Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It's a cliche, but it really depends on the two people. Do they act older/younger than their age, what stage of life are they at, what are their plans for the future?

Also depends what you're looking for - the shift, a fling or a relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

La.de.da wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is the biggest age gap you'd consider for dating someone?

Or do you think I'd matters if two people really click?

I'm 35, so 10 years down 5 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm 37. I'd probably go 5 years down, 10 years up :)

But for the right 18/80 year old, who knows! :p

I've changed my mind a bit on this. I'm 34 and up until recently would have only considered my own age up to about 45. Now it doesn't matter too much. 29 to 45 is my range but I did meet a 27 yr old who I thought was pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I'm 35. I used to have a simple rule -3 [my-age] +3, but fortunately never worked :) now I'm trying to implement a rule 30+ to 40.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Oldest I've ever been with was 7 years older than me and although I'd hardly be mature for my age, there was no issue at all with the difference in age. Apart from one night during late night chats I discussed how I was 13 when he had his 21st.

I've been with a few younger but only flings. Wouldn't be into younger guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

31 here so +2 -4 would be my range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

18 - 38 has been my range so far but was chatting to a 53 year old. Bit of novelty there but don't think I will pursue anything there.

All really depends on the person, I met a 38 year old couple of months back who acted a lot younger. Conversely an 18 year old i met got on like a pensioner..

armaghlad wrote: »
    18 - 38 has been my range so far but was chatting to a 53 year old. Bit of novelty there but don't think I will pursue anything there.

All really depends on the person, I met a 38 year old couple of months back who acted a lot younger. Conversely an 18 year old i met got on like a pensioner..

What age are you armaghlad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm 35, I'd pick 26-50. 18 seems too young to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks, so at the moment, the youngest is 23. The oldest maybe being 31/32. Though, turning 30, 23 may become 24, but maybe 32 will stay at 32. I do know some lads that are well into their 30s or very early 40s, who are with girls in their late 20s, but I feel that maybe 21/22 is a bit young at my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I'm early/mid 40's and my range is normally from bottom end 37 (no lower than 35) to the top end is either 47 or 48.
    I don't have kids so I tend to click more with people in their 30's. I was chatting to someone the same age as me who had 3 grown up kids, I found it quite odd, I genuinely know nobody in my peer group who has kids that old, I think the oldest kid of any of my friends is 15/16 and that's from a couple who are both a bit older than me.
    Also, probably the best 2 online dates I've had have been with people in their late 30's so that's influenced my thinking.
    Maturity and stage in life can be quite different to someones age though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Interesting reading.

I'm 32. I've never dated younger than me. Always tend to go for and be attracted to older men. Last man I met was 43.we had loads common.
    Maybe I should give the younger lads a chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I'm 34, No younger than 2 years for me and up to about 44. :)
    Defo attracted to older men too la.de.da.
    More on the same level also!

What age are you armaghlad?
    28!

Interesting reading.

I'm 32. I've never dated younger than me. Always tend to go for and be attracted to older men. Last man I met was 43.we had loads common.
    Maybe I should give the younger lads a chance :D
    Sure gimme a shout :pac:

I know a girl who is 20 (looks even younger) who goes for older men. She dated a few in their late 30s, one bought her expensive concert tickets and turned out to be married with 3 kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm 34. My husband was a year younger than me and my last boyfriend was almost 5 years younger. Make of that what you will!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm 34. My husband was a year younger than me and my last boyfriend was almost 5 years younger. Make of that what you will!
    Would you push the boat out to 6? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm almost 34 and my last bf was 30. So far that's the youngest I've dated. I seem to be getting a bit Mrs. Robinson recently though.

I'd probably go up to about 40, but it would depend on the guy. Was out last week with a fella a couple of years older than me and he looked pretty rough, but I also know men pushing 50 who look 10 years younger.

Put it's definitely all about attitude and personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Same as that. There's not many photos of me, because I just can't be arsed taking ones of myself and usually am too busy getting involved to get others to take ones of me. There's far better things to be doing, tbh.
    maudgonner wrote: »
    But that's just me, my Facebook page is very sparse but it's not because I don't do anything or go anywhere. :)

I'm the same. I only have about 7 or 8 photos on my facebook page and none of them are selfies or group photos. I've had photos taken of me on nights out but I don't have any of them myself and I haven't seen them posted online. Someone once took a photo of me half naked getting handcuffed to a table by a bunch of whores on a hen night. I hope to jasus that's not online.

• Advertisement

Meeting people in real life is in my experience a better experience. For me there is nothing like real world interaction.

However it's not always easy to do this. I mean not everyone is going to approach a man or a woman and strike up a conversation. Also chatting online can facilitate those who are quite nervous about joining clubs and the like.

We are all unique. Online dating offers a different way of meeting others and hopefully finding what it is you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Don't want to drag onto a different topic but asking people out here is very different to the culture I experienced in the US or on the continent where you can ask a person out on the street without them thinking you're some stalker/killer. Not that I would blame them mind as it's not really the Irish thing to do or expect.

And back on topic - I'd like to meet a lady in the 24 - 31 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I would encourage people to meet people in real life, I think its a much more fulfilling experience and generally just good for you.

Something I want to work on when my exams are done. I'm not anti-social, yet wouldn't be out every weekend, say. My confidence has probably increased over the last while, so could be brave enough to chat someone up or even just to engage in conversation with her and take things from there. I think it was being shy of that before, and perhaps not being out that often, that made me try online dating.

After things being unsuccessful after two dates with someone from online earlier in the year, my confidence took a bit of a hit, despite it having improved. She was the first and only one I dated from online, having been on the sites on and off for a couple of years. But, although I still go with the online thing, I think my eyes have been opened following that experience in that I realise that I need to do more to get myself out there. At least chatting to someone in person first can give a better idea of what they're like, rather than chatting first online. Then again, it's a bonus if you know the person already, really hit it off and for things to go somewhere in the end, even if it takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

35 here and don't think I would stray out of 30s although I am texting a girl I work with who's 25. Have never had a relationship more than a year older or two years younger.

40 is a mental barrier and 29 means I'll have to get her something really nice for her next birthday ;)

Collie D wrote: »
    35 here and don't think I would stray out of 30s although I am texting a girl I work with who's 25. Have never had a relationship more than a year older or two years younger.

40 is a mental barrier and 29 means I'll have to get her something really nice for her next birthday ;)

Gosh 25 is young. All I wanted was the ride at that age.
    I'm 34 now and, well, nevemind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

To be honest I've met a couple of very nice girls online, but it simply followed from meeting in chatrooms and then exchanging messages outside the chatroom after that...ie neither of us were there looking for a partner specifically, it was just a happy coincidence that it happened to work out that way.

On the other hand, specific online dating has been an unmitigated disaster for me. On sites like POF I've just had messers and girls that weren't my type at all physically, that express interest - or alternatively meeting up and experiencing a nasty shock when said ladies appear looking nothing like their photos.

Tinder has been even worse, I only get decent matches when I travel away from Western Europe and then they are just girls who want money for one thing or another. Here I can't remember the last time I matched with anyone I genuinely found attractive. And yet you hear all these stories about how Tinder is a fertile hunting ground for men, well I can assure you - it certainly isn't for me.

Of course you may assume from the above that I am ugly and/or going for girls out of my league. Or at the very least not at all photogenic. Well these things may be true, but I have had what I would call very attractive girls who have gone out with me or shown interest in the past, so I am assuming I have something that they find appealing.

Plus in work most of the more attractive girls seem to like me, or at least enjoy my company. It is always hard dating them however, as many naturally enough already have boyfriends, or don't want to go out with someone from the office. Alternatively you have those that don't fall into either of the latter categories, but simply by dint of their good looks have a lot of offers and therefore you always get the impression that although they may like you, they are still considering other possibilities and you may not be top of the list. Therefore they tend to be very vague when you ask them out: "Hmmm not this week, maybe next week, I'll see" etc.

Moreover, I find pubs/clubs a little superficial with all the drink taken, so not really my cup of tea (no pun intended) either.

But anyway, I'm not a fan of online dating really. So many things are missing from the human perspective that you miss out on talking over the internet, even if your communication goes on for several years. In my opinion, there's nothing better than looking into a woman's eyes with whom you really connect with and knowing that she feels as good as you do.

This interaction is missing from the internet and it is simply impossible to build physical chemistry there. Which is why although I can see why the web is appealing for those who are a bit shy or awkward in real life, it is no substitute for talking to someone who is physically a few centimetres away from you, as opposed to perhaps a few kilometres, or even a few countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Anything up to a 10 year age gap is fine for me. It seems to be more common for a man to date a younger woman than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Gosh 25 is young. All I wanted was the ride at that age.
    I'm 34 now and, well, nevemind :p

It is but I have a laugh with her and I know she's interested. Physically she's definitely my type and I have kind of fancied her from day one, even when we were both seeing someone else. Usually the age would be the barrier but now it's the fact we work too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OnTheCouch wrote:
    But anyway, I'm not a fan of online dating really. So many things are missing from the human perspective that you miss out on talking over the internet, even if your communication goes on for several years.

People communicating for several years aren't online dating, they're ePenpals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Approaching 33 soon and I'd probably date a female anywhere from 25 - 39. All my past relationships were with older women, but there wouldn't have been a whole lot in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement