Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I downloaded Tinder a while ago, spent one evening on it, got 25 matches, out of those only 5 or 7 (can't remember which) were looking for a relationship, the rest all wanted casual sex/flings/FWB situations, not for me, I am not into the casual scene at all. I've since deleted it and won't be downloading it again. It was shíte.

I'm old fashioned and would prefer to meet a man in real life, I'm not really into the online dating scene at all to be honest.

I definitely wouldn't sleep with a guy on a first date, I would want to date him a few times before sleeping with him, I just wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping with a guy straight off. I'd never judge anyone for it, it just isn't for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Went on "tinder date" twice, one turned out to be a friend of my friend (geez we're in a small country :rolleyes:), the other looked nothing like on the photo so I just left immediately lol.
    Deleted the app after approx 10 days altogether.
    Just not for me.

Besides my flatmate always used this (he was the one who insisted I install it) but would always refer to those girls like "Im meeting tinder girl" - never by their names. I think it speaks for itself :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind a date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lavinia wrote: »
    Went on "tinder date" twice, one turned out to be a friend of my friend (geez we're in a small country :rolleyes:), the other looked nothing like on the photo so I just left immediately lol.
    Deleted the app after approx 10 days altogether.
    Just not for me.

Besides my flatmate always used this (he was the one who insisted I install it) but would always refer to those girls like "Im meeting tinder girl" - never by their names. I think it speaks for itself :rolleyes:

Darn it, I was thinking about giving Tinder a go. I already have incredibly low expectations of online dating so I was thinking I'm well poised to avoid disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I wouldn't mind a date now.

29th

There's one

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    29th

There's one

Ah I prefer the 30th :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Never happy :rolleyes:

Never happy :rolleyes:

Back in your box you.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Darn it, I was thinking about giving Tinder a go. I already have incredibly low expectations of online dating so I was thinking I'm well poised to avoid disappointment.

I know plenty of people who have had great fun on Tinder and met their partners there.
    My own opinion of it wasn't great but that has been changing.

Open your mind. A closed one will cut you off from so many opportunities in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Are cheaters less likely to be on tinder? I remember years ago on pof, half the people on it seemed to be married and looking for fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

29th

There's one

Huh, you amateur. Everybody knows that today, the 25th of April is the perfect date.

Are cheaters less likely to be on tinder? I remember years ago on pof, half the people on it seemed to be married and looking for fun

I don't think any of the main sites used in Ireland have a monopoly on cheaters. Okcupid and Plenty of Fish are full of them. I'm sure Tinder is no different.

I despise cheaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I wish someone nice would show up on POF and I like them and them like me and we live happily ever after! :/ :-l It gets sooooooooooooooooooo annoying and old sometimes. :rolleyes: :(

I wish someone nice would show up on POF and I like them and them like me and we live happily ever after! :/ :-l It gets sooooooooooooooooooo annoying and old sometimes. :rolleyes: :(

It'll happen when it happens Miss. Just relax about it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I'm getting married next year. Met him 2.5 years ago on POF.

It can happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

cantdecide wrote: »

Don't take one or two people's negative experiences as gospel. People are far more vocal about their bad experiences with OD than their good. I met my bf on Tinder last summer, we're now living together. At the time I wasn't really into Tinder, I preferred OkC, but used Tinder every now and again out of boredom.

I've heard of tonnes of other success stories about Tinder too. My main advice would be not to take it all too seriously, have fun with it. If you're deleting the app after a few hours just because you're not having any success, then online dating as a whole isn't for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Don't take one or two people's negative experiences as gospel. People are far more vocal about their bad experiences with OD than their good. I met my bf on Tinder last summer, we're now living together. At the time I wasn't really into Tinder, I preferred OkC, but used Tinder every now and again out of boredom.

I've heard of tonnes of other success stories about Tinder too. My main advice would be not to take it all too seriously, have fun with it. If you're deleting the app after a few hours just because you're not having any success, then online dating as a whole isn't for you.
    The experience of tinder for guys is totally different for that of women. While women may have to put up with a few unsavory comments; guys will have to put up with slim pickings, scores of which are fake profiles and a most of whom don't respond. I've had one girl write to me in the last week on tinder and that was because I accidentally super liked her...

POF for some reason I get a lot more attention and always have someone new writing to me; that said the women on pof imo are lot less attractive. It still pales into insignificance tough when you see the choice women have. They can literally take their pick from hundreds, thousands of guys, whereas guys maybe get to choose from a dozen or so each time.

So anyone new to these apps, male anyway, will probably think it's a pile of ****e and delete it after a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

armaghlad wrote: »
    the women on pof imo are lot less attractive.

I don't know why but I've always wondered why there was such a significant difference in the attractiveness of women on various dating apps/sites.

Tinder > OkCupud > PoF > Tagged

It seems to follow with employment too, Unemployment according to Tinder is about 20%, on OkC it's about the same, but on tagged it's 90%+

It also applies to weight, OkC women are heavier than tinder, PoF heavier than OkC and Tagged heavier than any of the other two combined.

Attention works in the same order too, get the most people contacting me on tagged and least on tinder. (I don't use PoF though because found out my mother was on it)

I have never read such utter crap as I have in the two above posts LOL

Essentially the best looking, employed, slimmest women are on tinder and those on others are fatter, uglier, desperate, man hunting, dole scroungers is what you're saying in a roundabout way.

I'm shocked you're single ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Essentially the best looking, employed, slimmest women are on tinder and those on others are fatter, uglier, desperate, man hunting, dole scroungers is what you're saying in a roundabout way.

Well my observation is on pof.com there seems to be a high percentage of women with; prefer not to say body type, and occupation student/ask me (dole).
    I think there is some truth in the 2 above posts then.
    Certainly in my town there are lots of unemployed single mothers on pof.com that would be considered morbidly obese by their GP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

poa wrote: »
    Well my observation is on pof.com there seems to be a high percentage of women with; prefer not to say body type, and occupation student/ask me (dole).
    Certainly in my town there are lots of unemployed single mothers on pof.com that would be considered morbidly obese by their GP.

Tbf I could see why single mothers do be on it....but could ya not just filter them out/filter out others etc??
    Used remember you could back in the day I used it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I don't think they meant it to sound as bad as that :pac:

I'm not actually single but thanks for trying to insult me :rolleyes:

How is it crap? I never said anyone was desperate, man hunting or dole scrounger. The other are almost objective relative to my personal preferences, I swipe right/like/match or whatever varation on a higher percentage of women on tinder than on any other app; I'd guess tinder is about 90% swipe right, OkC about 50% and Tagged about 10%. Sure it's judgemental but that's part of the point of online dating IMO, you don't swipe right with people you wouldnt be happy meeting.

poa wrote: »

Are these not just people you're being matched with?

The whole name your body type thing is stupid anyway. Someone could gain or lose a half stone before you meet them and look different. Also what's wrong with a student being on a dating website? That doesn't make them dole scroungers!

I saw so many beautiful women on POF and came across a lot of extremely sleezy men only looking for one thing. Interestingly enough they would have on their profile they wanted a relationship and then would message looking for a sh@g!

Swings and roundabouts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Tbf I could see why single mothers do be on it....but could ya not just filter them out/filter out others etc??
    Used remember you could back in the day I used it

Don't get me wrong, a ride is a ride.
    I have my settings to block anyone with; prefer not to say/BBW body type from messaging me.
    Sadly one cannot block by occupation type, but one can filter it when searching.
    Generally speaking; no profile picture means fat/ugly. And no occupation means dole.
    It's not all bad though, some of the single mothers on the dole are hot.
    I was signing on today myself, and it was like a parade of the finest women in my town at the dole office.
    Plenty of eye candy to pass the time while queuing to sign anyway.

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm not actually single but thanks for trying to insult me :rolleyes:

How is it crap? I never said anyone was desperate, man hunting or dole scrounger. The other are almost objective relative to my personal preferences, I swipe right/like/match or whatever varation on a higher percentage of women than on any other app. I'd guess tinder is about 90%, OkC about 50% and Tagged about 10%. Sure it's judgemental but that's part of the point of online dating IMO, you don't swipe right with people you wouldnt be happy meeting.

It's purely based on a picture. Most of which is probably a completely untrue interpretation of what the person is actually like in real life. Nobody puts up a photo of themselves at their worst!

Tinder was only coming out when I was finished on POF and at the time literally everyone was on POF so I'm not sure where your logic is coming from.

It's purely based on a picture. Most of which is probably a completely untrue interpretation of what the person is actually like in real life. Nobody puts up a photo of themselves at their worst!

Tinder was only coming out when I was finished on POF and at the time literally everyone was on POF so I'm not sure where your logic is coming from.

You're right so when someone is morbidly obese in their profile picture you know to avoid. There's a few times I've come across people and thought their main pic makes them look awful when they are actully nice in their other pictures.

I'm not sure which logic you are questioning. I haven't commented on the number of people using the sites just the probability of me swiping/maching/etc.

I'm on pof.
    I'm single, reasonable looking, not morbidly obese, have a good job, my own house and my own car.
    I don't have any kids.

The reason I'm not on tinder, is because you have to be on Facebook. And Facebook is dumb.
    Imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's why so many more people use Tinder. It requires zero effort, apart from swiping. With POF or other sites you have to register, create your account, fill in the required details about yourself, upload photos, etc. Not that it's enormously taxing but the other requires nothing from the user at all.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    You're right so when someone is morbidly obese in their profile picture you know to avoid. There's a few times I've come across people and thought their main pic makes them look awful when they are actully nice in their other pictures.

I'm not sure which logic you are questioning. I haven't commented on the number of people using the sites just the probability of me swiping/maching/etc.

My point is in relation to the statement (not just by you mind) that tinder has better looking girls and there's a theme of tinder having employed, slimmer women yadda yadda.

When in fact previous to tinder everyone was on POF that did online dating. Then people migrated over. Tinder is easy to use, little effort required, so I can see the point in it but it's less likely to result in anything lasting because it's so fickle.

That's not to say the other websites have less desirable people. It's just luck (good/bad) often who you are matched with and happen to get talking to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement