Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

My point is in relation to the statement (not just by you mind) that tinder has better looking girls and there's a theme of tinder having employed, slimmer women yadda yadda.

When in fact previous to tinder everyone was on POF that did online dating.

That's just not true. Before tinder there were several similar sized dating sites, POF may have been the 2nd largest pre tinder but it was not the only one.

Whatever state sites were in in the past now the quality of potentail matches on tinder seems much better to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Tinder has a lot of younger ones on it. AFAIK you can sign up for tinder at age 16 (although people under 18 can only match others under 18) whereas pof is over 18. A lot of people have tinder for a bit of craic, that's how I started on it, it was the first dating app I ever used and it's the only one I'm still on.

POF seems to have a lot of 30 somethings on it, and therefore more people serious about dating and meeting someone. My experience is that they're older, less attractive and more inclined to be after a long term relationship than those on tinder who tend be students, in their twenties, indifferent or open to a relationship but not pursuing one with the same vigour as the fishies on pof.

Of course that is one big massive generalisation based on my experience of the apps. I deleted pof recently for the second time, 100% success rate but the lack of talent and amount of catfish did my head in

poa wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, a ride is a ride.
    I have my settings to block anyone with; prefer not to say/BBW body type from messaging me.
    Sadly one cannot block by occupation type, but one can filter it when searching.
    Generally speaking; no profile picture means fat/ugly. And no occupation means dole.
    It's not all bad though, some of the single mothers on the dole are hot.
    I was signing on today myself, and it was like a parade of the finest women in my town at the dole office.
    Plenty of eye candy to pass the time while queuing to sign anyway.

I think you are coming across pretty terribly to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I think he/she is on the wind up :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm on pof.
    I'm single, reasonable looking, not morbidly obese, have a good job, my own house and my own car.
    I don't have any kids.

The reason I'm not on tinder, is because you have to be on Facebook. And Facebook is dumb.
    Imo.

Same here (except for the house)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You have all talked about four dating sites and apps so far, how would you rate Smooch and Badoo, these are the only two I've ever used so far and not much luck on either. I got a date out of Smooch, I took a chance on someone without a pic on their profile, but it was a bit of a disaster. I think I've been too long now out of the dating game and it just seems pointless at this stage.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

You have all talked about four dating sites and apps so far, how would you rate Smooch and Badoo, these are the only two I've ever used so far and not much luck on either. I got a date out of Smooch, I took a chance on someone without a pic on their profile, but it was a bit of a disaster. I think I've been too long now out of the dating game and it just seems pointless at this stage.

Never heard of either of them! I'm on POF & Tinder. There seems to be way more people on POF (in my age bracket anyway) - tinder is very 'quiet'. I've been at it for about 3 weeks now and have been on 2 dates. One good, one not so good. I get a lot of messages but I've only responded to a handful. I can see how it must be disheartening for the sender of the message but if I don't like the profile I don't see the point.

The messaging is hard though I think. The best chats I had were with people who mentioned something in my profile / interests, it's hard to strike up a good conversation on Hi.
    I've only sent first messages to 2 people!

I don't know if it's really for me but as a separated mother I can't think of any other way to get back 'out there'. (separated working mother who has her own house ha ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why are you limiting yourself to the smaller sites? You have a much better chance of meeting someone on a site with a bigger user base.

I don't know what age you are but I used smooch years ago and it seemed very much for younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I don't know what age you are but I used smooch years ago and it seemed very much for younger people.

I thought the opposite, seemed very much for older people

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Padraig1888

Tinder is handy for the ride, not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Tinder is handy for the ride, not much else.

That's not true, I know of and have heard of many relationships that have started from Tinder.

It's handy for the ride alright, but there's more to it than that if that's what you're looking for! Just have to spend some time sorting through a lot of rubbish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That's not true, I know of and have heard of many relationships that have started from Tinder.

It's handy for the ride alright, but there's more to it than that if that's what you're looking for! Just have to spend some time sorting through a lot of rubbish :D

I presume its a bit like TKMAXX :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

I think he/she is on the wind up :P :P

I think you may be right.
    Shame some people are too thick to get it.

Well you don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Well you don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire.
    It's a dirty puddle that won't cool a hot iron

armaghlad wrote: »
    It's a dirty puddle that won't cool a hot iron

Manys a good tune played on a old fiddle.

This morning I got messaged by the roughest 47 year old I have seen (I am 39).
    Her head looked deformed it was that big and out of shape.
    Jesus, I thought to myself; I will never get a worse one that that again.
    This afternoon she was topped in the rough awards by a dog with prison tattoos on her breasts.
    Welcome to pof.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I'm 36 and I get messaged a lot by 22y.o.'s, 56y.o.'s, and 65y.o.'s.....

I think you may be right.
    Shame some people are too thick to get it.

Oh really??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

This morning I got messaged by the roughest 47 year old I have seen (I am 39).
    Her head looked deformed it was that big and out of shape.
    Jesus, I thought to myself; I will never get a worse one that that again.
    This afternoon she was topped in the rough awards by a dog with prison tattoos on her breasts.
    Welcome to pof.com
    Okay, that's enough.
    Don't post here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Karmella wrote: »
    tinder is very 'quiet'. I've been at it for about 3 weeks now and have been on 2 dates. One good, one not so good. I get a lot of messages but I've only responded to a handful. I can see how it must be disheartening for the sender of the message but if I don't like the profile I don't see the point.

Then why swipe right?

Julez wrote: »
    Then why swipe right?

Oh sorry, I meant on POF where anyone can send you a message, you don't have to match with them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

I've found it to be a mixed bag for the most part. I met someone and dated for a few months but it was long distance so didn't really work out in the end.

It works sometimes but the main problems I've discovered with it are there's a lot of disingenuous profiles out there or people with a crazy number of requirements that need to be met. Usually when I see those kind of things I run a mile. You have to filter through a lot of rubbish profiles like the ego strokers, to get to the people who don't reply, to then maybe get to someone who is actually genuine and doesn't think you're a total minger. Sometimes you'll see a profile with pictures and they're time stamped from 2007 or 2008. That's 8 years ago! Surely you have a smartphone by now to show us a recent picture?

I know this has got to be a hell of a lot worse for females; dealing with idiots, liars, cheaters, guys sending dick pics or the ones that can't keep a shirt on for a picture. It probably becomes a chore after a few weeks dealing with crap like that.

You probably have more success if you're based in a city like Dublin or Cork but if you're in a smaller town then I've found it to not be a great runner. I found with POF there's so many people I already know on it and most of them are single moms, not that there's anything wrong with that but it's just not for me right now. It's hard enough to get a relationship going and to add children to the mix would complicate things further.

I've only sent a few messages overall to people but generally I hear nothing back so I've come to the conclusion I come across boring, have two heads or am a complete minger :) Probably two of those three.

It's a fine alternative to try and meet people but I wouldn't put all my eggs in the one basket with it. It's probably still best to go out there and try meet people in person. You sort of avoid that first date awkwardness of meeting this way and feels a bit more natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I met my boyfriend on tinder. I know it's a cliche but I really was only looking casually, I had no intention of meeting anyone serious on it and was on it moreso for being nosy than anything else. He says he was on it for similar reasons. We're both mid 20s it was both of our first online dates.

We just instantly clicked. It turned out we had a lot of mutual friends but I felt like I'd known him years within just a few weeks. Still together a year later and hoping to either move in together or emigrate by the end of the year.

I think tinder/pof etc are great for casual dating but the problem is too many people take it too seriously and end up disappointed when they don't meet 'the one'. I know that sounds hypocritical seeing as I met my boyfriend on one, but I didn't have high expectations at the start so there was less pressure for both of us.

Tinder is the only one I've ever used, I've seen the layout of pof and didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Is there a way of chatting to people on POF that's less like PMs/Email via the message system? Something like OKCupids messaging sytem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Is there a way of chatting to people on POF that's less like PMs/Email via the message system? Something like OKCupids messaging sytem?

There's just the quick message which is pretty much the same. Although from what I've heard, people are less likely to respond to a quick message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't know why but I've always wondered why there was such a significant difference in the attractiveness of women on various dating apps/sites.

Tinder > OkCupud > PoF > Tagged

No experience of the last two sites but when I was fairly briefly using those first two sites I noticed something about Tinder.
    I've got a casual interest in photography and it seems on Tinder a certain amount of photographic tricks are used that weren't used so much on OKC, things like photo being of entire face from an angle, black and white or monochromed, bright light coming from behind, these work well when viewed on a 5/6 inch screen but I hazard they would be standout as obvious on a computer monitor.
    Since Tinder is such minimal effort it also makes sense that attractive women* would use it if they want an ego boost but aren't interested in anything more whereas OKC setting up even a minimal account is a barrier to entry.

This isn't meant as a judgment (I didn't use sites seriously) just that the effect your noticing may have other additional explanations rather than simply Good looking people use Tinder

* I can't imagine most men find it an ego boost!

Definitely Tinder is easier to set up - I joined it first because all I had to do was throw up a couple of selfies :) I must have filled out all the boxes on POF 10 times but always fell at the last hurdle of describing myself!!!
    Once I'd been on tinder for a week, I got the confidence to finally fill out that last info box on POF and I'm glad I did as its been more successful.

The funny thing I've noticed is a lot of people are on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ints

Hi, guys,
    Who has recent success stories using online dating sites?
    Or who has used Matchmaker services in Ireland and did it work?

I am 34 young lad average looking.
    Got divorced while ago and trying get back in to dating world but so far using Tinder or Badoo, okcupid etc - not getting any response - if you see someone likes u and want to chat with you but when you send simple Hi how are you no one actually responds lol.
    Any non scamming websites?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Op, you have just made Alf hungry this morning. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement