Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Elessar wrote: »
    What's a man to do?

I've had much the same experience. Every profile just seems to be a blur these days.
    Family, friends, travel.
    I never realised how many women want to be by the sea or at home watching a movie with a glass of wine until I started all this! Perhaps throw in a roaring fire too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Elessar wrote: »
    Dunno about anyone else but I'm getting terribly jaded by online dating. Although it's pretty much the only outlet for me (a single 30yr old guy), I'm fed up of texting back and forth only for radio silence after a while, or asking a girl out to just get blanked. Same types of messages, same type of chat. Now I've been doing this a good few years and have had lots of dates in that time, so I suppose you could say I'm used to it. In reality though it's a pain to go through, and I find myself not bothering lately to contact girls - only for the cycle to repeat itself. I've gone all a bit 'meh' on it. Think I need a long break, but then I'm a red blooded male with needs :p What's a man to do?
    The way I see it, the more you pursue it, the harder it is to get.

I just go with the flow. It's a bit like buses... I might go through a bit of a dry spell and then one week 3 or 4 might spring up at once. I'm texting a few at the mind and probably going on a date tomorrow (hangover permitting).

A break would do no harm though I'm sure. I took time out before and came back a lot more enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I enjoy: Short walks to the fridge, long sleeps in my bed, and eating garlic mushrooms beneath the moonlight.

You should message me: If you change your underwear before a date (ye dirty bollix ye.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Superhero1993

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I enjoy: Short walks to the fridge, long sleeps in my bed, and eating garlic mushrooms beneath the moonlight.

You should message me: If you change your underwear before a date (ye dirty bollix ye.)

I just want to give you a cuddle since you posted that message earlier that you were bitter lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If women were being honest though, most men would run a mile. It reminds me of that Facebook meme. "When you tell him you're bi, and he later realises you meant polar"

Hi, my name is Alex and I enjoy watching soaps and Geordie shore. I like going on holiday and staying in nice hotels, though I am not good at swimming, and the chlorine wrecks my hair, so lazy days by the pool doesn't really appeal to me. My hobbies include going to spas by myself, weekends away in hotels with spas, online shopping, watching YouTube videos of elephants and eating out. I also enjoy drinking wine and sucking helium out of balloons at otherwise classy events. I like dogs more than people, and if my dogs don't like you, it's a dealbreaker.
    The qualities I look for in a man... He should be patient, kind, like dogs, like cleaning, take regular showers and not be adverse to male grooming. Must show a keen interest in recieving many photos of different items of clothes during the day in order to assist in aforementioned online shopping. Must be willing to cut my toenails once we get passed the initial getting to know each other phase.
    Doesn't need to laugh at my jokes because I laugh at my own.

I can't imagine id be that appealing! Easier to say
    "Animals, travelling, going to the gym, cooking, exercising"
    Pfft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Lyaiera wrote: »

Ewwww you eat mushrooms.

*removed Lyaiera from possible dates list*

Oh no Lexie! That description is far more appealing to me than bland "I like wine and holidays". I like to think that I'm not in the minority with that.

If women were being honest though, most men would run a mile. It reminds me of that Facebook meme. "When you tell him you're bi, and he later realises you meant polar"

Hi, my name is Alex and I enjoy watching soaps and Geordie shore. I like going on holiday and staying in nice hotels, though I am not good at swimming, and the chlorine wrecks my hair, so lazy days by the pool doesn't really appeal to me. My hobbies include going to spas by myself, weekends away in hotels with spas, online shopping, watching YouTube videos of elephants and eating out. I also enjoy drinking wine and sucking helium out of balloons at otherwise classy events. I like dogs more than people, and if my dogs don't like you, it's a dealbreaker.
    The qualities I look for in a man... He should be patient, kind, like dogs, like cleaning, take regular showers and not be adverse to male grooming. Must show a keen interest in recieving many photos of different items of clothes during the day in order to assist in aforementioned online shopping. Must be willing to cut my toenails once we get passed the initial getting to know each other phase.

Pfft

My ideal night is cuddling up to the perfect man on the couch, with some nice photobooks, a fire roaring in the corner, a lovely doggie sitting at our feet, and a nice radio documentary playing. I'm looking for a man who will respect my boundaries, and me as a fully realised person. I don't want sex that often, because to be honest none of you men do much for me and are just looking for someone to jackhammer on (ew.)

Because I have none of this in my life I generally spend my time waiting for the pub to open so I can prop up the bar with the other miserable feckers but at least they actually ask me how my day was and have never once groped me or been a creep.

You should message me if you're not too much of a disappointment, but I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Oh no Lexie! That description is far more appealing to me than bland "I like wine and holidays". I like to think that I'm not in the minority with that.

And it might give you something to go on to write about when messaging

And it might give you something to go on to write about when messaging

You would think. Mine doesn't inspire much in the way of unique and interesting first messages at all at all. It's coz I is boring and weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

You would think. Mine doesn't inspire much in the way of unique and interesting first messages at all at all. It's coz I is boring and weird.

Sure aren't we all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well then...
    Ill let you buy me an apple Danish the next day we share a train ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Superhero1993

Pfft

Sorry whats wrong with the explanation? Honestly. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mandymo

I've signed up to a speed dating event next weekend, have never done it before should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Off topic posts and chat have been removed. Please try to remain on topic.

Thread reopened.

Thanks for re-opening the thread Ken. My heart dropped a little when I saw it locked. It's a really fun, and weirdly supportive little corner of AH.

I've decided to be a go-getter. I've just gone and messaged anyone who I have a mutual like with. Let's see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

Y'all are funny. I'm amazed by the number of men who put on their profiles that they love travelling. Don't they have jobs?! I've a job and kids, so every man who loves travelling is counted out. And that's all of them. Apparently. Unless they mean travelling on the Dart?

ken wrote: »
    Off topic posts and chat have been removed. Please try to remain on topic.

Thread reopened.

Feck ya....this thread is helping me procrastinate while trying to do a college assignment. Was glad it had closed coz thought I would get some work done.

Dammit.

Lyaiera, I was inspired last night to go on Tinder again for the first time in ages and it was great. Loads of matches, but none have messaged me yet. I will (once I get my college assignment done and drink a few glasses of wine later) go back and have another look and start messaging a few of the better matches.

Time to get proactive.....Witchie needs a Wizard for some magical times. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Mikkl wrote: »
    Y'all are funny. I'm amazed by the number of men who put on their profiles that they love travelling. Don't they have jobs?! I've a job and kids, so every man who loves travelling is counted out. And that's all of them. Apparently. Unless they mean travelling on the Dart?
    Why don't you have a look at the number of women who talk about their love of travelling in their profile too...
    I think in general it means nothing more than "me, I've a passport"

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

When I have travel listed it's more so I like the odd city break away or a bit of a holiday to another country instead of sitting around at home at the time on my annual leave doing nothing.

If it means trying to tick every country off a bucket list then I've got it all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Witchie wrote: »
    Feck ya....this thread is helping me procrastinate while trying to do a college assignment. Was glad it had closed coz thought I would get some work done.

Dammit.

Lyaiera, I was inspired last night to go on Tinder again for the first time in ages and it was great. Loads of matches, but none have messaged me yet. I will (once I get my college assignment done and drink a few glasses of wine later) go back and have another look and start messaging a few of the better matches.

Time to get proactive.....Witchie needs a Wizard for some magical times. :D
    What part of the country are ya? So I know how far to extend my distance :p

armaghlad wrote: »
    What part of the country are ya? So I know how far to extend my distance :p

Am right next door to ya baby....but am too old and decrepit for the likes of you!

In fact my house is about 3 miles from the border of Armagh. :eek:

Thank you Ken :)

It has been a while since I sent the first message. I've just spotted a profile and thought 'oh I like the look of you'. My message was a little odd so I'm not holding out much hope of a response.

"I like your curly face, It matches my curly hair.

You're right about pizza. It really is king. In fact I wrote a poem about it's amazingness.

Pepperoni and mushrooms and peppers and cheese. All of the toppings which make me say please, Thin base or thick base stuffed base or flatbread. Pizza is all that's inside my head. Sauce in my hair and ham up my nose. But I don't care. In to my mouth it goes"!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

That's brilliant! It's just the kind of message Id respond to - I mean who could resist a poem about pizza!

Anyone who doesn't respond to a poem about pizza isn't worth having in your life. They'd be the kind of person who doesn't like potatoes, and who kicks puppies for fun.

Karmella wrote: »
    That's brilliant! It's just the kind of message Id respond to - I mean who could resist a poem about pizza!

I really do love pizza! It's one of my favourite foods :) Although I've a feeling this guy prefers artisan pizzas with olives and sun-dried tomatoes from Donnybrook Fayre. I'm more a Goodfellas woman myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Goodfellas do good gf pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Do people make less effort to meet someone on a night out now because of online dating? Is it generally easier/better than meeting people the old fashioned way?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

I really do love pizza! It's one of my favourite foods :) Although I've a feeling this guy prefers artisan pizzas with olives and sun-dried tomatoes from Donnybrook Fayre. I'm more a Goodfellas woman myself.

Ha ha you'll probably find that his profile claims this but really he's just like the rest of us ;)

• Advertisement

Do people make less effort to meet someone on a night out now because of online dating? Is it generally easier/better than meeting people the old fashioned way?

I really don't know. I can see how online dating would take over because of the ease with which you can chat. Lying in your bed with a screen in front of you is far less daunting than heading out for a night. However it hasn't changed nights out for me or my single friends. We are just as open to meeting a man in a pub or wherever as we are online. In fact I love the feeling of not knowing what a night out can bring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement