Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

It should be said I do be still texting people's I meet on nights out ;)
    Not sure facebook or texting counts as online or does it? I still do both, althought not as much I'd like!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It should be said I do be still texting people's I meet on nights out ;)

That kind of 'bad' language is not appreciated around these parts, friend.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Superhero1993

What age is everyone in this thread. Could be different generations of dating. Im 22 Male

Whats a good opening line for a guy? Trying to woo a beautiful woman.

Maybe try something about her profile, interests if it's shown.

Maybe try something about her profile, interests if it's shown.

It's like the majority of women in their early twenties. Literally no info about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What age is everyone in this thread. Could be different generations of dating. Im 22 Male

Male 37........ sigh

What about an after hours singles night????

In Dublin.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

bubblypop wrote: »

In Dublin.......

HA! No way I'd meet some weirdo off the int... Hang on a second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

In Dublin.......

Can I be ref?! There'll be no snap judgements on my watch!!

Well an After Hours beers hasn't happened in quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wish sometimes it was as easy to meet someone as back in my parents day. Maybe more choice now, but it seem like higher expectations around.

That's the window shopping mentality of modern dating unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Male 37........ sigh

Young pup. 42 female....gonna have to leave Ireland to get a man I think. Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Witchie wrote:
    Young pup. 42 female....gonna have to leave Ireland to get a man I think. Dammit.

Awww. Thanks for making me feel good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Can I be ref?! There'll be no snap judgements on my watch!!

What about us out of towners? We'd have to book into a hotel somewhere and you'd be responsible for making sure we didn't sneak down the corridors to visit each others' rooms. You'd be run ragged, like a Mother Superior, watching out for our mortal souls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

In Dublin.......

Dublins miles away :-/
    (Though I'd love to hear stories of how this night would go...heard great yearns of nights years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Witchie wrote: »

where in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Well an After Hours beers hasn't happened in quite some time.

The last was attended by about 10 people , 6 or 7 were AH mods :D great craic but the community doesn't seem to be the same as it once was unfortunately. Beers are more a private forum thing these days and its more like going out with friends than strangers from the internet

Any chance Witchie and Tell Me How could hit it off?

That's the window shopping mentality of modern dating unfortunately.
    Sometimes it feels like a game of who can show more apathy to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

"My Self Summary - I'm a nice and friendly man."

Really? That's the best you can say for yourself? I would really hope that's the bare minimum of anyone I meet. It seems like someone's selling themselves on the fact they don't rob grannies. "I meet the minimum levels of social decorum."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Sometimes I don't get it. A girl likes your profile, you introduce yourself and ask her something light from her profile.
    She replies and you follow it up with another general question and then nothing. stonewalled. every. time.

I wish I was like those arrogant guys sometimes who don't give a **** and get all the hook-ups. Just don't have it in me to be like that.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The last was attended by about 10 people , 6 or 7 were AH mods :D great craic but the community doesn't seem to be the same as it once was unfortunately. Beers are more a private forum thing these days and its more like going out with friends than strangers from the internet

Yea I always feel that I couldn't go to beers, wouldn't know people well enough etc...
    BUT, if it was a singles night, allowing for invitees, it could have more attendees...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Lyaiera wrote: »
    "My Self Summary - I'm a nice and friendly man."

Really? That's the best you can say for yourself? I would really hope that's the bare minimum of anyone I meet. It seems like someone's selling themselves on the fact they don't rob grannies. "I meet the minimum levels of social decorum."

In the personality test thread someone posted a description of the villain they're most like - Benito Mussolini:

"Like Benito Mussolini, you are high in energy, sociable and spontaneous. When you are inspired to throw yourself into something, your enthusiasm is contagious, and others enjoy coming along with you for the ride."

That would make a better profile summary. It's bad when Mussolini sounds like a reasonable prospect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

I've been doing it for about 9 months, but I've only met about 10 or 11 people I think. So it's too soon to give up. I'm in my forties! I feel like maybe the first year is only learning lessons (the hard way of course!)
    I disagree with the amusing but demented theory that men who are 8s out of 10 are going on dates with women who are 5s out of 10. I think the men are so fussy at the point of messaging that when you actually get as far as meeting up in real life, the decision is the woman's. That's been my experience. I message very ordinary looking men if they have a really great interesting profile and I'm ignored at least half of the time! I did waste some time on a guy who told me he didn't want a relationship but then ignored all the normal boundaries between friendship and a relationship. I could have met him anywhere though. I don't blame the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

3 new users now. I hope Seán, Eamonn and Dav are getting this - it's the way forward for Boards!

Not your ornery onager

where in ireland

Next you will be asking for me feckin snapchat! Jaysus nosey bugger...

(Monaghan btw :D)
    Any chance Witchie and Tell Me How could hit it off?

Of course we would. He would be head over heels in love with me within minutes of meeting me and I would be crazy about him until I realise he likes "Wagon Wheel" and then I would batter him to death with my docs.

Well that is how most of my dating life seems to go these days.
    No!!!!!!!!! :(

Witchie is for me :D

How you doin......?

Well I was kind of hoping we could share :p

See one Disaronno and cherry juice and I am anyones.....

We'd be bringing an electric cattle prod for pers, don't worry about her

Ooooh Kinky! I like it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

What kind of date is it?

We went for drinks! Sat in some bar I've never been to before, had a couple of beers, a nice conversation. He's a really nice guy, could see myself hanging out with him. Though he did seem a little.. Not nervous but very attentive. I felt as though I did the majority of the speaking, but he seemed to enjoy that. I get the vibe that he was already thinking about future possibilities on the date, kept asking me what my plans were for the weekend, what I'll be up to after exams - whether or not I'll be in Dublin for the summer. But who knows maybe he was just running out of things to ask!

Overall, I had fun and I'm glad I went on the date. He seemed like a gentleman.

Witchie, I drink plenty of disaronno and cloudy Apple but disaronno and cherry? What's it like? Which juice do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

PandaX9 wrote: »
    We went for drinks! Sat in some bar I've never been to before, had a couple of beers, a nice conversation. He's a really nice guy, could see myself hanging out with him. Though he did seem a little.. Not nervous but very attentive. I felt as though I did the majority of the speaking, but he seemed to enjoy that. I get the vibe that he was already thinking about future possibilities on the date, kept asking me what my plans were for the weekend, what I'll be up to after exams - whether or not I'll be in Dublin for the summer. But who knows maybe he was just running out of things to ask!

Overall, I had fun and I'm glad I went on the date. He seemed like a gentleman.

Witchie, I drink plenty of disaronno and cloudy Apple but disaronno and cherry? What's it like? Which juice do you use?

I clicked reply, don't blame me for it quoting all your post.

He might have been nervous
    Aanyway, maybe I'm stupid, but it sounds like I need to buy a hat :)

PandaX9 wrote: »

Ooooh so glad you had a lovely night! Great to hear!

It was just Tesco own brand cherry juice. It tastes like Bakewell tarts or Almond slices....both things that I love but since developed a nut allergy 2 years ago, can no longer have. Only found out recently that I can still drink Disaronno as it is made with peach kernels rather than nuts. Amaretto on the other hand is made with almonds so can't have it. Dammit.

My local cocktail bar has the 2nd best cocktail maker in the world (and that is not me giving him that title, he genuinely came 2nd in the world championships last year) and he makes me fantastic Disaronno sours but cherry juice is just the perfect combination with it.

Oh and back to the dating stuff so as not to derail the conversation totally, are you going to meet him again?

I hope he doesn't ghost. Fecking hate them ghosty boys.

Just noticed that this thread is on page 69 on my computer.

*goes all beavis and butthead* huh a huh huh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

I clicked reply, don't blame me for it quoting all your post.

He might have been nervous
    Aanyway, maybe I'm stupid, but it sounds like I need to buy a hat :)

A hat? Like a gentleman's top hat or of the more tin foil variety?

On an aside, my taxi driver for the night was an absolute whack job and kept telling me that his friend who owns a bar on a beach in Thailand ALSO invented a cream containing "product" that cured his skin melanoma. And then he got me to give my opinion on his miracle invention, and promptly changed his tune to say "now he takes 2ml of it every day and it stops everything. He's cured a guy of stage 4 lung cancer, prostate cancer and even pancreatic" and all I could say was beejaysus that fella has the worst luck in the world so.. I felt like the taxi driver just lucid dreams so much he forgot what's real and what wasn't!

Yer man has been messaging me on whatsapp all night since I got home. He seems keen, I must have done something right :) huzzah for online dating (for now...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement