Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likely Exchange Rate Fluctuations?

Options
  • 20-03-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I'll be off to Australia in summer time for quite a while and I'm aware the exchange rate has been quite good the last year or so. I've been monitoring it the last while and the euro has been fluctuating between 1.45 and 1.60 ausd in that period. It's around 1.48 currently. I'm worried that ECB quantitative easing is going to worsen the exchange rate over the next couple of months so I'd like to hear what people's opinions are on likely changes in the rate, and reasons why that would be the case.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The effects of QE would already be factored into the exchange rate. The exchange rate will only make significant changes if something unexpected happens. If the ECB were to engage in a policy referred to as helicopter money (printing money and giving it to normal people) then the Euro would lose value. If exports were to increase sharply then the Euro would strengthen.

It would only be guesswork on my part to say what direction the exchange rate is going to go. Purchasing the currency over a period of time would probably be the safest option. Perhaps purchasing half now and half just before you go.

Advertisement