Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like living in Portlaoise?

Options
  • 20-03-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

My wife and I would like to move out of Dublin to somewhere a bit cheaper. We don't really want to pay rent in Dublin as it is just too expensive. We were recommended Portlaoise and were wondering what other people thought about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Laois forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

I moved here 9 months ago from Dublin, and I love it. It's a great little town, has a good variety of shops, the transport is well connected to Dublin. I find the people very friendly in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Moved down last year as well for the same reason as yourselves (didn't see the point in paying stupid rents just to be close to work) and it's a grand town. Has a big Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, and the usual assortment of pubs and the rest. UPC/Virgin serves part of the town and you have eircom/Sky Fibre availability as well. It's about 5 minutes drive to the motorway (multiple exits serving the town) and off-peak you'd get to Dublin in just under an hour by car.

BUT... if you do need to be in Dublin for work be aware that the traffic is heavy at peaks and there's frequent accidents on the M7 around the M9/Carlow merge that cause big delays. Getting home on Friday will take hours if you're doing it at peak times.
    You'll pay significantly more in fuel and wear and tear items like tyres and servicing so factor that into your costs as well and if you have to cross the M50 toll that'll add up too... all told I'm not really saving anything, but I have a bigger/cheaper place for less than half what I'd be paying in Dublin, and it suits me as I have flexible hours and can work from home so can skip the worst of the traffic. Also it's about halfway between my job and my son so that is a plus for me too.

If you're using public transport it's well connected with buses and a rail line but again this will add more commuting time to your day. Personally if you're going to have to still be in Dublin I could really only suggest it if you have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Moved down last year as well for the same reason as yourselves (didn't see the point in paying stupid rents just to be close to work) and it's a grand town. Has a big Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, and the usual assortment of pubs and the rest. UPC/Virgin serves part of the town and you have eircom/Sky Fibre availability as well. It's about 5 minutes drive to the motorway (multiple exits serving the town) and off-peak you'd get to Dublin in just under an hour by car.

BUT... if you do need to be in Dublin for work be aware that the traffic is heavy at peaks and there's frequent accidents on the M7 around the M9/Carlow merge that cause big delays. Getting home on Friday will take hours if you're doing it at peak times.
    You'll pay significantly more in fuel and wear and tear items like tyres and servicing so factor that into your costs as well and if you have to cross the M50 toll that'll add up too... all told I'm not really saving anything, but I have a bigger/cheaper place for less than half what I'd be paying in Dublin, and it suits me as I have flexible hours and can work from home so can skip the worst of the traffic. Also it's about halfway between my job and my son so that is a plus for me too.

If you're using public transport it's well connected with buses and a rail line but again this will add more commuting time to your day. Personally if you're going to have to still be in Dublin I could really only suggest it if you have a car.

I only have to go into work once a week really so not worried about commuting.

Thank you!

Advertisement