Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have electricity with Electric Ireland, want to add gas

Options
  • 20-03-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I hope you can help me with this question. I have an electricity account with Electric Ireland. My housemate had an Airtricity account for the gas, but she's closed that account as she has moved out. We can't just change the name on Airtricity, we need to open a new account entirely and for that they require a deposit of 200e.

My housemates and I can't afford that right now, so I thought it might be easiest if I put gas on the Electric Ireland account as well. As I'm an existing customer, would that be straightforward enough? Is there any particular gas + electricity plan I should switch to that would save me money?

Also, another housemate had EI for gas a few years ago and paid a flat rate of 40e per month. This time I would prefer just to pay our bills by direct deposit by estimate or meter reading, is this possible?

Lastly, what details will I need in order to set up the gas account with Electric Ireland?

Thanks for any advice you can give me, I really appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Smudge_pot,

Thanks very much for your interest in gas supply with Electric Ireland.

Yes, this could indeed be done no problem, it is very standard. You would just need to provide the gas point reference number (GPRN) of your address (found on any gas bill/gas account correspondence) and the starting meter-reading (this would be the meter-reading your housemate provided to close her gas account with the previous supplier).

There is indeed a discounts offer for customers who have both electricity plus gas with Electric Ireland. Direct debit is required, and the discounts are: 13% off electricity units and 9% off gas units. Plus, there is a further 2% discount off the units of each for having online billing instead of postal billing.

Each fuel would be billed separately, as the electricity meters are read by ESB Networks and the gas meters are read by Gas Networks Ireland.

If a direct debit date does not suit, it can be changed to a later one no problem, once we are provided with sufficient notice.

The system of the same sum being collected for every bill is the Equaliser, which would need to be requested by the customer - the automatic default is just standard billing for the previous two months' usage every two months. If the meter is not read by ESB Networks or Gas Networks Ireland (they aim to read a meter for four out of the six annual bills - subject to meter accessibility) we can take meter-readings here on Boards.ie to correct the bill (we would need to be given sufficient notice in the case of direct debit).

You can carry out the switch online on our website's switching page.

Hope this helps - thanks again for your interest.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement