Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Laptop bought with issue on currys

Options
  • 20-03-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am having the following issue with currys

-bough acer laptop testerday after opening the laptop noticed defect of screen bleding on the top right corner. Just noticed on low light conditions.
    -closed laptop on the box in order to proceed to return.
    -the store failed to simulate the low light condition on which the screen bleeding is seen due to lack of low light conditons in the store. A big store like currys/pcworld should know that the type of issues are only seen in low light conditions.
    -Shown picture of the screen and the manager refused to accept. Only accept videos.
    -Store did NOT followed the European rule of 14 days! Store manager just focused on the sentence on the bottom of the recepit. Is receipt over the european rule? Store manager says the european rule only applies to web sales. Manager refused to follow European rule saying that there were not defect. Not followed European rule again, there is no need to have a defect.
    -After accept sending the laptop for warranty, the manager say that i should pay for the transport if it was not warranty case.
    -came back to home with 900 euro defective laptop.

I am not from Ireland. So I am not aware of my rights. How should I proceed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

your easiest way is probably take a video of the issue.
    if they refuse then you will have to go down the legal route

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It sounds like the European law you are referring to is the distance selling rules which allow you to return something you don't want up to 14 days after receiving it. If so, these rules do only apply to web sales and sales over the phone. They don't apply to sales that take place in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

It sounds like the European law you are referring to is the distance selling rules which allow you to return something you don't want up to 14 days after receiving it. If so, these rules do only apply to web sales and sales over the phone. They don't apply to sales that take place in a shop.

I had to open the box and turn on the laptop to see the defect. The note on the receipt says that they only accept unnopped boxes.
    The European 14 day does not apply to fisical stores in the european union?

your easiest way is probably take a video of the issue.
    if they refuse then you will have to go down the legal route
    I will try that. But I am afraid that will be very bad quality due to the light conditions.

coylemj wrote: »
    900 euro for an Acer laptop :confused:
    Had a gift card to use and needed a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In that price zone (you said you spent €900), you should have gone the extra €149 and bought a Macbook Pro for €1,049.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Contact Currys head office and ask them how to proceed. Check website for an email address. If you can photograph/video the issue and email the proof of the problem.

coylemj wrote: »
    In that price zone (you said you spent €900), you should have gone the extra €149 and bought a Macbook Pro for €1,049.

At this moment is has very happy if they let me pay the difference.
    Just made a quick search about currys store feedback, and is very bad..boll***s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Halflifept wrote: »
    I had to open the box and turn on the laptop to see the defect. The note on the receipt says that they only accept unnopped boxes.
    The European 14 day does not apply to fisical stores in the european union?

The only eu law I know of that allows you to return a product within 14 days is the distance selling law and that doesn't apply to physical stores. So in this case the store is correct.

The bit on the receipt that mentions unopened boxes relates to change of mind and not faulty products. If it's faulty within 14 days they will return it for you (it might actually be a bit longer with Currys,I can't remember). You have to demonstrate it being faulty though. Depending on how bad the light bleed is it may not be considered a fault. It's not something as clear cut as it not turning on. A certain amount of light bleed might be considered acceptable and just how the product works. Same as if you considered the speaker quality to not be good or loud enough. It may be a fault, it may be just how the product works.

There is clear screen bleeding on the top right edge. It not massive...but for me is enought to be disturbed lets say, while watching a movie on wide screen with top black bars.
    For sure it is a defect, but I am not sure if is enought to be considered as fault.
    I think it should be OK for a cheap laptop.

I've taken a picture, but I cannot post here as I am a new user.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Take a video and bring it in.

I bought a laptop for half that price at Christmas for my OHs daughter.

Three days later the power switch failed.

They provided a replacement, no questions asked.

I have managed to get some "quality" video and uploaded to youtube.

Is this ok? Or do I have reason to complain about it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭JamBur

In my opinion that's not enough bleed to warrant a refund. Although I'm surprised they won't exchange it for you. I've found PC World to be easy to deal with over the years.
    I have managed to get some "quality" video and uploaded to youtube.

/watch?v=t5Q02UEX0FM

Is this ok? Or do I have reason to complain about it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had less bleed replaced by apple on an ipad2 a few years ago.

This was with apple direct.

Would ACER fix / replace it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

900Euro? What's the model number? I'd like to look at the specs. Is it a touch screen, i7 and have an ssd?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're abysmal for returns, store managers must be trained to fight tooth and nail for everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ED E wrote: »
    They're abysmal for returns, store managers must be trained to fight tooth and nail for everything.

Not my experience at all

ED E wrote: »

For such a big firm I wasn't expecting this kind strategy. That's the wrong way to deal with your costumers. I don't see a bright future.
    Stheno wrote: »
    Not my experience at all

In my case I think its more a matter of luck. If I get a manager which is able to understand my issue and acknowledge is as a "defect" and not as a "feature"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is it bleed or dead pixel, I cant see the video? Generally if the screen bleeds its an indication of some form of physical damage, not saying it was you but in transit or warehouse. Can you put up a photo

Problem solved.
    Went to another currys and received a completeley different service quality.

• Advertisement

Problem solved.
    Went to another currys and received a completeley different service quality.

So did you get a refund/replacement?

So did you get a refund/replacement?
    Yes. As you told before, just explained the issue and they replaced without any questions.

Yes. As you told before, just explained the issue and they replaced without any questions.

There you go, great result, have you tested the new machine to check it doesn't have the same issue?

There you go, great result, have you tested the new machine to check it doesn't have the same issue?
    Sorry mispeled there. I was afraid to bring home the same laptop model. Choose the refund and I will study better my options. I do not want to go through this again.

Sorry mispeled there. I was afraid to bring home the same laptop model. Choose the refund and I will study better my options. I do not want to go through this again.

well you got a result you were happy with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You should draft an email to the head offices explaining the difference in customer service in both stores. The dope in the first store maybe needs reminding on what customer service is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Customer service went downhill the day Declan Ronayne left the company. As evident here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Customer service went downhill the day Declan Ronayne left the company. As evident here

Declan was a really nice guy. See he's running woodies now

Advertisement