Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning architect QS Engineer

• 20-03-2016 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanting some help as Google is causing me to be more confused. My husband and I are planning to build a house. He's a carpenter and his Da a builder so can get some self build work done, what I want to know is, do I need a architect and a QS and a Engineer, or can I buy a house plan of the Internet and then get a QS to deal with the planning, etc? Also we are looking to get a mobile home to live on the site while the house is built, what kind of planning permission do I need for this? Sorry for all the questions my hubby came to Australia 6 years ago so knows the rules and laws will have changed, but we are moving back very soon to live so would prefer to build then rent.
    thankyou in advance for any help and advice you can give, and sorry if these questions seem silly!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Need planning for the caravan, maybe possible to get temp planning while main house is under construction. A pre planning app might answer that.

The problem with buying plans on the net is wondering if they meet our Irish building regulations.

Who will supervise the works and certify the completion?
    Will it be mortgaged or funded through your own savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bettyob

The plans I was looking at was on a site called -snip- there are others like -snip- as well, but the house I like most is on plan a home.

The site itself will be cash but then we'll need a mortgage for most of the build.

My husband and his Da would supervise the works, but I've been reading this site over the weekend and see that self builds are hard to get someone to certify the completion. So not sure what the steps are from there. Every time I Google, I get conflicting answers about it all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Contact 3 local architects and get quotes.

Advertisement