specific words at that point other than mama and dada and sounds that represented the odd familiar item.

She's 21 months now and I can't get her to stop talking.Ever.Worse, she's repeating my own phrases back at me.But the words came out gradually over the last few months(and she's probably a bit ahead of herself).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He is 14 months don't worry.
    I have 4 and they all spoke and walked when they are ready.
    My eldest was a fluent speaker at 18 months,her next sister wasn't.
    My 22 month old is very understandable and chats from dawn until dusk but has 3 older siblings.

Advertisement