Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

I've been trying online dating for years, on and off, with little success. In the last year or so, Tinder got me a few dates but it never went beyond that. I'm a very nice person but can be very shy in public and maybe come across as a little bit odd. I took a break after going on about 3 or 4 dates in the space of a month. It wasn't doing my confidence any good at the time.

However, I went back on Tinder about 3 months ago. Got chatting to new people and wasn't too sure where it was all going. But, something strange happened. I matched with a woman who it said was 188 kilometres away, despite me having my radius set to 40. I said "feck it, what have I to lose?" and got chatting to her. We're getting on incredibly well and the distance isn't too much of a problem. There's a 6 year age gap but that's nothing really.

For the first time in my life, I can actually say (and mean it) that I have a girlfriend. :) And it feels great. I'm so comfortable with her, and her with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

Thrilled for you karsini, long may it continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

To the poster who said they only match on Tinder when away I agree although haven't been asked for money.

Have been on Tinder about a year (on and off) and get very few matches in Dublin. Was in Cork the other day and started swiping for first time in a while. Three matches in less than five minutes although only one has responded. I doubt I'd get that in a week at home. The same when I used it in Warsaw..probably about ten matches in an hour.

Dublin women obviously don't like the look of me. Further to that, the one Dublin match I am still in regular contact with is Brazilian.

Collie D wrote: »
    To the poster who said they only match on Tinder when away I agree although haven't been asked for money.

Have been on Tinder about a year (on and off) and get very few matches in Dublin. Was in Cork the other day and started swiping for first time in a while. Three matches in less than five minutes although only one has responded. I doubt I'd get that in a week at home. The same when I used it in Warsaw..probably about ten matches in an hour.

Dublin women obviously don't like the look of me. Further to that, the one Dublin match I am still in regular contact with is Brazilian.
    That's one thing I should probably add... she's not Irish either.

I was in Kerry once and matched with someone there. "Do you want sex or not?" was the opener... nah I'll pass. :p Could have been anyone!

Karsini wrote: »
    That's one thing I should probably add... she's not Irish either.

I was in Kerry once and matched with someone there. "Do you want sex or not?" was the opener... nah I'll pass. :p Could have been anyone!

Delighted that you have found someone special Kars :) x

• Advertisement

Delighted that you have found someone special Kars :) x

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm 20 and youngest Id date is college age and oldest 26. For a ONS i couldn't care less what age they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

20-40 for me....I'm all about talking shtie if I'm honest :D

Though realistically probably closer to my own age preferably...If twoz for anything anyway serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Nice even number there tom ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

La.de.da wrote: »

Nothing to be got from over complicating the process....

Though this tread has be tempted to give another run at it....then after like five mins il be like too much effort...

• Advertisement

Come on you. Let's say goodbye to all those men and dates and carryon and drive in to the sunset. Thelma and Louise style.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Come on you. Let's say goodbye to all those men and dates and carryon and drive in to the sunset. Thelma and Louise style.

:p

Ssshhhhh! That's top secret. :)

We might need a few lads. To play the brad Pitt part :p

Ssshhhhh! That's top secret. :)

We might need a few lads. To play the brad Pitt part :p

I have been told I have his sex appeal.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you said arm there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I have tried online dating on a few occasions over the years with varying degrees of success

It's hard for average looking people to get dates straight off , that's not a lack of confidence thing on my behalf it's just reality.

Once I figured that out my strategy was not to take it that seriously as you could go crazy if you did, it's a fun outlet and in fairness if you snag a date out of it you can't beat the feeling of heading off to meet someone new

I had one relationship from it , awesome girl but we did not last the test of time, couple of disaster type dates and couple of fun ones too. All in all ten dates in total but fair bit time went into that .

I think it's a great innovation though , some really good nights out of it

Not on it at moment but this thread making me feel like jumping back in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The following public service announcements are brought to you by a bottle of wine and some vodka......
    Out of interest, what is the biggest age gap you'd consider for dating someone?

Or do you think I'd matters if two people really click?

I don't think it matters if you are both on the same page life wise. I am 42 but life wise am going back to my 20s. My eldest son has flown the nest, the other one is gone in a few months and I am free as a bird then. I am going travelling. So, no matter the age, if I meet someone on my travels and we click, I will enjoy it. That said, when looking for a potential partner I usually have an age range of 35 to 45. I have never been into older men so 45 is me being open to older.
    endabob1 wrote: »
    I'm early/mid 40's and my range is normally from bottom end 37 (no lower than 35) to the top end is either 47 or 48.
    I don't have kids so I tend to click more with people in their 30's. I was chatting to someone the same age as me who had 3 grown up kids, I found it quite odd, I genuinely know nobody in my peer group who has kids that old, I think the oldest kid of any of my friends is 15/16 and that's from a couple who are both a bit older than me.
    Also, probably the best 2 online dates I've had have been with people in their late 30's so that's influenced my thinking.
    Maturity and stage in life can be quite different to someones age though.

You had me intrigued until you said that you didn't click with people with kids. Dammit.
    armaghlad wrote: »
    28!

Ach dammit. Here was me hoping you were older. Hey, though am thinking you and I should meet for a coffee sometime and discuss these other boardsies and pick someone out for you.
    kylith wrote: »
    I'm almost 34 and my last bf was 30. So far that's the youngest I've dated. I seem to be getting a bit Mrs. Robinson recently though.

I'd probably go up to about 40, but it would depend on the guy. Was out last week with a fella a couple of years older than me and he looked pretty rough, but I also know men pushing 50 who look 10 years younger.

Put it's definitely all about attitude and personality.

I hear ya. I have always liked younger men, but I could do older guys if they didn't look old! I am 42 but genuinely most people think am in my early 30s so I don't think it would look right if I was with a guy who looked old.
    35 here and don't think I would stray out of 30s although I am texting a girl I work with who's 25. Have never had a relationship more than a year older or two years younger.

40 is a mental barrier and 29 means I'll have to get her something really nice for her next birthday ;)

Feck sake. Another one bites the dust. And me mad for the D. :D
    Anything up to a 10 year age gap is fine for me. It seems to be more common for a man to date a younger woman than the other way around.

You haven't met me! My last love turned 29 in February.
    Approaching 33 soon and I'd probably date a female anywhere from 25 - 39. All my past relationships were with older women, but there wouldn't have been a whole lot in it.

Sigh.
    20-40 for me....I'm all about talking shtie if I'm honest :D

Though realistically probably closer to my own age preferably...If twoz for anything anyway serious

Feck sake.....may hang up me handcuffs.
    Starokan wrote: »

It's hard for average looking people to get dates straight off , that's not a lack of confidence thing on my behalf it's just reality.

Thanks. Just ruin my night. I usually go for average looking guys though so there are probably many like me. Don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Approaching 33 soon and I'd probably date a female anywhere from 25 - 39.

Pssst! "Female" is not a noun.

Dial Hard wrote: »

Am I really tired but I don't understand this.

Sorry, Witchie...

Am I really tired but I don't understand this.

Sorry, Witchie...

You will be......*casts a spell causing erectile dysfunction*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Witchie just went through most of the lads on the thread....verbally not orally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Dial Hard wrote: »

I intend to acquire a mate before the spring sun rises!! :pac:

I'll be honest. It's times like these I realise I have low self esteem. Years of being let down I suppose. Anyone any advice or tips on how to man up and take the pain?

• Advertisement

FGR wrote: »
    I intend to acquire a mate before the spring sun rises!! :pac:

I'll be honest. I have incredible low self esteem. Years of being let down I suppose. Anyone any advice or tips on how to man up and take the pain?

Ah I can relate to this a little. I have experienced so many disappointments.

If your low self esteem is causing dating to be very difficult for you then would you take some time out? It sounds like you need to build up your inner resilience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I've been out of the game for a while now - at least four years. I really need to get back in there before I look back in ten years time wondering 'WTH were you thinking?!'. Contrary to how that sounds..I'm not actually in a hurry. I'd like to enjoy life and not hold myself back.

I've been out of the game for a while now - at least four years. I really need to get back in there before I look back in ten years time wondering 'WTH were you thinking?!'. Contrary to how that sounds..I'm not actually in a hurry. I'd like to enjoy life and not hold myself back.

Then go for it. Make the leap :)

All you need to do is tell yourself that you are the sexiest guy on the planet. Believe this and accept it without arrogance and you will be grand. Go find her. She is out there somewhere.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Witchie just went through most of the lads on the thread....verbally not orally :D

Oh and that is only my verbal talent on display.......:eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Karsini wrote: »
    For the first time in my life, I can actually say (and mean it) that I have a girlfriend. :) And it feels great. I'm so comfortable with her, and her with me.

Ahh congrats man. I remember that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Witchie wrote: »
    I don't think it matters if you are both on the same page life wise.

+1 to this. Am 30 later this year but I don't feel like I'm nearly 30. Guess my age range would be maybe 24 up to 36/37 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

Out of interest, what is the biggest age gap you'd consider for dating someone?

Or do you think I'd matters if two people really click?

When I had my online profile, I had the age gap set 24-29. I'm 25. My boyfriend (whom I met online at the start of the year) is 26, he is just a little over a year older than me.

I always think though that if I fell for someone or clicked with someone out of that gap, that would be fine too and I wouldn't just knock someone if they didn't fall within the age range. But that was the age gap I had set for my searches. I did have some older guys message me and I would chat to them no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Anyone sway to guys/gals from certain counties.?
    Some of the best dates that have I been on were with guys from Cork.Think it's their Cork charm;)
    Of course I don't rule anyone out from any county. :)

I remember talking to a guy before about this and he was telling me how he preferred women from different counties.
    At the time, I honestly thought it was bizarre but having since had more experience I get what he was talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The thing about age is, if you're a guy, you need to be somewhat wary when approaching girls depending on how old you are. If you're under 25 then anyone you approach on a night out is more than likely ok unless you're in a kiddies disco. Sometimes I'd see an attractive girl and I'd start walking over to her and then I'd be like "Whoa hold on... she looks a bit young." Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm not in my 20's anymore. I have been told I look very young for my age though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement