Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

joined match.com and within 3 hrs i regretted it , jesus pof and okcupid are better and they are free

stay away from it , plus it keeps crashing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I was on the free French version of match.com for a while. What a waste of time - dozens of supposedly perfect matches, all supposedly sending me messages but I couldn't read them being on the free version. Then they offered me a three-day free trial of the paid-for service. Still a waste of money - three days??? Due to them messing me around with my profile (too many words they wouldn't allow) I got an extra few days out of them. Well, the number of likes and matches and all crashed right down after that. I have a platonic lady-friend "of a certain age" who spent a fortune on it and more again going to meet handsome sporty guys that wanted to meet her. They were all real, and their profiles accurate enough ... but the matching algorithm was way off ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

FGR wrote: »
    What irks me is that if I wanted to use Tinder I really can't as although I have a facebook I use it for groups so its basically empty - no pics, no interests or posts.

Does that make me a bad person..? :pac:

I'm sure it would make people suspicious at least..!

Yeah you can, you can upload pics to Tinder off your phone's gallery, you can also set your Facebook photo albums to private so that no one will see them except you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I never said they don't. I just think deleting every trace of yourself on social media is a bit extreme. If I was that concerned about privacy I wouldn't use the internet at all.
    I didn't say delete every trace of yourself on social media - I said delete everything that can be linked to photo's of you of any kind, because within the next year or two, that will permanently become a way of ubiquitously tracking you not just online, but in real life too, with next to no effort.

The scale of the privacy breach caused by having photo's of yourself online, is going to become very extreme in a very short space of time - solely through the recent availability of search engines which can successfully do facial/body recognition.

That's a very specific concern, with very specific measures - it's not saying "delete all your social media accounts...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Mikkl wrote: »
    What's a "catfishy girl"? somebody who seems too young and too attractive to plausibly be interested in you?
    What questions do you ask? And what's in it for people pretending to be somebody else? do they ask for your bank details for their sick mother?
    If something seems too good to be true it usually is. I honestly don't know the motives for catfishing but as a bizzare example I came across a "girl" on pof who claimed to be from Newcastle upon Tyne.

How I matched with her is beyond me, because thats hundreds of miles away from me and my profile isn't set up to match with girls so far away.

Anyway, she had included a link to her instagram account so I decided to follow it. She had something like 15k followers. She must be real then...

I looked through the pictures and they all had the same theme - American girl with the same fliters, hundreds of likes and comments all from guys. All selfies and pictures that definitely don't look like northern England.

Then slap bang there is a random picture of a 10+ year old UK audi tt, no filter/effects and some stupid caption "I love my car" or something like that. I then realised the insta account was only started in April.

It was the weirdest thing and it just goes to show that some people take the catfishing very serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I would love to have that much free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

joined match.com and within 3 hrs i regretted it , jesus pof and okcupid are better and they are free

stay away from it , plus it keeps crashing

That Elite Singles site is worse - utter rubbish, the most user-unfriendly site I've ever been on. Ironic for a site supposedly aimed at professionals.

Tried match.com, didn't find it any better or worse than others. POF is great alright.

I use meetup.com these days - my experience of online dating is that you waste an awful lot of time messaging women who aren't interested. There's loads of singles groups on meetup that arrange group events - movies, drinks nights, hill walking etc. I've met loads of lovely people in meetup and have dated two. Not at the same time, I should add. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

The ad for elite singles was hilarious. The guy in the blue suit, he looked like a south american drug dealer in that suit, but warming himself by an enormous open fire. He must have had his own castle. I joined a site, can't even remember which now, but I asked for my money back and they gave it to me. Thank God. I bought a lovely jacket with the refund. It gave me way more pleasure than being matched to a man tell years older than me from sligo. It only gave me about five 'matches', none lived in my PROVINCE never mind near me. And there didn't seem to be any way of doing a search!

My fav is Christian mingle.
    I'll mingle with your husband while you're at communion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

:D

Virtuous sex

• Advertisement

Everlong1 wrote: »
    That Elite Singles site is worse - utter rubbish, the most user-unfriendly site I've ever been on. Ironic for a site supposedly aimed at professionals.

Tried match.com, didn't find it any better or worse than others. POF is great alright.

I use meetup.com these days - my experience of online dating is that you waste an awful lot of time messaging women who aren't interested. There's loads of singles groups on meetup that arrange group events - movies, drinks nights, hill walking etc. I've met loads of lovely people in meetup and have dated two. Not at the same time, I should add. :D

elitesingles should be called " snobby cnuts after a guy on 200k a year "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I didn't say delete every trace of yourself on social media - I said delete everything that can be linked to photo's of you of any kind,

Photos are a huge part of social media though. Facebook and Instagram would be kind of pointless without them. You may as well delete your accounts all together and just stick with the email for contacting people.
    I use meetup.com these days - my experience of online dating is that you waste an awful lot of time messaging women who aren't interested.

That's my take on it too. It just seems like all that wasted time could be spent doing something more productive, like organising events on Meetup where you're actually meeting people. I've met about 100 people on meetup at this stage. I've only ever met one from online dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

my experience of online dating is that you waste an awful lot of time messaging women who aren't interested.

Same goes for messaging some men...it can be a real pain in the a$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

That name is just so wrong, it sounds durty for some reason :confused::o
    I think its the mingle part

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

KikiDee wrote: »
    Same goes for messaging some men...it can be a real pain in the a$$

I daresay if you were to look at the amount of women who don't respond to messages, compared to the amount of men...there'd be no comparison.

As in real life, women have all the power online when it comes to the dating game, and can pick and choose at their leisure.

As in real life, women have all the power online when it comes to the dating game, and can pick and choose at their leisure.

I have to politely disagree with you on this.

I daresay if you were to look at the amount of women who don't respond to messages, compared to the amount of men...there'd be no comparison.

Oh which man shall I choose as I walk to the Luas.

Such bullshít.

Picatuchu I chooo choose youuu

Picatuchu I chooo choose youuu

I chooo chooo choooose youuuuu Lexie! :pac:

Same goes for men. I thought men would want to meet up. And they do, I think but maybe they have two columns. In their head, women to chat to and women they're prepared to leave the house for. I'm getting wise now. :-( I think men my age love chatting to me on line. So many times, as soon as I hint that the conversation could be continued over a glass of wines and a bowl of curly fries in a pub, they disappear! That has happened to me about five times now. I am going to get to the point quicker from now on. I think somebody will either meet up or they won't. I'm not going to keep these guys company while they hope somebody 'better' will go out on a date with them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be honest, you'd lose me at curly fries too.

Same goes for men. I thought men would want to meet up. And they do, I think but maybe they have two columns. In their head, women to chat to and women they're prepared to leave the house for. I'm getting wise now. :-( I think men my age love chatting to me on line. So many times, as soon as I hint that the conversation could be continued over a glass of wines and a bowl of curly fries in a pub, they disappear! That has happened to me about five times now. I am going to get to the point quicker from now on. I think somebody will either meet up or they won't. I'm not going to keep these guys company while they hope somebody 'better' will go out on a date with them!

what age are you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Men are so hard to msg ... So many mixed messages ... Not interested just say or vice versa ! No need for games
    I think I'll give up for a while!!

Or what about the men that ask you on a date, you say yes and what not and then that's it? They're gone. Are they keeping count of the birds they can 'pull' online????

There are always going to be those who want to meet you and those who don't. Just like there will be some men you would be interested in pursuing a relationship with and some men who you would prefer to keep it casual. It's no big mystery.

How long do you chat for before you suggest meeting? Is it always you who initiates the meet?

When I message men though, I do this very female thing of attempting to assess who is in my ''league''.
    I don't think men are very good at assessing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

When I message men though, I do this very female thing of attempting to assess who is in my ''league''.
    I don't think men are very good at assessing that.
    Some women arent the best at it either to be fair.

A wise man once told me there's no such thing as leagues

xkariex wrote: »
    Men are so hard to msg ... So many mixed messages ... Not interested just say or vice versa ! No need for games
    I think I'll give up for a while!!

That hasn't been my experience. So many different men, all unique, all with they're own history and experiences just like me.

What sort of games?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

KikiDee wrote: »
    Or what about the men that ask you on a date, you say yes and what not and then that's it? They're gone. Are they keeping count of the birds they can 'pull' online????

Young WANs tbf do this as well...always drop/call off dates..

It's pure shtie tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement