Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Group picture so nobody knows you're the funny looking one means you're not allowed to own property any more.

I hated that but learned fast! 3 hot girls, me'h swipe right... *YOU HAVE A MATCH*

So guess which one I am?

shít... why did I swipe right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I've only come to the decision that its a waste of time based on the judgement I made based on them not having a photo. If I came to the conclusion that people with no pictures were all stunners, I'd message them all.

You strike me as the type of person who never ever, under any circumstances admits that they're wrong. You're clearly wrong in this instance. Your argument is total nonsense. You're a beaten docket at this stage. Pack it in mate.
    Embellishing your posts with triumphalist "you're wrong" garbage, won't further your argument.

Again - you don't need to make any of the negative judgements being discussed in the thread, in order to decide that no-photo profiles are a waste of time - you can come to that decision, completely independent of the other judgements discussed in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

smash wrote: »
    I hated that but learned fast! 3 hot girls, me'h swipe right... *YOU HAVE A MATCH*

So guess which one I am?

shít... why did I swipe right?

The correct answer is: 'You're the hot one'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

So you think that everyone here actually agrees with your hypothesis but is just in denial?
    I think people do a regular 'bait and switch', where in one breath they deny it, then in the next breath they make an argument that the extent of it is very small (which implicitly acknowledges that it happens).

maudgonner wrote: »
    The correct answer is: 'You're the hot one'.

I tried that once. It backfired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I hate when you come across a profile of someone you find attractive but there is very little on it to write to them about other than saying they enjoy walks, night out, nights in and other vague things. So instead of firing off some generic message and not hi, how are you, you decide to wait and come up with something interesting to say as you only have one shot at it. But then you forget and you never do send a message and then you realise you haven't sent any message to anyone in weeks! Online dating is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Group picture so nobody knows you're the funny looking one means you're not allowed to own property any more.

In any profile where the only or all pics are group shots, the profile owner is guaranteed to be the ugliest one.

I hate when you come across a profile of someone you find attractive but there is very little on it to write to them about other than saying they enjoy walks, night out, nights in and other vague things. So instead of firing off some generic message and not hi, how are you, you decide to wait and come up with something interesting to say as you only have one shot at it. But then you forget and you never do send a message and then you realise you haven't sent any message to anyone in weeks! Online dating is great!
    Do they not send you messages either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Is it just me that constantly accidently superlikes people on Tinder? I try to save them for someone who's profile really interests me or makes me laugh... Instead some bot masquerading as a real girl usually gets it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What are people's opinions on opening messages talking about your looks? I don't think I'm particularly great looking, so it kind of seems strange when someone opens with. "Hey, how are things? You look beautiful in your pics."

My pics are nice representations of me, so I do feel like I look ok in them, but as someone who isn't pretty I focus a lot more on my non-appearance attributes, being a good person, being interested in my hobbies and achievements, writing well, etc. So the "beautiful" comments just seem like cheap flattery.

I know it's a me issue, and they're only trying to be nice. I just wonder if anyone else gets like this over those messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Do they not send you messages either?

Not from ones I'd find attractive

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on opening messages talking about your looks? I don't think I'm particularly great looking, so it kind of seems strange when someone opens with. "Hey, how are things? You look beautiful in your pics."

My pics are nice representations of me, so I do feel like I look ok in them, but as someone who isn't pretty I focus a lot more on my non-appearance attributes, being a good person, being interested in my hobbies and achievements, writing well, etc. So the "beautiful" comments just seem like cheap flattery.

I know it's a me issue, and they're only trying to be nice. I just wonder if anyone else gets like this over those messages.

It's not just you. I always find them a bit...odd. Not as bad as 'U so sexy xxx', but a little superficial.

And that's not to say I expect people never to be superficial, just maybe not be so blatant about it in an opening message :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I wouldn't do that. It seems a bit much to be commenting on their looks right away.

I wouldn't do that. If you're a match then it's clear you find each other attractive so there's no need for this kind of cringe.

I would sometimes comment on a girl's appearance but only if I thought she was super fit and didn't come across as one of those vein ****ers that love themselves. Usually I don't talk to them at all...

armaghlad wrote: »
    Each to their own. I like being told I'm pretty so why wouldn't a girl? It's a massive confidence boost. I wouldn't tell a girl she was good looking if I didn't mean it. If she doesn't take it at face value that's her problem :pac:

Because she's probably getting 100 messages a day telling her she's pretty. It probably gets old. It's not a massive confidence boost to someone who gets this all the time, you probably get sick of hearing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 intune

Most important is that you can click. If you can have a good conversation with each other even if you are interested in different topics then that's a start. Coming back to the original questions. I have met someone online and we are happily together since. I could have never imagined before that this would work through "online channels" but it only shows that you never know where it is coming from anyway and MOST importantly: don't "try" real hard to find someone. Just be on the lookout alright but don't force it.
    It will present itself anyway. Life goes that way and there are always another several thousand (or millions...) like you out there also hoping for the same thing to happen.

As a saying goes:
    Q: "Will I ever find the right person?" A: "Don't worry about finding the right person, but work on being the right person first of all."

It'll all happen.. in time.

Because she's probably getting 100 messages a day telling her she's pretty. It probably gets old. It's not a massive confidence boost to someone who gets this all the time, you probably get sick of hearing it.
    So you think all girls just get told their good looking? Regardless of whether they're a 5 or a 9?

So you think all girls just get told their good looking? Regardless of whether they're a 5 or a 9?

I have no idea, but if the girl is very good looking I'd imagine she gets it all the time yeah. But what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

Jesus... If you fancy someone then you fancy someone. You're not going to be messaging them unless you find them attractive so when giving a compliment you're hardly going to say "Soooo... I, eh, like your taste in decor as seen in your 4th picture there"

Oh dats me mates house.
    I still live in me ma's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Regardless of whether they're a 5 or a 9?

This guy, seriously.

I have no idea, but if the girl is very good looking I'd imagine she gets it all the time yeah. But what do I know.
    She probably does. But it's all down to a matter of taste. I've seen girls that are probably (pardon my crudeness) about a 6 or a 7in most guys books, but I think are absolutely beautiful. I'd have no problem telling them that on tinder.

The 8s and 9s (there are no tens in armaghlad's books) may well get reminded of their beauty but only if they look like they've an interesting profile and don't have all their pics selfies with the hoe filter on

RWCNT wrote: »
    This guy, seriously.
    Yeah, excuse the crudeness, but it's the universal rating system for looks.

I didn't realise mother teresa was on boards..

Yeah, excuse the crudeness, but it's the universal rating system for looks.

I didn't realise mother teresa was on boards..

What number would you give Mother Teresa?

What number are you?

The 8s and 9s (there are no tens in armaghlad's books) may well get reminded of their beauty but only if they look like they've an interesting profile and don't have all their pics selfies with the hoe filter on

Cannot stop laughing. Don't know what this phrase actually means, but I cannot stop laughing :D

What number would you give Mother Teresa?

What number are you?
    Mother Teresa is deceased. So she gets nada.

As for me? I'm numero uno. Bitch :pac:

Mother Teresa is deceased. So she gets nada.

As for me? I'm numero uno. Bitch :pac:

Then how can she be on boards silly?

1/10.

I see.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Cannot stop laughing. Don't know what this phrase actually means, but I cannot stop laughing :D
    It's the dog filter on snapchat lol :p

I'D GIVE YOU ONE

OUT OF TEN, THE BLEEDIN HACK OF YA

• Advertisement

Then how can she be on boards silly?

1/10.

I see.
    She has possessed one of the other posters duh ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement