Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Rereg troll and replies removed folks. Sorry if it breaks up the flow of the conversation.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Do you message back? Would you be motivated to engage with people over that distance? Do you think they're genuine?

Oh many of them are genuine. In fact I have received the most lovely messages from men in the UK and the States. They tend to acknowledge the distance and how they wanted to message me anyway because of whatever.

I did get chatting to one guy in the UK about two years ago and again a few months ago. We skyped a bit too. Obviously it didn't go anywhere. I mean flying to London for a first date is beyond my financial capabilities I'm afraid.

So short answer is no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Sure what's the worst can happen msging someone who's otherwise interesting Etc only the distance

(Though tbf I probably wouldn't)
    Would you move countries to be with someone!??
    Gonna sound like a killjoy but you could end up messaging, build a rapport with that person and end up developing feelings but you can't exactly just meet up and go on a date, so unless you're planning on flying back and forth over the channel then it's best to not bother and just move on to someone closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

the paying sites are worse than the free ones

gonna try speed dating for the craic , did it 6 months ago and was cool , got a few messages the next day etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well I'm an honourary member of the single club til after the euros it would seem.
    Is the men less active on tinder since the football started?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

Maybe it could be nice to have a constant pen pal, to sustain you through the uncertainty and dry spells of meeting real life people in the real world. Real world, bit tiring. I communicated with an English man for a while too. Supposing you have taxidermy as one of your interests, I think that means you're in that rogues' gallery other taxidermists see. So occasionally the algorithm ignores your location preferences as does a computer version of ''Barry, this is Tracey from Newtownmountkennedy and she loves my little ponies. Barry is from Grays in Essex and he collects monchichis and my little ponies.

I am not cool girl. I couldn't cope with the cross dressing. There is one man on pof and his profile pic is himself in a black corset and red high heels so you know what's on his tin. Clearly labelled. No surprises.

I have email notifications to let me know that I have 7 messages. I'm terrified now. I need to do a work out, send some oxygen to my brain so I can reply well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Well I'm an honourary member of the single club til after the euros it would seem.

Oh hello. Don't I know you from somewhere :pac:

Woot. More ladies for us footie-phobes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What football? :confused:

My favourite bit about football is, when after the football, they talk about the football. God I love that bit.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I've started to dream about online dating sites, interspersed with the usual chaos of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I hadn't considered a lack of men online because of the football. Maybe I should hop back onto ok cupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Mikkl wrote: »
    My favourite bit about football is, when after the football, they talk about the football. God I love that bit.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

My favourite is when you're trying to subtlety distract them/get them away from the telly, and you're starting off giving him a kiss but you notice he's still trying to eye the tv up behind you. Oh and when they watch the match, then watch the analysis and then the highlights. I bet there'll be a lot more women on tinder before the end of this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Messaged a girl on POF recently. I got no reply, but probably should have expected that, seeing as she didn't reply the last time I messaged her some time ago. Anyway, in my local pharmacy today, guess who was behind the counter? You guessed it. I don't think she recognised me at all, so there was no awkwardness. Small world, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Messaged a girl on POF recently. I got no reply, but probably should have expected that, seeing as she didn't reply the last time I messaged her some time ago. Anyway, in my local pharmacy today, guess who was behind the counter? You guessed it. I don't think she recognised me at all, so there was no awkwardness. Small world, though!
    We're you buying 'something for the weekend'? ;)

Not your ornery onager

No harm in trying more than once I guess :)

No harm in trying more than once I guess :)

Not at all. Perhaps a waste of time, but there's always a chance that they could end up replying in the end. . .

. . .perhaps to say to eff off :p

Not at all. Perhaps a waste of time, but there's always a chance that they could end up replying in the end. . .

. . .perhaps to say to eff off :p

But it could come across a little needy.

But it could come across a little needy.

Oh no, I personally wouldn't message them more than twice, and not twice in close succession. Being on and off the sites, I may not encounter them for some time when I go back on. So, either they just don't appear on my feed, or they'd have deleted their accounts as well and would re-register somewhere along the way. If nothing after a couple of messages, then hint taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Oh no, I personally wouldn't message them more than twice, and not twice in close succession. Being on and off the sites, I may not encounter them for some time when I go back on. So, either they just don't appear on my feed, or they'd have deleted their accounts as well and would re-register somewhere along the way. If nothing after a couple of messages, then hint taken!

I joined Tinder a few weeks ago and have had shyte all matches and a handful of replies. I'm looking at a couple of one-reply 'conversations' and wondering if I should try to get chatting again. I just wonder if someone matches me and replies once, why would they stop replying and why would they not just unmatch if they've changed their mind about chatting. I think most of the small number of matches were quite late on weekend nights indicating a beer-goggles factor. In other news; woe is little old me!

cantdecide wrote: »
    I joined Tinder a few weeks ago and have had shyte all matches and a handful of replies. I'm looking at a couple of one-reply 'conversations' and wondering if I should try to get chatting again. I just wonder if someone matches me and replies once, why would they stop replying and why would they not just unmatch if they've changed their mind about chatting. I think most of the small number of matches were quite late on weekend nights indicating a beer-goggles factor. In other news; woe is little old me!

I've only been matched with one person on Tinder since I started, oh, probably over a year ago. I sent a message, logged on the next day, and I had been unmatched. Oh well, I'll be into a new decade from midnight tonight, so I will have to get my arse in gear and start looking more away from OD. Not that I haven't been doing that already, but I need to make more of an effort :)

I don't know what some of these are looking for. I mean, they list things in their profiles that we'd have in common, she seems nice and genuine and all that. But, come messaging, well, it's a different story there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ohh same thing happened to me except it was in Tesco. :) She did reply to my initial message but never replied after that. She didn't look as attractive in person though I must say.

I don't know what some of these are looking for. I mean, they list things in their profiles that we'd have in common, she seems nice and genuine and all that. But, come messaging, well, it's a different story there.

Dating is always going to be about more than having things in common and being a good and decent person. There are people in my life who I could spend hours with, talk about the things we love, shared values, but neither of us are interested romantically in the other.

I've chatted with men online who at first glance seemed very interesting indeed, no doubt they are interesting. Yet I just wasn't feeling it.
    Take it handy Trebor. Don't let being 30 cause you to hurry. You could be 45 before you meet the special someone :)

Ohh same thing happened to me except it was in Tesco. :) She did reply to my initial message but never replied after that. She didn't look as attractive in person though I must say.

Ah, so you obviously didn't feel so bad having seen her in person so ;) The one today actually looks cuter in person than in her photos. I admit that I did get a little nervous in case I was recognised, but I managed to play it cool :P

It wouldn't be too pleasant having an awkward encounter with someone, who things might have gone a tad pear-shaped with in previous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You could be 45 before you meet the special someone :)

Like that old song...

"I was only 45, when she looked at me that way, feels like yesterday."
    "She was only 28, with a savage pair of... ohh wait no, that's not it at all.

Dating is always going to be about more than having things in common and being a good and decent person. There are people in my life who I could spend hours with, talk about the things we love, shared values, but neither of us are interested romantically in the other.

I've chatted with men online who at first glance seemed very interesting indeed, no doubt they are interesting. Yet I just wasn't feeling it.
    Take it handy Trebor. Don't let being 30 cause you to hurry. You could be 45 before you meet the special someone :)

Or 65 at this rate :p

Well, Logged off POF for the night. I got right to the point and collared three guys. Three dates in the pipeline. No days or dates or times as yet Which probably means no dates. But I still feel that was vaguely positive. You couldn't do that every evening though. The house is a mess. I meant to do an internet shop. I'll do that at work tomorrow :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Might give this old online dating rubbish another go till I drop it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

failinis wrote: »
    Might give this old online dating rubbish another go till I drop it again.

why did you drop it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

why did you drop it before?

Got assaulted (not related to anyone from online dating) and never tried since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Mikkl wrote: »
    Well, Logged off POF for the night. I got right to the point and collared three guys. Three dates in the pipeline. No days or dates or times as yet Which probably means no dates. But I still feel that was vaguely positive. You couldn't do that every evening though. The house is a mess. I meant to do an internet shop. I'll do that at work tomorrow :-p
    do you need to net a load of fish to get one
    date?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement