Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

armaghlad wrote: »
    She has possessed one of the other posters duh ;)

What are you on about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

What are you on about??
    You getting all jealous cos I'm talking to another girl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 I Am Justice82

Regards to some people not have photos on their profiles, the only site or app Id feel comfortable letting someone see a real life photo of me would be Snapchat, as the person you send the photo to can only see it for a few seconds, when I did briefly try some dating sites I never felt comfortable having my photo up, likewise even with Facebook I don,t use any photo of myself on my profle pic, the way Id phrase it is some people are kinda ok having a photo up for complete strangers they,l likely never meet to look at, others aren,t and more kinda reserved , has anyone themselves or had any friends that were recognized in real life for being on a dating site ? happened to a friend of mine years ago , we were in the smoking area a woman came over and asked him " are you username on x dating site " he replied he was , he was talking to her for about 2 to 3 mins roughly, later on inside the bar her and her friends were looking over in our direction kinda giggling at him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Regards to some people not have photos on their profiles, the only site or app Id feel comfortable letting someone see a real life photo of me would be Snapchat, as the person you send the photo to can only see it for a few seconds, when I did briefly try some dating sites I never felt comfortable having my photo up, likewise even with Facebook I don,t use any photo of myself on my profle pic, the way Id phrase it is some people are kinda ok having a photo up for complete strangers they,l likely never meet to look at, others aren,t and more kinda reserved , has anyone themselves or had any friends that were recognized in real life for being on a dating site ? happened to a friend of mine years ago , we were in the smoking area a woman came over and asked him " are you username on x dating site " he replied he was , he was talking to her for about 2 to 3 mins roughly, later on inside the bar her and her friends were looking over in our direction kinda giggling at him .

In fairness....snapchats can be screen shotted

As for that wan in the bar...she'd have only seen him because she's on the site aswell :confused:

Though I do know people who do be on sites to know who is best to try chat up on nights out...but don't online....go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Just got a message.
    Hi...
    Hi...
    etc.. Lots of lols, not much conversation, then...
    What are you looking for from this site?
    I want to start a relationship with someone. How about you?
    Yeah, a relationship...
    Maybe a little fun too... lol

WHAT A BLOODY SHOCK!

Then I was looking through profiles. And a guy with a short, but to the point profile came up. His pic has a goofy smile, which is cute. His profile paints a picture of him without being rambling. So I liked his profile, turns out he liked mine too! Huzzah! So I've just messaged him but I have no idea how long ago he liked my profile, or if he's even on OKC anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I was shocked recently to discover how widespread online dating was amongst my colleagues. I had always presumed it was the preserve of chronically shy and updateable IT geeks. Which is totally fine. I understand a socially awkward nerd is never going to meet the love of their life at a high end cocktail bar.

Personally I've met most of my various love interests through professional interactions. I enjoy a real face to face interaction when it comes to assessing if there's a spark between us. Generally if there's a lady I find attractive, I'll give them my card and ask her to get in touch with my PA and arrange a lunch meeting. If that goes well I'll call them after and arrange an evening out for a pre-theatre meal in my favourite restaurant in Frankfurt, followed by whatever performance is good and finish off with a cocktail in Jimmy's in The Hessischer Hof. Then it's just a short spin home in the 5 series to my apartment. It's always important to have the Egyptian cotton sheets freshly ironed for those occasions.

The idea of swiping right and left to strangers and arranging a dull meeting in a chain coffee shop has never appealed to me.

Nothing spells romance like having my people talk to your people after ascertaining an interest in a merger.

Don't worry Aongus. I'm sure you don't need a chain coffee shop to make your every meeting a dull affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Candie wrote: »
    Nothing spells romance like having my people talk to your people after ascertaining an interest in a merger.

Reverse takeover?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Reverse takeover?

Hostile takeover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I was shocked recently to discover how widespread online dating was amongst my colleagues. I had always presumed it was the preserve of chronically shy and updateable IT geeks. Which is totally fine. I understand a socially awkward nerd is never going to meet the love of their life at a high end cocktail bar.

Personally I've met most of my various love interests through professional interactions. I enjoy a real face to face interaction when it comes to assessing if there's a spark between us. Generally if there's a lady I find attractive, I'll give them my card and ask her to get in touch with my PA and arrange a lunch meeting. If that goes well I'll call them after and arrange an evening out for a pre-theatre meal in my favourite restaurant in Frankfurt, followed by whatever performance is good and finish off with a cocktail in Jimmy's in The Hessischer Hof. Then it's just a short spin home in the 5 series to my apartment. It's always important to have the Egyptian cotton sheets freshly ironed for those occasions.

The idea of swiping right and left to strangers and arranging a dull meeting in a chain coffee shop has never appealed to me.

I met my girlfriend online, and we were at a wedding and one of uncles girlfriends how we meet, said online, the look of horror on her face was disgusting( she looked confused and disgusted, because myself and the girlfriend don't look like trolls, and she seemed to assume online dating was the last ditch effort for people)

I was shocked recently to discover how widespread online dating was amongst my colleagues. I had always presumed it was the preserve of chronically shy and updateable IT geeks.

You said updateable instead of undateable, Gus. You're really slipping lately, it's upsetting to watch.

I hope you're not becoming too dependent on the Liebfraumilch to get you through the intricacies of high finance and the pressure of exterminating the incapable. These little slips are really the thin end of the wedge.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Don't worry Aongus. I'm sure you don't need a chain coffee shop to make your every meeting a dull affair.

I'm sure if your normal conversations are about the latest Hollywood breakup or who's going to win The Voice then yes, a date with me would be boring. However, for my intellectual equals, or at least almost equals, then a date with me can make for some very provocative and stimulating conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I would audition like the X factor for a date with AVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I would audition like the X factor for a date with AVB.

I imagine he has the same haughty look of derision that Cowell had in his heyday, when faced with lesser mortals.

I'm sure if your normal conversations are about the latest Hollywood breakup or who's going to win The Voice then yes, a date with me would be boring. However, for my intellectual equals, or at least almost equals, then a date with me can make for some very provocative and stimulating conversation.

Oh, I'm a simple woman. I'm sure conversations on the stagnation of photography since the New Topographics movement, the failings of a generation engaging in a sisyphean search for authenticity, or the delicacy of South Indian Cuisine would be of no interest to someone who finds talking about the price of black goop and moving those ever stimulating numbers from market to market the ultimate in repartee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I wish I was almost your intellectual equal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I wish I was almost your intellectual equal!
    I recently read a lifehacker-type article on just this, and apparently the first step is to always ensure to leave your monocle in at night.

Now quite where exactly you leave it in wasn't specified, but I think I have a fair idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

sisyphean

Marry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Some of us do our talkin in the sheets ;)

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm a simple woman. I'm sure conversations on the stagnation of photography since the New Topographics movement, the failings of a generation engaging in a sisyphean search for authenticity, or the delicacy of South Indian Cuisine would be of no interest to someone who finds talking about the price of black goop and moving those ever stimulating numbers from market to market the ultimate in repartee.

Verbose and catachrestic. Likely very 'bohemian' with unshaved armpits.

Gerlinde would get a memo to ensure I am not sat beside Lyaiera at any future meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Careful now, we'll have none of those hyper-snap-judgements here!

Gerlinde would get a memo to ensure I am not sat beside Lyaiera at any future meetings.

Do me! Do me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do me! Do me!!

Jaysus bitta decorum wha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bluewolf wrote: »
    Jaysus bitta decorum wha :D

No time for that. The man has a busy schedule and she has immediate needs!

I don't think Aongus and I would get along very well.

In other news I was on the train earlier and thought feck it I will attempt conversation with yer man sitting across from me. His response was "I don't like to converse on trains".

Ah well.

I don't think Aongus and I would get along very well.

In other news I was on the train earlier and thought feck it I will attempt conversation with yer man sitting across from me. His response was "I don't like to converse on trains".

Ah well.
    Should've worn ordinary runners :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Your posts really are perfect. It is the hints of grandeur and the not-so-subtle insults I enjoy the most.

However, I'm not a grammar Nazi in the slightest but every time I spot a typo in your posts I die a little inside; can't explain why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Do me! Do me!!

You back off! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Debtocracy wrote: »
    This is why online dating doesn’t work in the vast majority of cases: So take a girl who is 5/10. Because all men look like rapists online and because of female hypergamy, she will only talk with an 8/10 guy or above (only 20% of guys are rated above average attractiveness online).

So the 8/10 guy and 5/10 girl get talking and go on a date. While the 8/10 guy is happy to get a date, he is probably not going to consider the girl as relationship material (he’d rather an 8/10 girl but she won’t talk to him). As such, his main motivation is to have sex with this girl rather than form any meaningful relationship. The 5/10 girl therefore concludes that all men are pigs and that there’s no good men out there, with the average nice guy barely registering on her radar (by ‘nice guy’ she means attractive, tall, wealthy nice guy).

This phenomena of female hypergamy is becoming more prevalent in general. There’s articles aplenty these days about how there’s no good men left, with women even attributing gender population discrepancies and higher proportions of gay men to account for the lack of good men. Interestingly, the main reason women attribute freezing their ovaries is not because of career progression, but because they cannot find a suitable partner. At the same time, men are increasing their standards for commitment and marriage so the mathematics are getting even worse – the amount of single people is increasing rapidly across the Western World and no amount of online dating apps can stem the tide.

someone turn you down recently?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement