Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

wakka12 wrote: »
    As I said , women have a lot more options than men online. I would say a lot of men feel under pressure to not be clingy over bearing or creepy because generally women will find it a lot easier than a man to simply find a better date online.

I do see where you are coming from however I think that attitude will hold you back. I am quite sure that the majority of women online will not think you are creepy if you have both been chatting and you suggest meeting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I do see where you are coming from however I think that attitude will hold you back. I am quite sure that the majority of women online will not think you are creepy if you have both been chatting and you suggest meeting up.

I have a feeling wakka isn't looking to date women :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I could literally win a competition for least successful online dater of all time but what I've found in the past is that many of the women I'd message are happy to chat away but when you suggest meeting, they clam up. Whether it's been an ego boost situation or I fall into the *just a friend personality type, requesting to meet has been the end of many a message series.

*probably this, tbh. Note to self; in future, be sexy

cantdecide wrote: »
    I could literally win a competition for least successful online dater of all time but what I've found in the past is that many of the women I'd message are happy to chat away but when you suggest meeting, they clam up. Whether it's been an ego boost situation or I fall into the *just a friend personality type, requesting to meet has been the end of many a message series.

That's a shame. I have no idea why that happens.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I could literally win a competition for least successful online dater ever but what I've found in the past is that many of the women I'd message are happy to chat away but when you suggest meeting, they clam up. Whether it's been an ego boost situation or I fall into the *just a friend personality type, requesting to meet has been the end of many a message series.

Quite possible that you friend-zoned yourself.
    Make contact, establish whether or not there is a spark.....then don't dally!! No back and forth for 5 or 6 days with smalltalk...no asking how the weather is in Carlow, no asking what band she's listening to at the moment...because at that stage, you're already fcked imo.
    If after a day or 2 you feel there's any spark, that's the time to ask, otherwise she may feel you want a chat buddy and by the time you eventually ask...it's too late?

• Advertisement

That's a shame. I have no idea why that happens.

Honestly, at the risk of sounding super cynical; it often happens with new users.
    Make contact, establish whether or not there is a spark.....then don't dally!! No back and forth for 5 or 6 days with smalltalk...no asking how the weather is in Carlow, no asking what band she's listening to at the moment...because at that stage, you're already fcked imo.
    If after a day or 2 you feel there's any spark, that's the time to ask, otherwise she may feel you want a chat buddy and by the time you eventually ask...it's too late?

Agreed but I've developed my spidey senses for this and I do get my arse out of there I think there's any degree of time wasting. My rule of thumb is 2-3 days tops and then ask to meet.

Could be a number of reasons it's not working out for you, the vibe in here is relaxed and you come across well, maybe on a dating site, knowing you have 2 days to get it right you may not come across as relaxed...I could be totally off though.....could be something on your profile....smoker...doesn't want kids....likes to sacrifice goats to our satanic overlord at the full moon

Early start for me in a few hours, night all :)

Night Felix :)

Could be a number of reasons it's not working out for you, the vibe in here is relaxed and you come across well, maybe on a dating site, knowing you have 2 days to get it right you may not come across as relaxed...I could be totally off though.....could be something on your profile....smoker...doesn't want kids....likes to sacrifice goats to our satanic overlord at the full moon

Ah shur yis're lovely. Primary reason is sub-average looks and lack of compensatory bants. Every nice girl's Ma is crazy about me but those ladies are not the ones I need to impress.

Nighty night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

So what's the longest relationship you guys have been in?

17 years ... if we can include cats. :D The former MrsCR only managed 10-12ish ... how do you decide when a relationship ends?
    Would any of you guys go out alone and try to meet someone?

Every weekend, if possible, unless I really need to stay at home and mow the grass! I have an advantage in that my hobby/special interest involves going up to women and asking them to spend 3-5 minutes with me and no-one else, and they expect to be asked so there's no stigma. The problem is that flirting and inuendo is part of the "game" so it's really hard to know whether there's any serious attraction. Being a foreigner, I'm also a bit of an oddity, so again it's hard to know when someone is just curious about the how and why I've ended up in a field in the middle of nowhere!

For a while it wasn't particularly easy to go to a new venue solo, and even now it can feel a bit odd when everyone else seems to have turned up as couples or in a gang. But I'll usually just chat to a someone I recognise from a previous event (usually another solo guy) until the evening gets going; after that, no-one notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Anyone on here doing the single with kids thing? I have three young kids and my ex and I split up after a 12 year relationship. I am not necessarily looking to jump into something really serious but nor am I necessarily looking for a fling. And I am certainly not looking for someone to 'take on' my kids as their father plays a really active role. In fact I don't imagine, if I met someone, that I would introducing them to my kids for quite some time. I'm toying with the idea of online dating but it quite frankly scares the bejaysus out of me and I feel like the fact that I have kids is going to be a huge obstacle to overcome, not that I see my kids as an obstacle!

I'm 37 and am aware that there are guys my age out there who are still looking for someone to have kids with and that door is firmly closed for me as far as having any more goes, so ergo I would need to meet someone who doesn't want kids, which would be hampered by the fact that I already have them!!!

Have anyone any experience of online dating as a single parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Vel wrote: »
    I'm 37 and am aware that there are guys my age out there who are still looking for someone to have kids with and that door is firmly closed for me as far as having any more goes, so ergo I would need to meet someone who doesn't want kids, which would be hampered by the fact that I already have them!!!

Or someone who is in a similar position to yourself - has kids and doesn't want more?

I don't have kids, so can't really comment on how easy it is, but I'd imagine that as long as you're upfront about your situation and what you're looking for OD could work well. It's one advantage I think it has over 'real world' dating - you can both let each other know from the start what the parameters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Vel wrote: »
    Anyone on here doing the single with kids thing? I have three young kids and my ex and I split up after a 12 year relationship. I am not necessarily looking to jump into something really serious but nor am I necessarily looking for a fling. And I am certainly not looking for someone to 'take on' my kids as their father plays a really active role. In fact I don't imagine, if I met someone, that I would introducing them to my kids for quite some time. I'm toying with the idea of online dating but it quite frankly scares the bejaysus out of me and I feel like the fact that I have kids is going to be a huge obstacle to overcome, not that I see my kids as an obstacle!

Have anyone any experience of online dating as a single parent?

My mothers friend is split from her husband and has 5 children. She's getting married to a lovely man she met online soon , they are both 45 years old. So theres hope..

maudgonner wrote: »
    Or someone who is in a similar position to yourself - has kids and doesn't want more?

I don't have kids, so can't really comment on how easy it is, but I'd imagine that as long as you're upfront about your situation and what you're looking for OD could work well. It's one advantage I think it has over 'real world' dating - you can both let each other know from the start what the parameters are.

This is important. Just be open and honest from the very beginning Vel. It won't be every man who will be willing to date a single mam but what you need to remember is that you don't want every man, just the right one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

This 100%

If it starts getting to the "How was your day? Great weather out" stage you're finished.

Try not to converse like you would with a friend, try to converse to see if there's a spark or common mind set there. e.g. "What are you passionate about?" "Would you rather travel the world for free or win the lotto?"

Conversation that tells you about a person's motivations, attitudes, ambitions is much more interesting and ultimately useful in determining compatibility.

Ask for the date after a day or so, if you wait longer a woman will lose interest. Think about it, while you're thinking that you're being polite and taking it slow she has 10 other guys messaging her a day and 2 asking her out. You'll soon be at the back of the line.

I'm thinking of giving up on the online thing, it's such a different experience than the real world, I seem to get more attention and numbers in a single night out than I do in a month online, I must not photograph well :o:o

sozbox wrote: »
    This 100%

If it starts getting to the "How was your day? Great weather out" stage you're finished.

Try not to converse like you would with a friend, try to converse to see if there's a spark or common mind set there. e.g. "What are you passionate about?" "Would you rather travel the world for free or win the lotto?"

Conversation that tells you about a person's motivations, attitudes, ambitions is much more interesting and ultimately useful in determining compatibility.

Ask for the date after a day or so, if you wait longer a woman will lose interest. Think about it, while you're thinking that you're being polite and taking it slow she has 10 other guys messaging her a day and 2 asking her out. You'll soon be at the back of the line.

I'm thinking of giving up on the online thing, it's such a different experience than the real world, I seem to get more attention and numbers in a single night out than I do in a month online, I must not photograph well :o:o

I couldn't agree more with your post sozbox. The guy I've been chatting with has now descended in to the "how is your day" kind of chat. I know he's interested but I'm just not sure now if I am. He doesn't seem sparky or passionate about anything in particular.

Like you I get far more attention on a night out than I do online. Unfortunately the attention mostly comes from married men or those I'm just not interested in.

I couldn't agree more with your post sozbox. The guy I've been chatting with has now descended in to the "how is your day" kind of chat. I know he's interested but I'm just not sure now if I am. He doesn't seem sparky or passionate about anything in particular.

Like you I get far more attention on a night out than I do online. Unfortunately the attention mostly comes from married men or those I'm just not interested in.

Haven't had any married men yet thankfully :P

The one thing I'd say is if this is how he is after a week of chatting imagine 3 months into a relationship :eek:

Haven't had any married men yet thankfully :P

The one thing I'd say is if this is how he is after a week of chatting imagine 3 months into a relationship :eek:

Oh stop. I spent a few months dating a married man and being absolutely mad about him. We really clicked. Then I found out the truth.

Oh stop. I spent a few months dating a married man and being absolutely mad about him. We really clicked. Then I found out the truth.

Oh wow! Please tell me there's a good story behind how you found out at least.

• Advertisement

Oh wow! Please tell me there's a good story behind how you found out at least.

There really isn't :( It was easy for him to pretend because we saw each other in a different location to where he actually lived. The woman his friend was dating at the time told me. This was a man in his mid forties. I remember having a little niggly doubt and asking the friend at one stage who of course denied it, the same as yer man did.

It was a few years ago now but I remember it well. It happened again but in different circumstances. I was chatting with someone who lived in a different country for about six weeks. Flirting, all the rest, telling me how we'll meet up when he is next home. I came across his Facebook, asked him was he single, no it turned out he wasn't.

Two assholes the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

There really isn't :( It was easy for him to pretend because we saw each other in a different location to where he actually lived. The woman his friend was dating at the time told me. This was a man in his mid forties. I remember having a little niggly doubt and asking the friend at one stage who of course denied it, the same as yer man did.

It was a few years ago now but I remember it well. It happened again but in different circumstances. I was chatting with someone who lived in a different country for about six weeks. Flirting, all the rest, telling me how we'll meet up when he is next home. I came across his Facebook, asked him was he single, no it turned out he wasn't.

Can't beat a bit of light internet stalking to get to the truth!!

Technically I am still married, but that's only because getting divorced is a slow (and expensive) process.

aww that's a real ****ty thing to do. Unfortunately I'd say it's much more common than I'd like to think.

I've seen some married colleagues magically turn up on a night out sans wedding ring

Best to trust your gut in matters of the heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

What is the furthest people are willing to travel? I got chatting to a girl at the weekend and she's looking to meet up. We haven't even spoken that much but she's already acting passive aggressive.

First it was like
    "do you want to meet then?"
    And I'm like "em bit early, no?"
    "We should just leave it then"
    Me: "no we can meet, I still want to"
    Her: "when?"
    Me: "I'm not sure when I am free again"
    Her: "We should just leave it"
    Me: tongue in cheek "tomorrow?"
    Her: "I'm free from 6, we can do something here*"
    *her home village. 70+ miles away
    Me: "I've never been there before, it's a good bit away"
    Her: "Is x any closer to you?" (No it isn't) We can go to x, it's 10 mins away, cos my town is small and people know me and there's nothing to do anyway"
    Me: "no its even further"
    Her: "We should just leave it then"
    Me: "we could meet in y, is it far from you?" *According to Google maps it's as close to halfway as we can get
    Her: "I've never been there, is there some where we can go for coffee?"
    Me: "I'm sure there's a Starbucks or something"
    Her: "maybe we should just leave it"

Wtf

Edit: how could I forget the constant "you're the bloke, you decide" when I asked what we should/could do. Not satisfied with me traipsing half the length of the country, I also have to come up with the itinerary in a town/village I've never been in! Ugh

armaghlad wrote: »
    What is the furthest people are willing to travel? I got chatting to a girl at the weekend and she's looking to meet up. We haven't even spoken that much but she's already acting passive aggressive.

First it was like
    Her: "Is x any closer to you?" (No it isn't) We can go to x, it's 10 mins away, cos my town is small and people know me and there's nothing to do anyway"
    Me: "we could meet in y, is it far from you?" *According to Google maps it's as close to halfway as we can get

Wtf

run dude

First it was like

Wtf

Would you really want to meet up with somebody who seems like such a difficult irritating person

Say something passive aggressive back to her, say yeh I don't think things would have worked out between us anyway and then don't reply to anything she says again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

First it was like

Wtf

Edit: how could I forget the constant "you're the bloke, you decide" when I asked what we should/could do. Not satisfied with me traipsing half the length of the country, I also have to come up with the itinerary in a town/village I've never been in! Ugh

As above I'd walk.
    I had a long distance relationship with somebody I met online ... Me - Dublin, Herself - Florida. Went on for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Time to be giving her the see ya after treatment.
    Let's leave it.
    "Yeah, you're right!"

• Advertisement

I hate to go back on my word!! But I did start talking to this guy on tinder this was ages ago who was incredibly passive aggressive when we began talking , but he kept asking to meet and i don't know why I did really, I was new to tinder and wanted to experience a tinder date I guess. Anyway he turned out to be an extremely lovely guy in person who is a good friend now, so yeh :p Hate to leave you with the mixed opinion but there you go haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement