Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Of course not! Everyone knows boardsies are strange and incapable of real world interaction.

:p

And here was me going to match you and Armaghlad up!

Witchie wrote: »
    And here was me going to match you and Armaghlad up!

Ah I think he might be a bit young for me Witchie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Ah I think he might be a bit young for me Witchie

Ummmm...how young is too young? I have a guy 14 years younger chatting me up on fb these days but tempting and all as it is I think I will behave myself. For once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

maudgonner wrote: »
    If I get a 'Hi' message but the guy has put effort into his profile I'll probably respond.

But that's not usually the case. More often than not the profile will be empty too. If the guy is relying on his photos to get a response, that rarely works for me. I'm not looking for a hookup, I'll need something to indicate whether we'd have any compatibility.

I don't need them to send an essay, a one-liner that makes me laugh, shows an interest in me or starts a conversation will do the trick.

How is he meant to know what makes you laugh without knowing you ?

Let's reverse the roles for a second - if you were making the first move on a guy, what amount of effort and research would you put in, bearing in mind that "too much" could make you seem like a stalker ?

Witchie wrote: »
    Ummmm...how young is too young? I have a guy 14 years younger chatting me up on fb these days but tempting and all as it is I think I will behave myself. For once.

Well I'm 34 and I usually would say that I wouldn't date a man below 30. However I will make an exception if I'm interested enough but definitely not below 27.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Well I'm 34 and I usually would say that I wouldn't date a man below 30. However I will make an exception if I'm interested enough but definitely not below 27.

:)

Unless you're REALLY interested, then its 24, right? :p

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Unless you're REALLY interested, then its 24, right? :p

No. Unless I'm REALLY REALLY interested, then it's 21 :p

Half your age plus 4, isn't that the rule???

Bring on the 24 year olds!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

No. Unless I'm REALLY REALLY interested, then it's 21 :p
    We going on a date or what then? :p

armaghlad wrote: »
    We going on a date or what then? :p

Are you 21? All my Christmases have come at once :p

• Advertisement

Are you 21? All my Christmases have come at once :p
    I'm whatever you want me to be ;)

I'm whatever you want me to be ;)

*rolls eyes*

I'll insert you in to my fantasy world so.

*rolls eyes*

I'll insert you in to my fantasy world so.
    Godamit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,764 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

im 33 guy and matched with a 24 yearold girl,
    we have been getting on well and are going to meet the weekend
    Is it to much of an age gap ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Yep, I have. In my younger years I mostly used apps for hookups but I met my bf in a group chat. We started talking randomly and hit it off and for some reason I just felt like giving him my phone number then and there!

The rest, as they say is history!

Depends. I wouldn't think it would be an issue but you can't be sure until you meet. I met a very mature 18 year old and conversely a rather immature 38 year old. If the age gap doesn't bother you, go for it.

Godamit

Oh but it's a very nice fantasy world armaghlad.

In it you are 38. Tall with a fine head of black hair that curls up at the back of your neck. You're a writer or an artist. I haven't decided that. You drive around in an old Merc the colour of a green traffic light that's starting to dim. The house you live in is small and warm. We lie in front of the fire talking about our dreams and drinking whiskey or maybe gin.

Oh but it's a very nice fantasy world armaghlad.

In it you are 38. Tall with a fine head of black hair that curls up at the back of your neck. You're a writer or an artist. I haven't decided that. You drive around in an old Merc the colour of a green traffic light that's starting to dim. The house you live in is small and warm. We lie in front of the fire talking about our dreams and drinking whiskey or maybe gin.

You make me ten years older, change my hair and it's colour, give me a profession that may or may not guarantee a steady income and have given me an oul banger to drive back to my small house in... I hope the frisky sins make it worthwhile :)

You make me ten years older, change my hair and it's colour, give me a profession that may or may not guarantee a steady income and have given me an oul banger to drive back to my small house in... I hope the frisky sins make it worthwhile :)

It's a fantasy. I have created you just how I would like :p

• Advertisement

So is it ok to meet a few people when dating or do people normal expect to only see one person until they decide where to go with it,
    Like is ito k to lets say go on 3 dates 3 night in a row with different people ? or would that be seen as being an asshole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm on POF, but not going on dates or anything at the mo. It's not really a good time at the moment, but then I tell myself that all the time....so maybe it's time to accept that I really don't feel comfortable with the whole online thing....but then it looks to be my only avenue to perhaps meet someone! Le sigh! :pac: I prefer the idea of meeting someone in person from the get go, but that has never happened for me so....slight desperation at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

do you establish if you are looking for hook ups or not earlier or later?

So is it ok to meet a few people when dating or do people normal expect to only see one person until they decide where to go with it,
    Like is ito k to lets say go on 3 dates 3 night in a row with different people ? or would that be seen as being an asshole ?
    It's ok in my book but it's fairly hard work. Some girls might not like the idea of the guy they are going on a date also going on a date with someone else later that week.

I've been texting a girl for ages without actually meeting (her fault), she asked when I last had sex so I said 2 months ago (lied) thinking we weren't talking to each other that far back, she then got quite uppity at that and accused me of meeting girls while talking to her, which I suppose is true but what does she expect if she won't meet me? Can't win sometimes.

northgirl wrote: »
    I always make a point of asking a girl why she is using OD pretty promptly. It gives me the opportunity to explain why I am using it.

northgirl wrote: »
    I always make a point of asking a girl why she is using OD pretty promptly. It gives me the opportunity to explain why I am using it.
    I think most people don't know exactly what there looking for,
    I also think the older you get the more picky you become

I think most people don't know exactly what there looking for,
    I also think the older you get the more picky you become
    Agree with both. Most people have a fair idea though.

I'd have rid the crack in a tile when I was younger. Nowadays I am a living example of a beggar actively choosing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I get that question a lot from lads, and if it comes too soon it's really off putting. Particularly since I might look at one profile and think "He looks interesting, I'd like to go out with him" and look at another one seconds later and think "I bet he's great in bed"...

It wrecks my head, iv meet girls that are really nice but for some reason its like I try to find a problem so I don't have to get serious,

• Advertisement

I've been texting a girl for ages without actually meeting (her fault), she asked when I last had sex so I said 2 months ago (lied) thinking we weren't talking to each other that far back, she then got quite uppity at that and accused me of meeting girls while talking to her, which I suppose is true but what does she expect if she won't meet me? Can't win sometimes.

You hadn't even met and she was getting annoyed because you were chatting with other girls?

I'd be outta there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement