Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm wondering if I'm too old to be doing this at 32.

I also need to find a way to get a lot of pics of me taken as I feel some man selfies would make ladies think I'm vain or hiding something. I don't have the kind of friends you could trust with such a task.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FGR wrote:

You're definitely not. Think advice re relaxed pics showing not just you but something which might provoke conversation about an interest you have is good way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Nah, catfishes usually use fake photos. I've had to report four different POF profiles over the years for using my pics. Also a Facebook profile, which I can only assume was set up to give a catfish a bit more legitimacy.

I know people will say that some people don't put pics up because of their job or whatever but in my (extensive) experience, there's only one reason why people don't do it.

I've had professional athletes message me who didn't feel the need to hide their faces, so I don't accept the whole "Oh my job is very sensitive thing". You're a teacher, not working for MI5.

Well on POF I don't have a picture for a different reason. An ex of mine who attempted to assault me in a pub last year is on there and I know if he saw me and recognised me the hassling and stalking would begin again. I can do without that.

A fine man of 6'4 with a hairy face and a hairy chest who can fling me over his shoulder :p

Hate hairy chests and am not a fan of the beard trend. I like them smooth baby. But yeah basically I am looking for a less green and ripped version of the Hulk.

Silverman. wrote: »
    I know so many women that DO NOT like that type.

Exactly. I am weird in that I like a bear of a man but as hairless as possible!
    FGR wrote: »

Quit it! I am 10 years older, don't make me feel odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah now, don't be like that.

'Funny' how your last quote of me 'lost' the second 'paragraph'.

I repeat: Were you here before by any chance?

Apropos of nothing; Lose the Lynx; get back to the books. The exams are starting very, very soon....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

What's the story with women on tinder using wedding photos as their profile pic!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

But old people aren't cool. I want to be cool.

My son tells me his friends think I'm pretty cool, as old people go - that's good enough for me :cool:

And one of the cool things we old people know/remember is that once upon a time, cameras used to be able to take pictures all by themselves. You plonked them down on a table, pushed the button and ran to get in position before the ten-second-beeping stopped.

Funnily enough, my smartphone has exactly the same function. My DSLR is better - it can take a whole load of pictures all on its own. No outstretched arms and weird head postures needed. :D

When I was 15, my dad knew nothing.
    Now, at 25, I'm amazed at all he's learned in 10 years.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

Porkpie wrote: »
    I'm on plentyoffish (guy) but honestly, it seems as though every girl is an athlete and globetrotter. Nearly every profile description is the same: "I do circuit training 6 days a week. I also do pilates, yoga and boxercise. I've been to every continent in the world. My most recent trip was trekking around Bhutan. Next on the list is the Camino trail! - can't wait!" The profile pics will consist of gym selfies and pics of all these exotic locations that just make me think "how the f..k did they get the money to travel all over the world?"

My profile seems so dull in comparison. The whole thing just seems like one big competition. Sorry, just feel like a moan!

If it's any consolation a fair amount of the guys profiles are the same. And personally it's the kind of thing that I find dull so I'd be avoiding them anyway.

I guess it's the nature of the online dating because you want your profile to stand out from the others. How to do this without coming across as self obsessed? I don't know - it's a fine line.

Esel wrote: »
    When I was 15, my dad knew nothing.
    Now, at 25, I'm amazed at all he's learned in 10 years.

I had you pegged for someone much older than 25. A sage like gentleman of 44 sitting on a rock imparting riddles of wisdom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I'm meeting someone this evening

Been on a dating site a year now
    Met some lovely people

Met some very damaged and dangerous people too

Pet hates

Car selfies " possibly married "
    Wedding pics " doesn't go out much "
    Sporting challenges " fitness freak "
    Group pics with family & friends
    " am I supposed to pick which one you are ?"

Quote memes " no self opinion "

Pics skiing " no particular reason . I just hate people who ski "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

No wonder it took you a year to find someone!😉
    I jest, glad you've clicked with someone and hopefully it's onwards and upwards for you both from here on in.

No wonder it took you a year to find someone!😉
    I jest, glad you've clicked with someone and hopefully it's onwards and upwards for you both from here on in.

Thanks
    I'm just very careful
    Don't want to waste anyone's time
    I'm in my Late 40's
    And in no panic to jump into the fire after the frying pan

When u reach a certain age some people panic if they're single

Man beast
    Man beast
    Man beast
    Man beast.

:pac:

I found him! 6'5!!

Now to craft the perfect message :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd say go with sleezy.
    "Sure aren't we all the same height lying down?" And a big pervy winky emoji

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I had you pegged for someone much older than 25. A sage like gentleman of 44 sitting on a rock imparting riddles of wisdom :pac:

I think he may have been quoting one of his own offspring....without the quotes :D
    Thanks
    I'm just very careful
    Don't want to waste anyone's time
    I'm in my Late 40's
    And in no panic to jump into the fire after the frying pan

When u reach a certain age some people panic if they're single

....and when you reach a certain age looks start to become less relevant when old Chronos starts to catch up with us. There's actually a very short window across the life span when people are at their peak in terms of physical attractiveness which some of the youngest posters here will one day discover and the older the fiddle the sweeter the tune.

Shint0 wrote: »
    I think he may have been quoting one of his own offspring....without the quotes :D

....and when you reach a certain age looks start to become less relevant when old Chronos starts to catch up with us. There's actually a very short window across the life span when people are at their peak in terms of physical attractiveness which some of the youngest posters here will one day discover and the older the fiddle the sweeter the tune.

Having collected nice things
    Makes up for it

Having collected nice things
    Makes up for it

What sort of nice things?

I should have put quotation marks around that. I heard/read it years ago.

Not your ornery onager

What sort of nice things?

Lol

The kind of things people loses in divorce settlements

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

cantdecide wrote: »

Looks like a pic from a tampon advert

• Advertisement

Shint0 wrote: »
    I haven't gone to the dogs yet, but it's on my list.

"The race is not always to the swift, but that's the way to bet" - Jimmy the Greek, possibly.
    (or something close to that, like a paraphrase type of thing)

Not your ornery onager

speaking of tampons, the first one of youse to get married from this thread have got to wear this dress.

http://ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG8009008/p/YVES-SAINT-LAURENT_1718441a.jpg

It gets to a point on Tinder where the people all blur into one, because the majority just use the same kind of photo/pose/angle.

speaking of tampons, the first one of youse to get married from this thread have got to wear this dress.

http://ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG8009008/p/YVES-SAINT-LAURENT_1718441a.jpg

Sweet divine Jesus. Anyway I already have my wedding dress picked out.

#scary

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Where do ya fall on a ginger beard

I'm all about the Game of Thrones references lately on this thread. But I can't stop giggling at the thought that tomwaterford might have a ginger beard and <very mild GoT spoiler ahead>
    be like Tormund, just waiting for his Brienne :D

http://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2016/05/23034044/Screen-Shot-2016-05-23-at-10.44.05-AM-500x375.jpg

Forgot one

Profile pics from that event
    To hell and back

Or something like that

That could be anyone covered in slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

And people think "normal" wedding dresses are hard to go to the jacks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

She has 14 photos and every one of them is duckface.
    PandaX9 wrote: »
    I suppose you could look at it that that is how she sees herself as her most attractive. Which is her prerogative but kinda sad to me. It's times like these that I have the semi "arrogant" thought that I wish my friends took more photos of me when I amnt aware so maybe I would more photos to choose from that aren't selfies or group shots for online dating.

Here's a tip - If she has a boat load of pictures and they are all that ludicrous pout and not one of a natural smile/laughing then back-away slowly.
    It tells me one of 2 things, either as Panda says this is how she sees her self as most attractive, or from my experience, she simply doesn't know how to smile/laugh let go and enjoy life a little.

Another thing that bugs me on Pictures; You get to an age where you realise that a lot of the people will have kids, no worries, good to be honest and mention it upfront. But don't have pictures of them on your tinder/pof/okc profile!! It's just wrong.

Another vote against the multiple group pictures, I'm too old to play where's wally, or Wallette I guess, have at least one proper face shot ffs.

I'm no oil painting and have carefully selected pictures which I think are more flattering than others, but they are all pretty accurate, all taken in the last year, the oldest is July last year. No point pretending to be something I'm not, wastes everyone's time.

Would you really write off someone purely on the quality of her pics? I'm not talking about not finding her attractive, more the pose for the photo not being the most flattering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I think you are very short sighted about the pics guys. Absolutely understand there needing to be an attraction but writing a guy or girl off for selfies is daft. I'm deeply unphotogenic and the only flattering angle in photos is a slight duckface. In real life dates have expressed surprise that I look better than my photos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement