Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Sometimes life just gets in the way. It happened to me with the guy I'm texting now, we had been chatting and it was fine, but then I had exams so I didn't even look at tinder for a month. We also weren't in any sort of deep conversation and I didn't owe him anything by way of an explanation (what could I have said? "Sorry mate - have to focus on exams now. Bye.") because, like I said, it was all small talk then. Luckily he messaged me when I did resume my tinder dealings and it's all fine.

In short, when I've been in your position and people have suddenly disappeared prior to actually having met in person, as annoying as it is I just move on to the next person, try to avoid the "eggs in one basket" syndrome as it can happen sometimes and hope for the best next time around. Why do you doubt your communication skills? Most times I find other factors come into play, more related with them than you.

Cheers Panda, that makes sense alright. I guess I shouldn't think too much of it. Although women do get a lot of messages from different guys and it's to be expected that they can't keep up contact with everyone and will only continue communication with those whom they've made the strongest connection with.

But I hear what you're saying about timing being an issue. Tinder/POF etc can actually be very distracting and damn addictive and I've stayed up till all hours on too many occasions messaging away. The ping of a new message gives me a little boost (sad eh) and I actually find it hard to take a break from the dating sites, sometimes I think I need a clean break from them altogether!

Porkpie wrote: »

But I hear what you're saying about timing being an issue. Tinder/POF etc can actually be very distracting and damn addictive and I've stayed up till all hours on too many occasions messaging away. The ping of a new message gives me a little boost (sad eh) and I actually find it hard to take a break from the dating sites, sometimes I think I need a clean break from them altogether!

That's not sad at all :)

Have you been using them long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

What sites do ye use? Im just on tinder and POF, the old reliables. Been a while since I was on them so wondering is there a new thing ye cool kids use.

What sites do ye use? Im just on tinder and POF, the old reliables. Been a while since I was on them so wondering is there a new thing ye cool kids use.

I've never used tinder and I've found pof to be a bit of a disaster. I use okcupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

I've never used tinder and I've found pof to be a bit of a disaster. I use okcupid.

You must be in the capital so, I remember using that years ago and it was fairly quiet down the country.

• Advertisement

You must be in the capital so, I remember using that years ago and it was fairly quiet down the country.

I'm not but I spend a lot of time in the capital, am very flexible and don't mind travelling a little :)
    It is very quiet down the country alright. I've considered tinder butI don't think it's for me. I need more to go on than just a photo. Also I don't have Facebook so I would have to set up an account.

Not such a cool kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

From the marvel of 9GAG, (meaning this example is most likely fake but still), in the realm of online dating none of us are safe from bunny boilers like this;

http://m.9gag.com/gag/aPW6RKR?ref=fbp

Be vigilant friends

From the marvel of 9GAG, (meaning this example is most likely fake but still), in the realm of online dating none of us are safe from bunny boilers like this;

Be vigilant friends

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

**signs up to OkCupid immediately** :cool:

Be vigilant friends

That's intense :eek::eek:

I use POF and Tinder, both not doing it for me at all. Someone recommended an app called Once, you get one match a day selected by a human and have 24 hours to like them. Only if both people match then you can chat, seems interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭briany

in the realm of online dating none of us are safe from bunny boilers like this;

Ah, I'd say some people are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Be vigilant friends

Oh lordy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So the only noteworthy event that has a occurred as a result of joining Tinder is that within a day or two, my ex unfriended me on FB (worth it for that alone). I'm at the stage where I haven't had a match in over a week and haven't had a conversation yet. I think I'm just going to erase the app at this point; OD has proved again to be for other people.

cantdecide wrote: »
    So the only noteworthy event that has a occurred as a result of joining Tinder is that within a day or two, my ex unfriended me on FB (worth it for that alone). I'm at the stage where I haven't had a match in over a week and haven't had a conversation yet. I think I'm just going to erase the app at this point; OD has proved again to be for other people.

Have you tried okcupid?

Have you tried okcupid?

I was on POF and OKC a few years ago and had the same experience only you have to try and engage with those wishing to ignore you. I'm not trying to be morose. It's just a weird feeling of voyeurism to be liking and poking around peoples' profiles and never making any contact with these people. Frankly, I almost feel I'm invading peoples' privacy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Do you guys get a lot of random foreign people messaging you on ok cupid? Id say a good half of my messages are from British and european people and places very far away like brazil usa and philipinnes. Whats up with that? Why would you message somebody on a dating site so far away?

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was on POF and OKC a few years ago and had the same experience only you have to try and engage with those wishing to ignore you. I'm not trying to be morose. It's just a weird feeling of voyeurism to be liking and poking around peoples' profiles and never making any contact with these people. Frankly, I almost feel I'm invading peoples' privacy...

People create profiles to be poked around in. That's the nature of the beast. You put some information about yourself up and a few photos.
    I say knock tinder on the head and go with okcupid. If you like I can help you write a profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I might give OKC another go as I haven't used it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

Rhea Rose wrote: »
    Can't you select age preferences etc. on POF? Maybe you just don't fall into the age bracket she's looking for. I wouldn't take it personally.

Exactly. I have my settings set so that only men -5 & +7 years older can message me. That's not unreasonable. It saves time too. I have no interest in wading through messages from boys young enough to be my son but cheeky enough to message crap like ''how would you like to wake up with my head between your legs'' and similarly, as I'm looking for an actual relationship, I wouldn't be into stringing an older man along either. Too much integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

wakka12 wrote: »
    Do you guys get a lot of random foreign people messaging you on ok cupid? Id say a good half of my messages are from British and european people and places very far away like brazil usa and philipinnes. Whats up with that? Why would you message somebody on a dating site so far away?

I think the various Floridian golfers etc don't notice that you're in Ireland because the World starts and ends in the USA, and the african princes, they might have half a plan to come over here..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

wakka12 wrote: »
    Do you guys get a lot of random foreign people messaging you on ok cupid?

No but on POF I get a lot of adverts for Russian and Thai brides. I may end up using those services yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Be vigilant friends

:-O

People create profiles to be poked around in. That's the nature of the beast. You put some information about yourself up and a few photos.

Lol! Of course you're right but it's easy to feel outside the loop!
    I say knock tinder on the head and go with okcupid. If you like I can help you write a profile.

I'm going to think about trying OKC again and I may take you up on that offer, P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Would it not be easier to meet potential partners/lovers whatever you want to label them, through your own social activities? Is it time restraints that draw people to online dating?

Would it not be easier to meet potential partners/lovers whatever you want to label them, through your own social activities? Is it time restraints that draw people to online dating?

Not necessarily. For me I can be quite solitary. I enjoy rambling around mountains and woods but by myself. I read a lot and love films. I do love to meet up with friends and have a chat over a coffee or a drink but well they are my friends :) I'm not a member of any group and like it that way.

Other people may struggle with shyness and find it difficult to be around large groups of people so that's another factor. Or any number of reasons really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Not necessarily. For me I can be quite solitary. I enjoy rambling around mountains and woods but by myself. I read a lot and love films. I do love to meet up with friends and have a chat over a coffee or a drink but well they are my friends :) I'm not a member of any group and like it that way.

Other people may struggle with shyness and find it difficult to be around large groups of people so that's another factor. Or any number of reasons really.

thanks persepoly i hadnt considered it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Are ya allowed to post pics in AH?

Came across this the other day. Am gonna do it next time someone asks me! :D:D

Bra-vo!!

Are ya allowed to post pics in AH?

Came across this the other day. Am gonna do it next time someone asks me! :D:D

Ha! Funny :)

I've never been asked for such a picture. Is it a common request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ha! Funny :)

I've never been asked for such a picture. Is it a common request?

Do ya want to be asked :pac:

Do ya want to be asked :pac:

:p I have sent them in the past to boyfriends and men I'm dating but not to strangers.

Ya divil :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I sent such a request to someone before, but it went tits up. . .Cough!

As ye were folks. . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement