Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Superhero1993

You're a sweetheart :)

Typicl guys. A Lovely and articulate woman single. I apologise for my gender :D

:)

You know I envy you your age. Your twenties is a really fun time. There's so much of yourself to discover. I don't doubt you will meet a lovely girl but make sure to have fun along the way x

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Pfft when her ideal saturday night includes smash brothers and mario kart then you can apologize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

Pfft when her ideal saturday night includes smash brothers and mario kart then you can apologize.

He can apologise to me so! :p

:)

You know I envy you your age. Your twenties is a really fun time. There's so much of yourself to discover. I don't doubt you will meet a lovely girl but make sure to have fun along the way x

I always wonder what fun means. It's not sex is it? Or do ya mean like sponataneous trips? Im all for the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Would go for more worms 2:Armageddon and crash team racing tbh..

If only there was an online dating app that integrated with my PSN account.

I always wonder what fun means. It's not sex is it? Or do ya mean like sponataneous trips? Im all for the latter.

Well it's whatever fun means for you.
    Sex, staying out until 4 am, spontaneity, freedom, all of the things.

Then again I'm 34 and I have all of that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Riding on/during spontaneous trips :P

See the world...don't settle with first wan and put dreams/plans on hold for them

I've friends that'll never travel etc as they couldn't convince their OH to go and it's a fair compromise to make for an at best middling relationship

It's ok to be all for the former as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I've been reading this thread a few weeks now. Have to be honest, scares the bejeesus out of me reading how fickle and demanding meeting someone new is these days. I'm 39 and have a very checkered past. I eat those 'school of hard knocks' buffoons for breakfast when it comes to the truth of my life and honesty and openness is my Achilles heel. I wear my heart on my sleeve.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to start dating, been through a hard breakup recently and have no interest in hook ups. I have a feeling when I do decide to go for it I am going to find it hard in this kind of environment. I refuse to lie about my past. It made me who I am today.

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread a few weeks now. Have to be honest, scares the bejeesus out of me reading how fickle and demanding meeting someone new is these days. I'm 39 and have a very checkered past. I eat those 'school of hard knocks' buffoons for breakfast when it comes to the truth of my life and honesty and openness is my Achilles heel. I wear my heart on my sleeve.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to start dating, been through a hard breakup recently and have no interest in hook ups. I have a feeling when I do decide to go for it I am going to find it hard in this kind of environment. I refuse to lie about my past. It made me who I am today.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you find demanding about the current dating environment?

Hopefully you will have good luck and meet people with similar interests to yourself. Regarding the bolded statement, surely that applies to everyone - dating scene or not? But it is a very valid statement nonetheless and I also think it is important to be true to ones self.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

PandaX9 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you find demanding about the current dating environment?

People having a checklist of what they want in a partner could be one thing. The window shopping mentality that come with OD. There may be more options nowadays but its probably more difficult to really connect with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There may be more options nowadays but its probably more difficult to really connect with someone.

But it's not. I find that this kind of line is pushed hard only by those who haven't had success with the services.

There are also still traditional channels out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Hopefully you will have good luck and meet people with similar interests to yourself. Regarding the bolded statement, surely that applies to everyone - dating scene or not? But it is a very valid statement nonetheless and I also think it is important to be true to ones self.

It just seems incredibly vapid and shallow to dismiss so many potential matches based on extraordinarily small amounts of information, most of which is probably embellished or guarded to try to maximise potential suitors.

I'm not overly optimistic in my chances whilst being honest. I left school at 14, was homeless at 16. Addicted to drugs by 17. Prison at 20. Got off drugs but became an alcoholic. Humbled through life for years until getting sober years ago. 2 part time kids. Underemployed.

To offset all that, I'm fit, I'm not unattractive, I'm ferociously intelligent with many interests. I'm insightful, honest and open and I'm a demon in bed. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm no stalker but he also bought a house for his family and is doing all the renovations, right down to tearing up the bathroom floor and doing all the pipes again by himself. (I read your thread with interest one of the nights I couldn't sleep). I'm not here to stroke anyone's ego, but that's dedicated, hard work, and I for one was seriously impressed with the dedication and love you put into it for your children. Bad decisions you made as a teenager doesn't need to follow you around forever. I'm not saying lie about your past but there is more to you than a part time dad that used to be a drug addict on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mikkl

I had loads of fun in my 20s without having much sex and it was easy for one reason, there were still loads of other single people about! Whatever it occurred to me to do, see, visit, eat, drink, try.... I only had to glance about and there was a gang of stragglers (my flat mates!) who were willing to tag along or invite me to whatever they were doing.

Also, people cut you a lot of slack in your twenties! And there's a freedom in that that you only recognise when you're in your 30s and relatives are staring at you with big eyes asking you if you're still working as a receptionist, emphasis on still. Or asking you if you have a boyfriend yet. Bit more emphasis on the yet. Have you bought a flat yet? Are you saving? Have you a deposit? Have you passed your driving test. Suddenly all the allowances people made for you in your 20s are not being made any more!! People joke (90% joke) about freezing your eggs. 100 watt bulb above you, you're tied to a chair.

Mikkl wrote: »
    I had loads of fun in my 20s without having much sex and it was easy for one reason, there were still loads of other single people about! Whatever it occurred to me to do, see, visit, eat, drink, try.... I only had to glance about and there was a gang of stragglers (my flat mates!) who were willing to tag along or invite me to whatever they were doing.

Also, people cut you a lot of slack in your twenties! And there's a freedom in that that you only recognise when you're in your 30s and relatives are staring at you with big eyes asking you if you're still working as a receptionist, emphasis on still. Or asking you if you have a boyfriend yet. Bit more emphasis on the yet. Have you bought a flat yet? Are you saving? Have you a deposit? Have you passed your driving test. Suddenly all the allowances people made for you in your 20s are not being made any more!! People joke (90% joke) about freezing your eggs. 100 watt bulb above you, you're tied to a chair.

Its just when people say 'you're only young, have some fun', I always thought they meant meaningless sex which I don't do. If it means go mental, having the craic, going on holidays with mates etc im all for that ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I don't really live my life by this code, I just used it as an example of what I would like to think my future will be like. However I know that is not a very realistic or likely thing to happen and in no way is it a goal. It's more a "what if..".

I'm 30 now. Always thought that i'd be married and have kids by now. Probably would be the case had I met the right person but that's proved to be more difficult than my teenage self envisaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Karmella wrote: »
    I think someone else mentioned they wouldn't date someone older than their older brother and I'm the same I guess - my eldest brother is 48 this year.

I'm like that in reverse. My sister is 23 so kind of look at 24 as the minimum age. So 24 - 30 really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Its just when people say 'you're only young, have some fun', I always thought they meant meaningless sex which I don't do. If it means go mental, having the craic, going on holidays with mates etc im all for that ha
    Why do you not do meaningless sex?

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I'm like that in reverse. My sister is 23 so kind of look at 24 as the minimum age. So 24 - 30 really.

Same as I'd find it hard to go older than my oldest sibling....would take convincing

But em I dunno about how young...would really depend on person involved but deffo not a student age

armaghlad wrote: »

It's not for everyone (nothing wrong with it either way IMO)

For reasons I'd not go into...I couldn't see myself going for it with someone I don't really know

(But could be talked into a FWB situation for temp arrangement)

Just prefer to wait till I feel close to the woman.

Just prefer to wait till I feel close to the woman.

Not a thing wrong with that either. Sex for a lot of people is much better when you know/care about the other person

I truly believe you are not alone regarding having a hard past. Weathering personal storms is not a competition. There is no need to "eat those school of hard knocks buffoons"

Honesty and openness are qualities that I very much value and have. I don't doubt either of us are alone there.

Not a thing wrong with that either. Sex for a lot of people is much better when you know/care about the other person
    Yeah I understand that. But say the opportunity presented itself, something sporadic and unplanned... you'd turn it down?

Yeah I understand that. But say the opportunity presented itself, something sporadic and unplanned... you'd turn it down?

When I was single, I had about three "friends" I would alternate between. I knew them all a really long time. Two of them are still good friends of mine. It was much easier for me to text one of them to come over, because at least then I didn't have to bother putting on makeup.

Not like having sex with a stranger, getting a really awful cramp in your leg and not being comfortable enough with them to tell them to stop for a minute. Or trying to get up and sneak off before they wake up and see you with panda eyes and scarecrow hair. Or if you get your period you can be like, well that's awks isn't it, rather than being so scarlet you search daft for two days looking for other counties to move to.

I'm a big fan of Fwb. Not so much casual sex. Personally, of course.

I probably wouldn't.

Man!! :D

It just seems incredibly vapid and shallow to dismiss so many potential matches based on extraordinarily small amounts of information, most of which is probably embellished or guarded to try to maximise potential suitors.

In my experience, people are more inclined to have definitive thoughts on what it is they don't want as opposed to what it is they do want. For that reason, I suppose it is easy for someone to justify their ruling out a potential suitor when one of the "do not want" boxes gets filled due to knowing specifically what they don't given attractive, but having a more general approach to what they do find attractive. I'm not sure I'm phrasing this properly given that I'm half asleep.

From the latter third of the post I quoted you seem a wholly confident guy. Confidence is very attractive so I'm sure you'll get on fine!

• Advertisement

Each to their own. I've had plenty of such "sporadic" encounters. I was meant to have an arrangement with a girl (her suggestion) but I never heard from her again, and I'm not the kind of guy to text a girl twice. Which is a shame because we got on great in the sheets.

If finding a partner on OD is hard, finding a fwb is like trying to get blood out of a stone! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement